Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Urgent help with pet shipping

Urgent help with pet shipping

Old Oct 5th 2012, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Urgent help with pet shipping

We will be going into Manchester. Another odd thing on this is that it is cheaper to buy a return flight ticket than a one way. We are buying 6 month returns, not that I ever want to come back. 23 years is longer than a sentence for murder. Of course I will miss some things; cheap petrol, unlimited gun ownership, being able to shoot/kill burglars, crime free County, cheap property, no planning permission needed outside of town, being able to take the piss out of the locals without them understanding, the weather, accurate weather forecasting, frozen burgers from Sam's (as long as the piece of yellow stuff is thrown away first), lack of import duty from China/Far East, low local sales tax.
Won't miss the corrupt medical crooks, or the stupidity of neither history or geography being taught in the local schools, listening to locals quoting Fox News as if what they heard came down on 'tablets' carried by Moses; being told that they paid for WWII, whereas the Brits recently finished paying the last bit of interest. Listening to Obama being called that Kenyan or Nigerian Niggra Moslom. They couldn't find either of those places on a map.
Sorry, about that, but the Chief Deputy just left after telling me that "Yor Boy's getting his arse whupped on TV tonight." I don't vote as I never gave up being a Royalist Brit.
Very Funny!
Old Oct 5th 2012, 1:02 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Very Funny!
Thanks for that comment. If we didn't see the funny side of living in rural GA we would have gone insane.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 1:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
Thanks for that comment. If we didn't see the funny side of living in rural GA we would have gone insane.
Sorry, OT, but what part of rual GA were you in (approximately; I'm not planning on stalking you)?

I was in GA for 4 years (Athens) and had the opportunity to move back recenty (to Statesboro), but it was the ruralness of that area that put me off.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 1:54 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by dunroving
Sorry, OT, but what part of rual GA were you in (approximately; I'm not planning on stalking you)?

I was in GA for 4 years (Athens) and had the opportunity to move back recenty (to Statesboro), but it was the ruralness of that area that put me off.
So, are you in Statesboro, or Scotland? You can stalk me if you like, might be fun.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 2:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

So, are you in Statesboro, or Scotland? You can stalk me if you like, might be fun.
I'm currently still in Scotland (if you click on my profile, there's a timeline of my meanderings).

I turned down the opportunity in Statesboro. It might not be as rural as where you are, and of course it has a university, but it is a bit out in the middle of nowhere (for the east coast, at least - probably nothing compared to Iowa or Montana). It was a very interesting position, but in the end, 3 hrs from Atlanta Airport, with no public transport there, and the centre of the universe sounding like it was the local steak house seemed a bit too "rural" for me.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 2:15 pm
MCROW

I'm currently still in Scotland (if you click on my profile, there's a timeline of my meanderings).

I turned down the opportunity in Statesboro. It might not be as rural as where you are, and of course it has a university, but it is a bit out in the middle of nowhere (for the east coast, at least - probably nothing compared to Iowa or Montana). It was a very interesting position, but in the end, 3 hrs from Atlanta Airport, with no public transport there, and the centre of the universe sounding like it was the local steak house seemed a bit too "rural" for me.
How dare you! Statesboro is a mega metropolis. Okay, it's full of young wankers with well off fathers, but it is fun out braking them in their Lexus or Range Rovers, into corners with my 1998 two ton F150 truck.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 2:34 pm
Ping-ponger

How dare you! Statesboro is a mega metropolis. Okay, it's full of young wankers with well off fathers, but it is fun out braking them in their Lexus or Range Rovers, into corners with my 1998 two ton F150 truck.
Are you sure you want to leave rural GA?
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:02 pm
MCROW

Are you sure you want to leave rural GA?
In many ways, no. But there are many emotional benefits in going home. Financially it makes sense to stay here. We are both old now, if young at heart, and have decided that we shall rent a house rather than buy one. Our only 'child' is in her mid 40's and became an Australian a few years back. She was working in Texas until recently, so it was a 3 hour trip to visit. Now it's 26 hours, so that might just as well be from the UK as here.
We have the house for sale, along with 20 acres of pine trees a few miles away, and what we've been offered for both places doesn't buy us a detached bungalow up the Swansea Valley. My wife has family there.
Oh well...
Old Oct 5th 2012, 3:55 pm
Ping-ponger

In many ways, no. But there are many emotional benefits in going home. Financially it makes sense to stay here. We are both old now, if young at heart, and have decided that we shall rent a house rather than buy one. Our only 'child' is in her mid 40's and became an Australian a few years back. She was working in Texas until recently, so it was a 3 hour trip to visit. Now it's 26 hours, so that might just as well be from the UK as here.
We have the house for sale, along with 20 acres of pine trees a few miles away, and what we've been offered for both places doesn't buy us a detached bungalow up the Swansea Valley. My wife has family there.
Oh well...
I got your PM, thanks.

