University in UK

Old Nov 12th 2022, 9:20 pm
T4T
Forum Regular

T4T will become famous soon enoughT4T will become famous soon enough
Default Re: University in UK

Originally Posted by Gastos
Hi, I'm new the BE and the topic of home fee status is an interesting one.
Children shouldn't be penalised for the 'sins' of their parents. .
I also find this 3 year ordinary residence unfair. Someone who was born in the UK, lived there most of their life (15 of 18 years prior to start of the university) can't qualify for home fees. On the other hand, someone who spends only 3 years in the UK (or even much less, in case of exceptional categories) can qualify for home fees.
I agree with you!!!
Old Nov 12th 2022, 9:24 pm
T4T
Forum Regular

Post Re: University in UK

Originally Posted by jkbrit1031
HI there,

Not from Canada but from USA. My daughter is in her last year at St Andrews in Scotland studying Medieval History and Archeology. Yes we also paid international fees but still reasonable compared to many US universities. Plus she has now established her own residency and is thinking of doing her Masters there as it would be much cheaper than USA. I would say depends on your kid. My daughter has always loved travelling and didn't see the sense of studying European History here when she could study it in Europe. Honestly she has thrived there. There are many US students there but also she has plenty of UK friends. She travels in Europe during breaks which is am amazing opportunity for her. She also didn't want to do any more General Ed at university here which she thought pointless (I agree). Hope that helps - I would say narrow it down and go visit the universities if you can. That also helped.
My daughter graduated from St Andrews (BSc Medicine)this June and loved it there. She's now at the University of Manchester however as part of her 6 year programme, however she's still classified as an international student. Her fees has increased by 33% 😭
Old Nov 12th 2022, 9:24 pm
T4T
Forum Regular

Default Re: University in UK

Originally Posted by Maggiepie
Actually if you show a continous association with the uk. eg family there, flights back etc then you can claim home fee status. Seen lots of examples
We did that however my daughter was still classified as an international student.