Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

In the US 50 yrs, want to go home now

In the US 50 yrs, want to go home now

Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:04 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In the US 50 yrs, want to go home now

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Aww dont be such an incredible nob. It was an oversight that doesnt make you Sherlock Holmes, spic!
Oversights are something that plague your threads constantly but in your case it can`t be helped.

You do seem to have the brain power of an average spic as well, I do pity you.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:05 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Ask yourself "Is this bickering adding to the useful information posted here"

If you come up with "yes", then think again cos its the WRONG ANSWER.
I guess this is where the bickering stops.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Oversights are something that plague your threads constantly but in your case it can`t be helped.

You do seem to have the brain power of an average spic as well, I do pity you.
Thanks twatty know it all. Who gives a flying **** if you graduated from Hogwarts with flying colours, you couldnt distinguish between your arse and your elbow without guidance. Eat my arse Ranunculus!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You really do want to be banned dont you?

Hey, Im just trying to prevent you looking like a total arse to anyone who happens to stroll into this thread, but sadly there is only so much I can do...
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:14 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Thanks twatty know it all. Who gives a flying **** if you graduated from Hogwarts with flying colours, you couldnt distinguish between your arse and your elbow without guidance. Eat my arse Ranunculus!!!!!!!!!!!
Hogwarts-Actually I`m not a fan of Harry Potter.

Ranunculus-First time I `ve been referred to as a plant.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:16 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Please ...... thats enough.
Please take the time to read posting rule 1

Thank you
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Singlebritgal
Hi, I have lived in the US most of my life now, I am 61. My entire family is Brit, yet they thought it would be great to live here in the US. Why? Why? Why? I miss my home, near London so much. I lived there off and on until I was 10. Then just an occassional visit. My last husband never understood my strong British-ness. Now I am in the last years of my life, alone at 61, I just want to meet a fellow Brit, here in the Bay Area of San Francisco, who understands what it might mean to go home to England. I would give up everything to go home to 'mother'.
I'm surprised, given the size and diversity of the Bay Area, that you haven't met any other Brits there (maybe I'm misreading your post). Have you tried looking online to see if there's a Meetup.com interest group in SF that is devoted to the U.K.?

As alluded to already, the UK has changed exponentially in 50 years (1959 ... film footage of that era seems like ancient history ... that's my birth era also, so not trying to make you feel bad!). The USA, UK, Europe, etc., are completely different countries/territories now than they were back then. Please don't plan a permanent return based on memories. A one-year "vacation" would be long enough for you to get a good feel for whether present-day UK is your home more so than present-day US.

Sometimes we are looking for something that doesn't exist. We think we are looking for a place, but in fact we are looking for an era or situation that no longer exists.

I think the idea of travelling with your sister is an excellent one. Where does she live currently? How does she feel about where she belongs?
Old Jul 15th 2009, 6:23 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

You don't say if you have made trips back to the UK at all (recently or otherwise), but it seems the obvious thing would be to make one now. As someone said, it probably needs to be moderately extensive: if you pop by for a week or two you're not going to get any idea of whether you'd want to be here permanently or not.

If you're really thinking about moving to the UK, now's the time to do it: it will be harder in 10 years' time and much harder in 20 years' time.

All of this leaves aside the financial issues, of course, but I am assuming that you could, in the first instance, afford to make a trip to Britain of a couple of months?

Another option, of course, which people do choose after they retire, is to spend part of the year in one country and part in another. This must have its drawbacks — does one feel as if one actually lives anywhere — but it also has its advantages (if nothing else, it would give you more of a taster of present-day life in the UK and whether that might suit you), and it obviously suits some people.

All the best.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 1:44 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I had much in common as I lived in the US for 45 years after my parents moved me there. I, like you, wanted to come home. I did. I was warned its changed and it'll be hard.....Ya know, if that's what your heart tells you, then do it. I would recommend a trip first as it can be very helpful in sorting things out. You are very fortunate that your sister can come with you. I say you should do this. Dont let people put you off your dream.
I came over without visiting first and brought my American husband and children. It was very hard at first, but it settles in time. I will always be thankful that I made to move to come 'home'. It becomes more home again to me everyday, and I love it. I think you can appreciate it even more if you have been away for so long. For some people that 'Britishness' never goes away, and you know it in your heart.
Good luck to you.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 2:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by callé
Hi
I had much in common as I lived in the US for 45 years after my parents moved me there. I, like you, wanted to come home. I did. I was warned its changed and it'll be hard.....Ya know, if that's what your heart tells you, then do it. I would recommend a trip first as it can be very helpful in sorting things out. You are very fortunate that your sister can come with you. I say you should do this. Dont let people put you off your dream.
I came over without visiting first and brought my American husband and children. It was very hard at first, but it settles in time. I will always be thankful that I made to move to come 'home'. It becomes more home again to me everyday, and I love it. I think you can appreciate it even more if you have been away for so long. For some people that 'Britishness' never goes away, and you know it in your heart.
Good luck to you.
Hey there - glad to see you're still lurking and that you are happy in the UK.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by callé
Hi
Good luck to you.
well said...calle...thanks again