Are you stuck on the Swansea valley? I have (or rather, had) a friend who lived there and she loved it so I can understand, but when I lived in the valleys (north of Cardiff), there were some very affordable houses around there.

One particular village I liked was Caegarw, across the road from Mountain Ash. Very accessible to rail links, on the correct side of the road for getting to Cardiff (it's a left turn onto the main drag, so no problems needing to get across the rush hour traffic), close access to the Brecons and Heads of the Valleys road, and close to country parks. Bit of a drive to Swansea though, I suppose, if that's where the missis' family lives.

Some areas of South Wales around there can be a bit depressing because they are economically very challenged, but this was a nice spot with affordable housing.

I know what you mean about house prices, though - rural areas of the southeast USA seemed almost completely unaffected by the property bubble, so don't bring in much when you sell them these days.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 5:26 pm
MCROW

I got your PM, thanks.

Are you stuck on the Swansea valley? I have (or rather, had) a friend who lived there and she loved it so I can understand, but when I lived in the valleys (north of Cardiff), there were some very affordable houses around there.
At one time we lived in Risca, as I was involved with the company that built, not designed, the BBC "B" computer.

One particular village I liked was Caegarw, across the road from Mountain Ash. Very accessible to rail links, on the correct side of the road for getting to Cardiff (it's a left turn onto the main drag, so no problems needing to get across the rush hour traffic), close access to the Brecons and Heads of the Valleys road, and close to country parks. Bit of a drive to Swansea though, I suppose, if that's where the missis' family lives.
Indeed yes. Most of my family are gone, or mad.

Some areas of South Wales around there can be a bit depressing because they are economically very challenged, but this was a nice spot with affordable housing.
I know what you mean about house prices, though - rural areas of the southeast USA seemed almost completely unaffected by the property bubble, so don't bring in much when you sell them these days.[/QUOTE]

We have a 3/4 bedroomed house on 3 acres, dead end road with pecan orchards across the street and behind us. 1,200 square foot office/electronic workshop with air conditioning, and the estate agent suggested we offer it at $120K!!! Not one 'looker' so far. The corner property of 20 acres of pine trees two miles away, that has no planning restrictions, we are asking $65K for has had 4 'lookers' in the past 11 months.
If only we could move one of them to South Wales!
Old Oct 5th 2012, 6:39 pm
Ping-ponger

At one time we lived in Risca, as I was involved with the company that built, not designed, the BBC "B" computer.

Indeed yes. Most of my family are gone, or mad.

I know what you mean about house prices, though - rural areas of the southeast USA seemed almost completely unaffected by the property bubble, so don't bring in much when you sell them these days.

We have a 3/4 bedroomed house on 3 acres, dead end road with pecan orchards across the street and behind us. 1,200 square foot office/electronic workshop with air conditioning, and the estate agent suggested we offer it at $120K!!! Not one 'looker' so far. The corner property of 20 acres of pine trees two miles away, that has no planning restrictions, we are asking $65K for has had 4 'lookers' in the past 11 months.
If only we could move one of them to South Wales!
I would love to move my former single-storey house in NC to here, with the nice back yard. Sold it for the equivalent of £60k and that barely covers a deposit on a former council terraced here.
Old Oct 5th 2012, 9:00 pm
MCROW

I would love to move my former single-storey house in NC to here, with the nice back yard. Sold it for the equivalent of £60k and that barely covers a deposit on a former council terraced here.
As mother (born in 1898) used say "If ifs and ans were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers"
Looked at one on offer 'up the valley' today with a "Huge Master Bedroom with built in wardrobes" that is smaller than our second bathroom.
But my favourite quote so far, was to be told that 'yes there is one' (a "Waste Disposal" unit) it's outside.
Oh well...