Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

update from PLANTS in UK from Aus Dec 05

update from PLANTS in UK from Aus Dec 05

Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

PLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to beholdPLANTS is a splendid one to behold
Default update from PLANTS in UK from Aus Dec 05

Hi Everyone

Thought I should do an update for you all as the last one was a couple of weeks ago.

Son 12 has settled well into his first Secondary School, seems to be coping in most of the subjects just French he is having problems with as he has never done it and the others in his class have been doing it for a lot longer by the looks of the homework! In Perth son was either doing Malaysian which he thoroughly enjoyed or Italian for the last two years which he loves and being as his Dad is Italian that was working out really well for us. Anyway, they had a test this week and poor lad couldn't do it so we will have to try and get some help I think. The school seems very nice, Harris in Rugby and I have to say its so good seeing him go out looking really smart in long trousers whitge shirt tie and blazer, wow. The school is not too big and uncomfortable they are the main reasons we chose it so he felt like someone and not a nobody. Maths he is enjoying and started Algebra, maths has never been my subject so hubbie is helping son. Yes there is more homework but not too much that he cant cope (except the French!). Alls well on the school front. Son has also made two new friends and ben around ones house already, so brilliant.

Hubbie has been looking for work. He was offered a job in Blackpool before we left but decided not to take it as it would ahve meant living up there long term and we wanted to be near my grown up son here in Rugby and hubbies sister and family in Suffolk. It was a hard decision to make but we didn't want to feel isolated as we had done living in Brighton/WA. He thoroughly enjoys his work as an Electronics Engineer and has been applying for jobs, more are coming onto the market now Christmas has passed which is good and as we are in the Midlands its seems to be the right location and we are both enjoying the location considering we aren't from around these parts. He is visiting an agency in Birmingham today and has another one tomorrow.

Me, I am feeling a LOT better, feel human again going out for walks with Bella around this village to find our bearings. Haven't tried the pub yet but will do eventually. The cool weather is just lovely, I can shove on a coat, wrap up and feel good rather than sweating buckets and endless water. I still look at wonder at this beautiful countryside when we go out, it never stops to amaze me how beautful it is, bear trees and all along wth the tapestry of hedgerows over the hills, lovely. Going out on the motorways and seeing the lorries and cars makes me feel human, civilised, and somebody, yes its busy here but its alive and the heart of the country.

Yesterday son has a pupil free day so we took a drive to Leicester as someone told us about the National Space Centre there. We all thoroughly enjoyed it seeing all the space stuff and workings, hubbie and son were in 7th heaven and I even enjoyed it too, so much to see there and the rockets, wow!

Shops we have just been mind blown about, the choice, the retail parks around here and the prices are just amazing! Its still taking us a while to get around the shops as we can't get over the choice there is and going around Tesco and Sainsbury, well, there are so many things to look at. Tesco still do some lovely clothes, jeans for UKP3 ladies and mens. Even had some levis for men, black UKP12. Tesco choice in bedding is lovely and very reasonable too, bought son a double quilt cover for UKP7 and ours was only UKP11 and both really nice. As our stuff hasn't arrived yet we had to buy some basic things. Oh and the choice in bread, so much to look at and as we are on a budget its brilliant, lots of 3 for 2 offers out there.

Dog: settled really well, has found her spot in the back room looking out on the garden next to the radiator so put her blanket there so she can look out through the french doors.

Cat: settled well. still staying indoors as she did in WA, she is going frantic looking at all the birds in the garden and I would just hate her to catch one plus she is a bit of a nervy cat so indoors she stays. She has found several spots to lay, one up on the landing in front of the warm airing cupboard, must be the pipes underneath, nice and warm. Had become very friendly and comes up for a cuddle so bringing her to the cold has helped her no end!

Ok, now the down sides:

No blue skies and yes we do miss the high blue skies of Perth.

Fridges, we bought what we thought was a largish fridge but compared to the one we had in WA its a bit of a tight squeeze for us and there are only 3 of us! We looked around some shops for one then bought on line at Sainsbury where we saved a lot!

Dog gets very wet and muddy and as she isn't big (a Spoodle) she gets real mucky so lots of wipe downs necessary but I can handle that and she can too.

No laundry in this rental and I have to confess I had gotten use to a separate laundry plus the back of the house is the front/entry and nowhere to put your muddy shoes but again, copable.

Can't think of anything else and even most of the above is ok,, just wanted to balance this post out!

Its lovely being able to see grown up son, wife and two lovely grandsons again, not living in there pockets as they have there lives to lead but its sure nice having them in the same country! Oh and those cuddles from them an hearing that lovely word "Nanna", oh melts my heart away!

Enough for now.

Oh, saw my first snowdrops Tuesday!
Plus the crocuses are popping through the ground with lovely fresh green leaves, cant wait to see the flowers.

PLANTS

Last edited by PLANTS; Jan 19th 2006 at 8:25 am.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

chance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond reputechance to be has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: update from PLANTS in UK from Aus Dec 05

lovely, plants...im glad you seem happy. good luck to you all and hope to hear more updates soon
c x
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the great post. I can't wait to hit the UK shops again!

I'm glad you don't have too many negatives on your list; that's reassuring. I wonder if I will get depressed about the grey skies? I'm used to having blue skies even during the cold winter here. I'm into photography so grey skies aren't my friend! I'm sure we will also have to adjust to the lack of a laundry, fridge space, etc. Still, if space and the sky are our biggest negatives we won't be doing bad at all!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to allLizzi is a name known to all

Lovely post Plants. Glad you're all settling in.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 6:17 pm
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

Great to hear from you Plants, and that you're settling back in. I can't wait to be back shopping in all the stores I know and love and having everyone around me again.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:39 pm

Fitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to allFitz750 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PLANTS
Thought I should do an update for you all as the last one was a couple of weeks ago.PLANTS
Glad to hear everythings working out.

I worked in Rugby for some years. As you mention your husband is Italian you should check out the "Haywaggon" on the green at Churchover. Churchover is just outside Rugby. Leaving the M6 island heading for Leicester (A5) it's a village off to your left. Hopefully it's not changed hands. It's owned by an Italian guy and his English wife. Italian food is excellent, they even have a Pizzaria.
My other half is Italian, so i'm now educated in all things Pasta
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:46 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone
I can shove on a coat, wrap up and feel good rather than sweating buckets and endless water. I still look at wonder at this beautiful countryside when we go out, it never stops to amaze me how beautful it is, bear trees and all along wth the tapestry of hedgerows over the hills, lovely. Going out on the motorways and seeing the lorries and cars makes me feel human, civilised, and somebody, yes its busy here but its alive and the heart of the country.
PLANTS

hiya, good to hear your update...it's 'horses for courses' I know but your paragraph above just about sums me up...esp the words 'busy but it's alive' sadly it's more than busy here but somehow most definitely not alive
Old Jan 20th 2006, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

Jim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant futureJim n Nic has a brilliant future

Hi Everyone

Thought I should do an update for you all as the last one was a couple of weeks ago

PLANTS

Thank you Plants, great post. You've just added some sunshine to my day!!.
Please keep us updated. X
Old Jan 20th 2006, 8:17 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonderful to hear you are all settling so well.

You lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky ..........
Old Jan 21st 2006, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Amanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really niceAmanda&Paul is just really nice

Makes me want to fly back now!