Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Update on Transition to UK schools

Update on Transition to UK schools

Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update on Transition to UK schools

Hi Lisa

I know how much we worry about changing the kids schools, I was in the very lucky position of at least knowing the schools I wanted the kids to go back to.

One thing I will say is that there are schools in the UK just like the US and all other countries that I wouldn't send my dog to, and schools that are amazing.

Some areas of the country have a massive shortage of places in good schools, so I would say do some research on this before you apply.

I want people to understand the reality of bringing kids back. It maybe that you apply to an excellent school on a Monday and are given a place on a the following Monday. Or it maybe that all the good schools in the area are full and you are only offered a place in a school that you really don't want or one that is a travel away.

I will also say the OFSTED report isn't the be all and end all. A school getting marked as Good rather than Excellent, doesn't mean that school isn't as good and sometimes better. The report covers so many areas, that a school can lose marks on some odd things.

I hope everyone's move home works out well

Regards
Joanne
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Homeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond reputeHomeiswheretheheartis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by denzil75
Thank you for posting your update. We are looking at moving back to the UK next year (after 9 years in the States). The boys will be 11 and 12 so it's been very interesting reading about your children's transitions back. I am finding the US schools to be so much pressure for the kids. I've started to really see it now my eldest is in 5th grade, there is no fun at school whatsoever. Don't get me wrong I'm under no illusion that the education in Britain isn't what it used to be but there seems to be so much less pressure than here. I hate that the kids only get 40 mins lunch break and no morning or mid-afternoon break. The backpacks that they have to carry weigh about 10 pounds, not good for their backs. And it only seems to get worse the older they get. The boys are actually looking forward to possibly moving back, it's going to be hard leaving the states but we all feel it will be best in the long run for our family. Keep posting the updates.
Hi Denzil75

You have summed up so much what I didn't like about the US education system.

My DS is 12 Year 8 (Grade 7 US)

He starts school at 9am finishes at 3.20pm, he has 20 mins break mid morning, when the canteen opens and they can buy bacon butties if they want. He has 1hr 10 mins lunch, when he plays football with his mates in the playground.

Subjects he has English lit and Lang, Maths, History, Geography, Science, French, Art, PE (3 times a week) Music, Personal Development. Tech with rotas cooking, woodwork and metal work. All the hands on subjects are really hands on, as I said my son makes a nice cookie, Pizza not so good He loves Science, he said they
were exploding something last lesson, he was so amazed that they are the ones allowed to do the explosion.

My DS said it feels like a holiday compared to the US because the pressure isn't there.

My DD is in the last year of Primary aged 10, the same in the fact there is playtime and longer lunch. She is swimming with the school, school trips etc. It is not just paperwork, tests and grades.

I am a strong believer that a child needs a much more rounded education that just passing tests and exams.

The big advantage of the kids coming from the US is my DS and DD both know how lucky they are at school, so while most my DS's friends particularly (aged 12) just moan and say school is boring, mine are keen and excited for school. Well at the moment they are

Regards
Joanne
Old Jan 24th 2014, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
For those of you trying to pick location by quality of schools I found this website helpful. If you put in a house address or a town/village it will show you the schools in that area and their ofsted rating, some additional info and a link to the school website.

I found it really useful for figuring out which towns/villages in the area we are looking at have good schools.

www.locrating.com

(you can also check other things like train commute times to a particular train station)
I think you have posted that link before and someone questioned it's accuracy...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=15

Not sure Christmasoompa ever totally clarified in what way it was inaccurate ....
Old Jan 24th 2014, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Liza is an unknown quantity at this point

Over an hour for lunch! wow! ...and bacon sandwiches? My 3rd and 5th grader have 10-15 mins to eat lunch and they have to throw away any food not eaten in that time even if the line was long or, the class before them came in late, and they didn't even have time to eat. (We actually like our current schools too!)

Did some research last night on https://www.gov.uk/find-school-in-england and came up with a list of 15 secondary schools that fulfilled some basic criteria including location and good/decent ratings. Sent that out to family to look over. Feels like we have a place to start finally.

Ideally we will have both daughters at the same secondary school so that's our priority right now, hopefully we can find a good primary school for my son once we have some locations narrowed down.

We moved here to Iowa when we had a 2 year old and expecting our 2nd at any moment and made the mistake of not considering the High Schools. We later spent a lot of time getting my oldest daughter into the High School we wanted instead of the one closest because of the boundaries shifting. Now we know why the houses around that school are more expensive.

Oooh, one more thing- My son loved British childrens tv while we were there last summer and was really excited this week to discover that Horrible Histories is on Netflix! Its his new favorite show.

Have a lovely day everyone, thanks for all the advice and links.
Old Jan 24th 2014, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Homeiswheretheheartis
Hi Denzil75

You have summed up so much what I didn't like about the US education system.

My DS is 12 Year 8 (Grade 7 US)

He starts school at 9am finishes at 3.20pm, he has 20 mins break mid morning, when the canteen opens and they can buy bacon butties if they want. He has 1hr 10 mins lunch, when he plays football with his mates in the playground.

Subjects he has English lit and Lang, Maths, History, Geography, Science, French, Art, PE (3 times a week) Music, Personal Development. Tech with rotas cooking, woodwork and metal work. All the hands on subjects are really hands on, as I said my son makes a nice cookie, Pizza not so good He loves Science, he said they
were exploding something last lesson, he was so amazed that they are the ones allowed to do the explosion.

My DS said it feels like a holiday compared to the US because the pressure isn't there.

My DD is in the last year of Primary aged 10, the same in the fact there is playtime and longer lunch. She is swimming with the school, school trips etc. It is not just paperwork, tests and grades.

