Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Urgent help with pet shipping

Urgent help with pet shipping

Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:34 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice
Default Re: Urgent help with pet shipping

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
They can enter via Heathrow and Manchester. I believe Edinburgh is now or soon will be on the list. Although it's not widely known, animals are ablr to come directly into Belfast from NYC. I know that as I have done it. The cheapest way is to fly directly into Europe (Amsterdam, Brussels etc.,) and come through the Chunnel. That way if it is a small dog it can be in the cabin with you. It still does need the same DEFRA paperwork.
Thank you for that.
So, if all paperwork in order, how soon can dog be picked up from Manchester or Heathrow? Again conflicting answers from agents in rural GA.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeltaSierra70
Thank you for that.
So, if all paperwork in order, how soon can dog be picked up from Manchester or Heathrow? Again conflicting answers from agents in rural GA.
It really depends on how busy they are as I understand it. I read where someone said about four hours. In Belfast they picked up my dog at the airport and took him to the vet quarantine unit which is not actually at the airport He was checked out and picked up two hours later. He only weighs four and a half pounds and was perfectly fine :-)
Old Sep 12th 2012, 5:30 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on how busy they are as I understand it. I read where someone said about four hours. In Belfast they picked up my dog at the airport and took him to the vet quarantine unit which is not actually at the airport He was checked out and picked up two hours later. He only weighs four and a half pounds and was perfectly fine :-)
4 hours for me at Heathrow ARC, but also saw someone post that they only had to wait an hour at Heathrow.
Old Sep 12th 2012, 9:37 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

4 hours at Manchester for us, but it was the weekend.

One thing to note - Heathrow is the only airport in England where animals can fly in on a different plane to their owners. We wanted to come in to Manchester, so had to be on the same plane. No earthly idea why.
Old Sep 13th 2012, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

JasonnJane is an unknown quantity at this point

we went through ladyhaye to fly our dog back from Calgary to Manchester. They sent all the paperwork through around a month before we flew. I went to the vets two days before we left to get his final check, worming and paperwork completion etc, then to the CFIA to have all the paperwork endorsed, only to find that the paperwork was out of date, which made a lot of running around and panic that day for me.
Just check you have the most up to date paperwork before you get your vet to complete

We landed back into the uk last week and are soooooo happy......good luck
Old Sep 23rd 2012, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

lizzylou is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for that.
Would like to hear how it turns out for you. We are planning a move next fall back to the UK. We live in rural south Georgia and flying pets out of Savannah would be closer then Orlando or Altanta.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 5:30 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Originally Posted by lizzylou
Would like to hear how it turns out for you. We are planning a move next fall back to the UK. We live in rural south Georgia and flying pets out of Savannah would be closer then Orlando or Altanta.
Sorry for the delay in my reply...
Flying to almost anywhere from Savannah means changing planes in Atlanta: frown:
The move is still 'up in the air' as we have to sell some land a couple of miles away, and then sell the house. Had offers on the land that fell through, and nothing on the house yet.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point

they can enter through gatwick aswell cant they? Our dog went from gatwick to the us. we are bringing our cat back this year - we have had her chipped also we wont use a carrier we will do it ourselves - we did it for the dog with no problems and saved a fortune, you only have to drop them off at the airport with the paperwork.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 7:02 pm
MCROW

Originally Posted by ohwottodo
they can enter through gatwick aswell cant they? Our dog went from gatwick to the us. we are bringing our cat back this year - we have had her chipped also we wont use a carrier we will do it ourselves - we did it for the dog with no problems and saved a fortune, you only have to drop them off at the airport with the paperwork.
Mixed information on allowed/designated animal arrival from the US. I have the company Travel Agent working on it today, and will let you know what he learns.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 8:44 pm
MCROW

Default Re: UPDATED INFO~~~Urgent help with pet shipping

Mixed information on allowed/designated animal arrival from the US. I have the company Travel Agent working on it today, and will let you know what he learns.
This from the Company Travel Agent.

"If we use the following information for illustrative purposes - the dog and cat each weigh 10 pounds, and each can comfortably fit in a kennel that measures 21 x 16 x 15 inches (ie, the pet can stand-up, sit down, and turn around without touching the sides or top of the kennel.) - then the following costs apply: $635.97 Delta's cost for shipping both pets from Savannah into the UK one way, and a UK charge of $750.00 'clearance fee' for the 1st pet and $20.00 for the 2nd pet. Of course, if the weight of each pet is more or less than 10 pounds, or a different kennel size is required for one or both pets, the Delta charge could change.

You would supply the kennels for each pet. The kennel must be hard plastic, with parts held together by metal screws and bolts. A pet store should be able to let you know if a kennel is "airline approved".

