Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Urgent help with pet shipping

Urgent help with pet shipping

Old Jul 12th 2012, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough
Default Urgent help with pet shipping

Folks on this forum have been helping but need some clarification,
Dog went to vet yesterday,chip was readable,. got rabies shot, have the rabies cert with chip number on it.
What's the next step?
I'm thinking that I need to get vet to sign off on third county cert and get to USDA for stamp? Any help appreciated

Garth
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Urgent help with pet shipping

Hi Garth,

Wait 21 days.

Then no more than 120 hours but no less than 24 hours before leaving the country get tapeworm AND health certificate from a USDA Accredited Vet (important they HAVE to be accredited!!) Give them rabies and microchip certificate and get them to fill out paperwork.

Go to USDA office and get everything stamped.

Make sure paperwork is filled out in the State you're leaving from.

You might want to call DEFRA or a USDA office and double check.

Does that help?!?!?

Where are you leaving from?
Old Jul 13th 2012, 1:13 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Also the accredited vet HAS to sign everything in blue ink. They should know this but it's worth checking to make sure.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

garfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the roughgarfro is a jewel in the rough

Thanks to you both, I called local USDA office and a lovely lady emailed me all the forms and info.
I'm leaving from Los Angeles

Garth
Old Jul 16th 2012, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by britwhore
Hi Garth,

Wait 21 days.

Then no more than 120 hours but no less than 24 hours before leaving the country get tapeworm AND health certificate from a USDA Accredited Vet (important they HAVE to be accredited!!) Give them rabies and microchip certificate and get them to fill out paperwork.

Go to USDA office and get everything stamped.

You might want to call DEFRA or a USDA office and double check.

Does that help?!?!?

Where are you leaving from?

Ok sorry to bring this back up, but can anyone help with the paperwork part?
I'm having real trouble understanding it all. Seems like a lot of things on the USDA stuff I cannot get a grasp of (probably cos im so stressed out)
If someone could PM me with a contact number I would love to call and have someone talk me through it, I nearly cried this morning when I tried to do it and I feel I'm running out of time

Please help me

Garth
Old Jul 20th 2012, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Just done all this for our dog and two cats. What a headache. But doable.

The paperwork is pretty much entirely up to the vets to fill out. There shouldn't be much for you to do, other than whatever additional paperwork your airline requires.

Anyway, here's what we did. Make sure the animals are chipped with an ISO chip. Then get their rabies boosters done. Wait 21 days, then get the vet to complete all the DEFRA certificate of health paperwork (do NOT ask them to do this before the 21 day window is up). It's relatively straightforward, If your airline or carrier needs their paperwork doing for carrying the pets, get that done too. If you're bringing a dog, make sure you get their worming done up to 72 hours before they travel, then take all the paperwork to your nearest USDA office for them to sign it all off. We used the one in Trenton, NJ (a nice but slightly officious guy called Rocky).
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:25 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

How the hell do I do that?
I live in Maine but will be leaving from either Boston or NY
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

We had our vet in LA do microchip and rabies and then give us letters stating the dates and microchip/rabies serial numbers but the paperwork was filled out by a USDA vet in NYC the day before we left. They also did the health certificate and tapeworm. Then we got it all stamped at the USDA office in JFK.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 8:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juswus
How the hell do I do that?
I live in Maine but will be leaving from either Boston or NY
Somewhere in the various previous posts, I'm pretty sure there is a recommendation for a vet in NJ who does a lot of the pre-flight certification, close to where the QM2 leaves - not sure how close it is to the airport, though.

I'm not sure, though, why you'd need to do that ... I thought the USDA vet could be any USDA vet, not in the State of departure ...
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

we were told state of departure. Not sure why but we didn't question them.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by garfro
Folks on this forum have been helping but need some clarification,
Dog went to vet yesterday,chip was readable,. got rabies shot, have the rabies cert with chip number on it.
What's the next step?
I'm thinking that I need to get vet to sign off on third county cert and get to USDA for stamp? Any help appreciated

Garth
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet.../pet-owners/#a
Old Sep 11th 2012, 7:20 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

Talked with three different carriers regarding sending a small dog to the UK (Cardiff) and had three different lots of information and three price quotes.
Have read all the relevant DEFRA/AHVLA papers.
Now all I'd like is the truth about shipping costs, and how long in quarantine etc., for a small dog sent by air from Savannah to Cardiff. My wife could be on the same flight, or leave the same day or whatever.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I thought dogs had to come into Heathrow?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:24 pm
MCROW

DeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really niceDeltaSierra70 is just really nice

My wife stated that!!! I was hoping she was wrong (for once!!!)
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

They can enter via Heathrow and Manchester. I believe Edinburgh is now or soon will be on the list. Although it's not widely known, animals are ablr to come directly into Belfast from NYC. I know that as I have done it. The cheapest way is to fly directly into Europe (Amsterdam, Brussels etc.,) and come through the Chunnel. That way if it is a small dog it can be in the cabin with you. It still does need the same DEFRA paperwork.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.