I am a strong believer that a child needs a much more rounded education that just passing tests and exams.

The big advantage of the kids coming from the US is my DS and DD both know how lucky they are at school, so while most my DS's friends particularly (aged 12) just moan and say school is boring, mine are keen and excited for school. Well at the moment they are

Regards
Joanne
Hi Joanne,

School sounds great! It honestly doesn't sound that much different from when I was there over 25 years ago, except there weren't any bacon sarnies. That's one thing I also don't like here no school dinners, some of the local restaurants provide the food but depending on which lunch break the kids are on, the food could have been sat there for 2 hours.

I was talking to the nurse at the preschool where I work, she has two teenage daughters (15 and 17). She was telling me how she has been begging her daughter to go out with friends and take a break from the studying but her daughter refused as she was so stressed out by the thought of falling behind. It's really not healthy.

The Middle schooler's here don't want to take time off from school as they struggle to catch up with the work. It's insane, some of these poor kids are coming in to school when they are sick and should be home resting. I see my 10 year old getting stressed out by things now, he's started to switch off from his school work which isn't a good thing. They need to be able to have some enjoyment while they are there. The hour and 10 minute lunch sounds fab. I have such fond memories of being at school and wanted the kids to have the same but I don't think it's going to happen over here.

Thanks again for all the info, can I ask where you are located? We are hopefully going to move to the North West (Cheshire area).

Denise
Old Jan 24th 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Liza
Over an hour for lunch! wow! ...and bacon sandwiches? My 3rd and 5th grader have 10-15 mins to eat lunch and they have to throw away any food not eaten in that time even if the line was long or, the class before them came in late, and they didn't even have time to eat. (We actually like our current schools too!)

Did some research last night on https://www.gov.uk/find-school-in-england and came up with a list of 15 secondary schools that fulfilled some basic criteria including location and good/decent ratings. Sent that out to family to look over. Feels like we have a place to start finally.

Ideally we will have both daughters at the same secondary school so that's our priority right now, hopefully we can find a good primary school for my son once we have some locations narrowed down.

We moved here to Iowa when we had a 2 year old and expecting our 2nd at any moment and made the mistake of not considering the High Schools. We later spent a lot of time getting my oldest daughter into the High School we wanted instead of the one closest because of the boundaries shifting. Now we know why the houses around that school are more expensive.

Oooh, one more thing- My son loved British childrens tv while we were there last summer and was really excited this week to discover that Horrible Histories is on Netflix! Its his new favorite show.

Have a lovely day everyone, thanks for all the advice and links.
Will have to check this out! Not sure the boys have learnt much history since being here
Old Jan 24th 2014, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

Horrible Histories never mind the kids loving it, I do:-) They do a really good book series and the also do a Horrible Geography book series as well. Have a look on the UK Amazon site they deliver to the US and its not expensive. Really good for aged 9,10,11 year olds.

"Stupid Deaths, Stupid Deaths its funny but it true".
Old Jan 24th 2014, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

Saz66 will become famous soon enoughSaz66 will become famous soon enough

This is a good link to see which schools are doing well in each County.
http://www.findmyschool.co.uk

I wondering if it's having English parents which gives the kids the sense of humour to get Horrible History. My boys love it and they even showed the program to their friends here in Canada. My boys were laughing away and their friends just weren't getting it! Best kids program ever and I totally agree about the "stupid death" being one of the funniest parts.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

Liza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Saz66
I wondering if it's having English parents which gives the kids the sense of humour to get Horrible History. My boys love it and they even showed the program to their friends here in Canada. My boys were laughing away and their friends just weren't getting it! Best kids program ever and I totally agree about the "stupid death" being one of the funniest parts.
I think you're right!
Old Jan 25th 2014, 8:43 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Our 2 took to their new school like ducks to water, they love it and have made some really good friends. They appear to be receiving a great education and having met their teachers we have no complaints at all. I read in another section of the forum that the UK education system was 'horrendous'. I'm sure like anywhere there are individual schools that fit that bill nicely but we are finding the exact opposite.
The facilities are good, the school is clean and the general behaviour of the kids seems very good which is reflected in the OFSTED report.
All in all we are very happy with the way things are going.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Saz66 will become famous soon enoughSaz66 will become famous soon enough

Wouldn't it be good if we could have a list of good to great schools in the UK which expats recommend from personal experience.

This might help other expats going back, although we all know that there are no guarantees you will get into the school.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

I have had a very positive experience of returning to UK education, but I do want people to know that it isn't all plain sailing.

The school my DS is attending was full and still is full. The only reason my DS got a place was because we have exceptional circumstances that I would rather not mention on here. If we had not had these exceptional circumstances the school my DS would have had to attend was one I wouldn't have wanted him to go to, in the next town. This would have been a bus ride away.

I just wanted to give everyone the full picture.
Old Jan 25th 2014, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

toko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NiHao
Homeiswheretheheartis,

Thank you so much for such a great update. We have 3 school age children so this is really, really helpful for us. I am so excited to read what a positive experience it has been so far. I feel very much like you with regard to the value of hands on experiences in education.
Thanks so much for your input. It warms my heart to read of others in a similar situation to us. We have three kids (almost 17, 14 and 9) and are anticipating a move back to the UK from the US (NJ) this spring. The thought of messing up our oldest sons education terrifies me as he is a junior here (yr 12 in the Uk) and his peers are in their first year of A levels back home. I know it will put him back a year and it worries me how universities will look at his application (having no GCSEs) when he applies after having done a two year six form course. If anyone has moved kids back at a similar age I would love to hear from you. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Katie