One final point: pets would travel as cargo on the same flight as you and Lee. Once your Delta flight(s) into the UK are booked/ticketed, you would call Delta Cargo (ie, at least 3 days in advance but no more than 14 days in advance) with your flight confirmation and complete the shipping arrangements for your pets."

I reality, I will go at least two weeks prior to my wife with a cat, and she will travel with the small dog, which means 2 times the $750 fee. I need to check if that is $'s of £'s. He's a great travel agent and we have used his firm for at least 15 years.
PM me if you want his phone number.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 9:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohwottodo
Acceptable routes out of the UK aren't the same as acceptable routes/ports of entry into the UK, as far as I recall.

I don't know if the list of approved routes into the UK has changed since the regulations have changed from the old "Pet Passport" regulations, but this information should be easily findable on the DEFRA site.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:07 pm
MCROW

Originally Posted by dunroving
Acceptable routes out of the UK aren't the same as acceptable routes/ports of entry into the UK, as far as I recall.

I don't know if the list of approved routes into the UK has changed since the regulations have changed from the old "Pet Passport" regulations, but this information should be easily findable on the DEFRA site.
Our information on pets coming from the US by air, is Manchester or Heathrow, but then it was an American who told me. So, C.E.
We will be going into Manchester. Another odd thing on this is that it is cheaper to buy a return flight ticket than a one way. We are buying 6 month returns, not that I ever want to come back. 23 years is longer than a sentence for murder. Of course I will miss some things; cheap petrol, unlimited gun ownership, being able to shoot/kill burglars, crime free County, cheap property, no planning permission needed outside of town, being able to take the piss out of the locals without them understanding, the weather, accurate weather forecasting, frozen burgers from Sam's (as long as the piece of yellow stuff is thrown away first), lack of import duty from China/Far East, low local sales tax.
Won't miss the corrupt medical crooks, or the stupidity of neither history or geography being taught in the local schools, listening to locals quoting Fox News as if what they heard came down on 'tablets' carried by Moses; being told that they paid for WWII, whereas the Brits recently finished paying the last bit of interest. Listening to Obama being called that Kenyan or Nigerian Niggra Moslom. They couldn't find either of those places on a map.
Sorry, about that, but the Chief Deputy just left after telling me that "Yor Boy's getting his arse whupped on TV tonight." I don't vote as I never gave up being a Royalist Brit.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

ohwottodo is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh that made me laugh out loud yes i saw the returns are $800ish and for one way its $1,400ish not sure what thats all about, we will buy a return also. Good luck on your move

Our information on pets coming from the US by air, is Manchester or Heathrow, but then it was an American who told me. So, C.E.
We will be going into Manchester. Another odd thing on this is that it is cheaper to buy a return flight ticket than a one way. We are buying 6 month returns, not that I ever want to come back. 23 years is longer than a sentence for murder. Of course I will miss some things; cheap petrol, unlimited gun ownership, being able to shoot/kill burglars, crime free County, cheap property, no planning permission needed outside of town, being able to take the piss out of the locals without them understanding, the weather, accurate weather forecasting, frozen burgers from Sam's (as long as the piece of yellow stuff is thrown away first), lack of import duty from China/Far East, low local sales tax.
Won't miss the corrupt medical crooks, or the stupidity of neither history or geography being taught in the local schools, listening to locals quoting Fox News as if what they heard came down on 'tablets' carried by Moses; being told that they paid for WWII, whereas the Brits recently finished paying the last bit of interest. Listening to Obama being called that Kenyan or Nigerian Niggra Moslom. They couldn't find either of those places on a map.
Sorry, about that, but the Chief Deputy just left after telling me that "Yor Boy's getting his arse whupped on TV tonight." I don't vote as I never gave up being a Royalist Brit.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 2:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Unlimited gun ownership???? You sound like someone who was raised in rural Georgia / shoot kill burglars :-(( Ghastly comments from a Brit......
This thread is all to do with shipping pets.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 1:48 pm
MCROW

Unlimited gun ownership???? You sound like someone who was raised in rural Georgia / shoot kill burglars :-(( Ghastly comments from a Brit......
This thread is all to do with shipping pets.
No I was raised in Southern England, and we always had firearms. Plus, I wrote the occasional page on handloading pistol cartridges for long range accuracy in Guns Review Magazine. I was also a founder member and editor of the National Pistol Association in the UK.
One of my part time jobs here is teaching American Police Officers and Deputy's how to accurately and safely use their handguns.
An armed society, is a polite and safe society. No, not saying everyone should be armed, but I believe that everyone should be safe with firearms. And that needs to be taught.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.