Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

The upcoming Royal Wedding

Wikiposts

The upcoming Royal Wedding

Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:34 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The upcoming Royal Wedding

Originally Posted by TimberHut
I've not been asked and thankfully have hardly heard a thing about it.

If asked I will say I'm flying back for the after wedding party. All pubs in England will be serving free beer on the day of the wedding. Paid for by the queen.

I suggest others say the same. Would be a great rumour for the Americans to lap up. Just wish I could keep a straight face as I said it...
Free beer at all pubs the day after the wedding, I heard about that. I think I read somewhere that the Queen herself would be serving behind the bar in the Queens Head in Windsor; with Phil the Greek collecting glasses and wiping down the tables.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by robin1234
Free beer at all pubs the day after the wedding, I heard about that. I think I read somewhere that the Queen herself would be serving behind the bar in the Queens Head in Windsor; with Phil the Greek collecting glasses and wiping down the tables.
Yeah I thought I heard something about that as well.

Also...

If tradition holds then at 9pm on the day of the wedding Prince Charles has 9 mins to ride a unicycle down Birdcage Walk from Buckingham Palace to Big Ben. If he makes it in time then one of the married couple will not become the 10th royal to be be-headed. If he doesn't... Well as long as there are some pigeons in Trafalgar Square all is fine.

Those crazy Brits...
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:18 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimberHut
Yeah I thought I heard something about that as well.

Also...

If tradition holds then at 9pm on the day of the wedding Prince Charles has 9 mins to ride a unicycle down Birdcage Walk from Buckingham Palace to Big Ben. If he makes it in time then one of the married couple will not become the 10th royal to be be-headed. If he doesn't... Well as long as there are some pigeons in Trafalgar Square all is fine.

Those crazy Brits...
And what about the droit de seigneur tradition? Is it Prince Charles or perhaps Prince Philip who has that prerogative?
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

TimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud ofTimberHut has much to be proud of

And what about the droit de seigneur tradition? Is it Prince Charles or perhaps Prince Philip who has that prerogative?
If either of them takes up the right to uphold that tradition I think there's going to be a lot of young girls trying to get laid as soon as possible!
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

Lol, I've heard the wedding mentioned a few times, but not met anyone daft enough to ask if we're invited I just tell people I'm looking forward to the other Royal wedding more (Zara Phillips & Mike Tindall). Well, that and the outcome of any stag night organised by Harry But there's a definite interest by local people and media.

On a similar note though, we were asked by a random person if we thought Diana was really dead
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:47 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by taffie77
On a similar note though, we were asked by a random person if we thought Diana was really dead
King Arthur is probably not dead - just sleeping in a magical cave - but I think Diana is actually dead.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

taffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud oftaffie77 has much to be proud of

King Arthur is probably not dead - just sleeping in a magical cave - but I think Diana is actually dead.
So there's no chance her waking up to save the country in time of need then? I'm sure the Daily Express would have covered it by now...
Old Feb 17th 2011, 9:58 am
Just Joined

steve62 is just really nicesteve62 is just really nicesteve62 is just really nicesteve62 is just really nicesteve62 is just really nicesteve62 is just really nicesteve62 is just really nicesteve62 is just really nice

Take my advice, try to ignore it, when Charles and Di got hitched me and my mates went out at 7am on our motorcycles and apart for stopping for calls of nature and petrol (gas) and at a remote lake for lunch we rode all day and saw none of the wedding. And a day well spent it was too, I can feel another lengthy bike ride coming up, after all none of them where interested in watching my wedding video!
Old Feb 19th 2011, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Plus, his bride to be is a real looker.
True enough, but at the same time just a wee bit vacuous it seems to many people who have had contact with her - apart from her looks there's not a great deal more about Kate Middleton that's of any real noteworthy significance. She has never held down a job of any description, for example, so maybe freeloading is her speciality, as some sections of the UK press have assumed. Don't expect Kate to do what the late Diana did in the world of charity work, but maybe, just maybe, she will surprise everyone but don't hold your breath...hugging AIDS patients or striding across minefields in Africa may well not be part of her schedule.

To be honest, there appears to be a certain amount of apathy towards this Royal Wedding here in the UK, too, at least now. Maybe, just maybe, things may liven up a little nearer to the time. Many people here will surely take advantage of the fact that Friday the 29th of April will be a public holiday and go off on a long weekend break somewhere away from TV sets or simply spend the day having a lie in prior to going down the pub. The following Monday, 2 May, will also be a holiday - the May Day Bank Holiday.

Last edited by Lothianlad; Feb 19th 2011 at 10:25 am.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Lothianlad;9188215]True enough, but at the same time just a wee bit vacuous it seems to many people who have had contact with her - apart from her looks there's not a great deal more about Kate Middleton that's of any real noteworthy significance. She has never held down a job of any description, for example, so maybe freeloading is her speciality, as some sections of the UK press have assumed. Don't expect Kate to do what the late Diana did in the world of charity work, but maybe, just maybe, she will surprise everyone but don't hold your breath...hugging AIDS patients or striding across minefields in Africa may well not be part of her schedule.

To be honest, there appears to be a certain amount of apathy towards this Royal Wedding here in the UK, too, at least now. Maybe, just maybe, things may liven up a little nearer to the time. Many people here will surely take advantage of the fact that Friday the 29th of April will be a public holiday and go off on a long weekend break somewhere away from TV sets or simply spend the day having a lie in prior to going down the pub. The following Monday, 2 May, will also be a holiday - the May Day Bank Holiday.[/QUOTE]

Geez - you guys get so many holidays!!
Yes - I was surprised to hear that Kate has never had a "real" job. It's going to be interesting to see how things turn out.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I heard Fergie got snubbed - not surprising really.
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:04 pm
Nyz
Forum Regular

Nyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond reputeNyz has a reputation beyond repute

I've not been asked that but a few people did ask when they got engaged "what did I think about it" err nothing was my response. I think they just thought I was strange for having no opinion!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:19 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
just a wee bit vacuous it seems to many people who have had contact with her
Makes sense: I can't imagine why anyone with even a smidgen of nous would want to be associated with that toxic family. Even the Royle Family would be a major improvement...
Old Feb 20th 2011, 2:31 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Still waiting for my invitation. Supposed to be in the post, so it should be here soon.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Derrygal
Geez - you guys get so many holidays!!
Yes - I was surprised to hear that Kate has never had a "real" job. It's going to be interesting to see how things turn out.
The UK gets 8 public holidays normally (9 this year and next - Wills & Kate and Her Maj's Diamond Jubilee next year), whereas there are 10 federal holidays every year in the US

I must admit that I don't read newspapers or watch the news very much (I get it all online), but I haven't noticed that much about the wedding in the UK yet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.