Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Update, back from the US, in UK 3 months....

Update, back from the US, in UK 3 months....

Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update, back from the US, in UK 3 months....

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956
So are you saying that if you are short 10 years you will always only be able to pay for an additional 6 years is that correct? If so i may never be able to get to 30 years worth of contributions. Thanks for your help.
These are the standard top-up current rules:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ngup/DG_190078

"From 6 April 2009, if you reach State Pension age between 6 April 2008 and 5 April 2015 you may be able to pay voluntary Class 3 contributions for up to an extra six years - going back to 1975-76 - to make up any gaps in your National Insurance contributions record.

You can do this on top of making voluntary Class 3 contributions for the last six tax years or for any of the tax years for which there are extended time limits in which to pay - see the section above. You pay at the current weekly rate - so if you pay by 5 April 2012 the rate is £12.60."

You would need to contact the National Pension Service regarding this.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue, so happy to hear from you, I have sent you a PM with my email address would love to keep in touch!
Old Jun 16th 2011, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Tell me about the flat broke thing!! I have been unemployed for 3 months, started my job June 1st and have to wait for my first pay on June 30th!!!

Eeeking out the money now...............

Only 15 more days until you can start eating again.
Old Jul 9th 2011, 10:10 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sue/OP

It's a long time since we had an update from you, hoping all is well.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 7:38 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh i did not realize that you had to be in the UK for three months before you are entitled to job seekers allowance.

You don't. We were back in the UK for 2 weeks (August 2010) and were approved and my husband (British citizen) started drawing straightaway.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:11 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
You don't. We were back in the UK for 2 weeks (August 2010) and were approved and my husband (British citizen) started drawing straightaway.
I think it's all to do with NI contributions, which I understood very little about. When I applied for my NI number and to find out how much I owed they sent me a letter saying how much I had to make up for each year. It was a lot less than I anticipated.

I have since discovered it's all part of the classes of NI that you pay. I have no idea what or why I was told the amount I have to pay. I truthfully told them everything about when I left the UK, where I had worked since etc and they. after a few months, sent me a letter with the amount I owed to make up for full contributions.
Upon my return to the UK I found I was not entitled to any job seeking allowance because of a 3 month habitual residency issue. No idea how or why this applied to me, but I am assuming it's because they charged me for some reason NI class 2 contributions.
It's obviously all calculated on individual circumstances. I am fine with whatever they say. I am just happy to be back here in England. A further update at a a later date.

I have drunk a couple of wine and lemondade spritzers so I am rather tiddly right now. LOL. Will write more when my head is clear. It's 23.10 here in Blighty and I am going to go to bed.

Love to all.

I LOVE being back here.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aw Sue, great to hear from you, ( I need to email you, kinda busy right now though 38 days to go.) but I also got a pension forecast and I only had to make up 3 years at 345 pounds total I think to be eligible for a full UK pension when i retire in 2 years.

Haha little bit typsy, good for you!
xx
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighSpeedGrandma
Apparently not, due to a habitual residency of less than 3 months at the time.
Put in an appeal against the decision. Providing prove that you have returned to remain in the UK should enable you to go on benefit.
Which part of the UK have you relocated to? You do appear very happy to be back. Hope all continues to work for you.

Last edited by the troubadour; Jul 20th 2011 at 12:06 pm.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:03 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Aw Sue, great to hear from you, ( I need to email you, kinda busy right now though 38 days to go.) but I also got a pension forecast and I only had to make up 3 years at 345 pounds total I think to be eligible for a full UK pension when i retire in 2 years.

Haha little bit typsy, good for you!
xx
Hey Charleygirl. Yep, definitely stay in touch. I don't care when, but just drop me an email when you can. 38 days to go. Woohoo.

Did they say on your letter that you were paying Class 1, 2 or 3, or any other contributions?
I still owe for one years back log, but I have till 2012 to pay that.

Not tiddly today... 2 wine spritzers and I was hazy. Such a lightweight.

Good luck with everything. Maybe I will see you one day.

xxxx
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:07 pm
I can't Re-Member

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Put in an appeal against the decision. Providing prove that you have returned to remain in the UK should enable you to go on benefit.
Thanks.
I am actually working now. It doesn't pay much at all, but it means I will (eventually) have a little money coming in. Although I have to wait till August for my first pay deposit.

I WAS going to sign on again after the three months, but was able to get this job.

I WILL post an update at some point. I have to go to my Best Training course shortly. Already passed my English exams, brushed up on my maths and now doing Sage accounting. All free, so far.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:25 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
I am actually working now. It doesn't pay much at all, but it means I will (eventually) have a little money coming in. Although I have to wait till August for my first pay deposit.

I WAS going to sign on again after the three months, but was able to get this job.

I WILL post an update at some point. I have to go to my Best Training course shortly. Already passed my English exams, brushed up on my maths and now doing Sage accounting. All free, so far.
Well done Sue and soooo lovely to hear from you, tipsy or not, I have often wondered how you are doing!!

Waiting for that first pay cheque seems like it is never going to come, I am ready for my second one next week woohoo!!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:29 pm
I can't Re-Member

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Well done Sue and soooo lovely to hear from you, tipsy or not, I have often wondered how you are doing!!

Waiting for that first pay cheque seems like it is never going to come, I am ready for my second one next week woohoo!!

Just got in from my Sage accounting studies at the training centre. They basically give you the book and the computer and let you get on with it.

I may get around to posting another update shortly. Just having a much needed cuppa right now. LOL.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 7:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Just got in from my Sage accounting studies at the training centre. They basically give you the book and the computer and let you get on with it.

I may get around to posting another update shortly. Just having a much needed cuppa right now. LOL.
Don't dismiss the wine spritzers, they surely help.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

drhewitt is an unknown quantity at this point

So are you saying that if you are short 10 years you will always only be able to pay for an additional 6 years is that correct? If so i may never be able to get to 30 years worth of contributions. Thanks for your help.

I got my Pension forecast this week - I have nine years of NICs and I can either pay another 21 years into the system or pay the last six tax years by certain dates and then keep paying. You only need 30 years. I'm not sure what the additional state pension is.