Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

From US back to UK mortgage as non resident

From US back to UK mortgage as non resident

Old Apr 24th 2018, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Moo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond repute
Default From US back to UK mortgage as non resident

Hi all we have lived in CT for 18 months, we kept our UK bank accounts and credit cards but sold our home (using parents address for banks etc). My husbands company wants to move us back over the summer. My main question is has anyone obtained a UK mortgage while living oversea’s. We have contacted a few banks and they will not give a mortgage as we are not resident. HSBC I know do mortgages but for some reason they have turned us down. Just wanted some advise is it possible or and I going to do something very illegal???😳
TIA
Gemma
Old Apr 26th 2018, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: From US back to UK mortgage as non resident

Very hard unless you have a huge deposit and a huge amount of money to temp the banks with.
Have you tried Barclays Wealth management.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

Moo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond reputeMoo52 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
Very hard unless you have a huge deposit and a huge amount of money to temp the banks with.
Thanks we are waiting for a call back from Braclays so keeping our fingers crossed.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Benson55
Much easier when you have lots of money, but by law the 9 biggest banks are required to offer a basic fee-free checking account

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...-bank-accounts

Who offers fee-free bank accounts?
Any bank or building society can offer a fee-free basic bank account, but since September 2016, the nine largest banks are required to offer them.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Much easier when you have lots of money, but by law the 9 biggest banks are required to offer a basic fee-free checking account

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.u...-bank-accounts
The OP has bank accounts, they are asking about getting a mortgage.

You may do better approaching a mortgage broker. They often have choices which are not generally available. Even then I think you may be struggling, until you get yourselves established back in the UK.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic

You may do better approaching a mortgage broker. They often have choices which are not generally available. Even then I think you may be struggling, until you get yourselves established back in the UK.
Thank you, yep may need to get back and rent for a few months
Old Apr 27th 2018, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MidAtlantic
Doh!!

So he is, I better lay off this
Old May 3rd 2018, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

VeryVeritas is an unknown quantity at this point

I met with HSBC bank representatives on a recent trip to find out what sort of mortgage products they offered and whether we qualified. If you have a premier account with them and unlimited right to enter/leave the country, they have a number of very competitive mortgage options. The premier account does require a minimum balance--but you can potentially satisfy this in a number of ways and link a US and a UK account, as it is the latter that will enable you to take advantage of UK mortgage lending through them. If you have a chunk of savings from the sale of your house, or US retirement accounts such as an IRA, or brokerage, direct deposit of income, etc. you can potentially meet the deposit minimum which I believe is 100K USD. However, having only recently left the UK and assuming you had established credit there, and that you are buying a primary residence versus an investment property, I would think there are more options available to you than just this.
Old May 6th 2018, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Benson55 is an unknown quantity at this point

HSBC told me in Canada is was $200,000 into the Premier account and they will assist in setting up at the other end in the UK including mortgage application with them as long as working, so no good when retired.
I opened a free fee lower account with the intention os upgrading when ready to return to UK, they will open the account with an Advanced or Premier account.
The issue I had is that the currency exchange rate is above the interbank rate, a bit like Paypal does to make themselves more fees.
The Clark I sat with suggested putting the $200k in here and then transferring it over there using Transferwise which would save around 4% in rates.