UPGRADING PENSION

Old Dec 27th 2017, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UPGRADING PENSION

Originally Posted by scot47
Never mind REJOICE - we will soon have BLUE PASSPORTS !
Apparently we could have had a blue passport all along, it's wasn't an EU thing, acording to the Guardian.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Very true. We were after all awfully inconsiderate to our Teutonic cousins by being so bloody minded. I would go one further to say chucking in the towel in May 1940 would have been so much easier all round and all that money we wasted on Spitfires and tanks could have gone on some really super pensions for everyone! Du hast den Nagel auf den Kopf getroffen - zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe schlagen, ja?
I realise that you were being sarcastic, but for the record let us be accurate here -
the reason why Britain fell into an economic tailspin was not the Second War but the Korean War. Spending on the Korean War effectively bankrupted the UK. The creditors and banksters regained their grip on the nation's throat and were vigilant to ensure that they never again lost it.
Terminal mistake by the Attlee government.

The rest, as they say, is history.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

BritinParis can rejoice that we have Blue Passports AND an aircraft carrier. Those nasty Huns have neither. And will have to make do without these essential acoutrements of a civilised society.

Last edited by scot47; Dec 27th 2017 at 5:40 pm.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 8:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
I realise that you were being sarcastic, but for the record let us be accurate here -
the reason why Britain fell into an economic tailspin was not the Second War but the Korean War. Spending on the Korean War effectively bankrupted the UK. The creditors and banksters regained their grip on the nation's throat and were vigilant to ensure that they never again lost it.
Terminal mistake by the Attlee government.

The rest, as they say, is history.
Originally Posted by scot47
BritinParis can rejoice that we have Blue Passports AND an aircraft carrier. Those nasty Huns have neither. And will have to make do without these essential acoutrements of a civilised society.
Non sequiturs seem to be this thread's strong point.
Old Dec 27th 2017, 8:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Very true. We were after all awfully inconsiderate to our Teutonic cousins by being so bloody minded. I would go one further to say chucking in the towel in May 1940 would have been so much easier all round and all that money we wasted on Spitfires and tanks could have gone on some really super pensions for everyone! Du hast den Nagel auf den Kopf getroffen - zwei Fliegen mit einer Klappe schlagen, ja?

Sieben Fliege, nicht wahr?
Old Dec 27th 2017, 9:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
While on the topic -- I'm unclear whether it has yet been decided whether the UK state pension increases will continue for pensioners living in the EU. This is of great significance to a French friend of mine who has lived in the UK for more then 40 years, but wants to retire in Normandy, where she can care for her father.
Should be no problem. May I ask whereabouts in Normandy?
Old Dec 28th 2017, 6:07 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Her dad lives in Caen.

I'm not 100% convinced the pension uplift issue is dealt with. Only the Daily Telegraph and The Express reported that it was, and I don't regard either of them as reliable sources of information. I couldn't find anything in the FT or on the BBC.
Old Dec 28th 2017, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Editha

These are "Affairs of State" and should be left to our masters. They know best.

(IRONY ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old Dec 28th 2017, 10:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Her dad lives in Caen.

I'm not 100% convinced the pension uplift issue is dealt with. Only the Daily Telegraph and The Express reported that it was, and I don't regard either of them as reliable sources of information. I couldn't find anything in the FT or on the BBC.
https://www.ft.com/content/1ccb2b06-...2-e46f43c5825d
Old Dec 29th 2017, 7:24 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, but the FT article only says Brits in Spain will be able to receive their state pension. It doesn't mention the annual increases, although I guess that is implied.
Old Dec 29th 2017, 10:02 am

Thanks for that, but the FT article only says Brits in Spain will be able to receive their state pension. It doesn't mention the annual increases, although I guess that is implied.
I suspect this is the source for the reports:

http://researchbriefings.files.parli...2/CBP-8082.pdf
Old Dec 29th 2017, 11:59 am
Was in Canada, now home.

If so, the Daily Telegraph was jumping the gun.

From page 9 of the briefing:

On health care and social security both sides agreed that commitments
were needed on protecting pensions, existing health care rights and
future social security costs of EU and UK citizens
Agreeing that you need an agreement is not the same thing as reaching an agreement.