University in UK

Old Oct 9th 2022, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University in UK

Originally Posted by Gastos
Hi, I've heard of the examples, and seen some Fee Status forms that ask such questions to establish the association. Would you know the universities in question for the examples you've seen.
I had same question, as the forms do seem very specific.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Maggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really nice

University of Sussex friend's daughter born in uk then several years in the USA then 2 years in Switzerland.
, University of Bath son of friend. both parents british. born in germany, in uk for 2 years and gernany to age 12. then us to age 18
universuty of york son of friend born in uk, grew up in switzerland, spendibg age 14 to 18 at a French boardibg school .
Old Oct 9th 2022, 11:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggiepie
University of Sussex friend's daughter born in uk then several years in the USA then 2 years in Switzerland.
, University of Bath son of friend. both parents british. born in germany, in uk for 2 years and gernany to age 12. then us to age 18
universuty of york son of friend born in uk, grew up in switzerland, spendibg age 14 to 18 at a French boardibg school .
Some UK unis will lift the the international fee if the child has lived overseas temporarily, ie their parents are on a work visa and are not permanent residents.

UK students who have lived in the UK 3 years or more before entrance to uni are entitled to home fees.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Oct 9th 2022 at 11:55 am. Reason: Typo
Old Oct 9th 2022, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Gastos is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks !
Old Oct 9th 2022, 1:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Actually if you show a continous association with the uk. eg family there, flights back etc then you can claim home fee status. Seen lots of examples
Not necessarily though. It varies depending on the university. We asked loads of uni's about my daughter's status (moving to the US for the 2 years prior to applying for university, on a L2 temp visa rather than a green card). Some said she would have to pay international fees, others said she'd be treated as a homes student. Bath Uni was actually one that would have insisted on the 3 years residency, so we were told different to your friends (didn't ask York or Sussex as they're not ones my daughter was contemplating).
Old Oct 9th 2022, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Gastos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Not necessarily though. It varies depending on the university. We asked loads of uni's about my daughter's status (moving to the US for the 2 years prior to applying for university, on a L2 temp visa rather than a green card). Some said she would have to pay international fees, others said she'd be treated as a homes student. Bath Uni was actually one that would have insisted on the 3 years residency, so we were told different to your friends (didn't ask York or Sussex as they're not ones my daughter was contemplating).
Would you mind sharing which unis were open to home fees treatment ?
Old Oct 9th 2022, 2:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gastos
Would you mind sharing which unis were open to home fees treatment ?
I can, but it will depend on what your child wants to study? For example, the Royal Veterinary College was one we asked, but that's no good if your child doesn't want to be a vet or similar! All of the uni's my daughter are looking at are specific to her field of study, so not much good if your child wants to do something completely different.

What I would say, is that as a general rule, the more competitive universities (Oxbridge, Russell Group, St A's, etc) seem to insist on the 3 year rule more than others with less competition for places. So I suspect that somebody wanting home fees would be better off considering a second or third tier uni that has less applicants.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Some unis will give preference to those paying international fees…more money for the uni.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Some unis will give preference to those paying international fees…more money for the uni.
Yep. More spaces for international students can also result in much lower grade requirements for them too. Exeter Uni (one of my daughter's top choices) needs her to get 3 A's if she's a UK applicant. But when we looked this year, they were offering international students spaces through clearing with much lower grades for the same course (B, B, C if I recall correctly).
Old Oct 9th 2022, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Maggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really niceMaggiepie is just really nice

Our school has given us access to this resource which you may find useful if you can access via your school. https://www.cialfo.co/for-students Very useful for you would be the section that lists any scholarships offered for overseas students. I was at a Uiniversity fair held at our international school and the University of Sussex has such scholarships. Also this programme gives you direct dial numbers for the admissions departments. I phoned St.Andrews and got striaght through rather than via a central switchboard.

Last edited by Maggiepie; Oct 9th 2022 at 2:56 pm.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 4:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yep. More spaces for international students can also result in much lower grade requirements for them too. Exeter Uni (one of my daughter's top choices) needs her to get 3 A's if she's a UK applicant. But when we looked this year, they were offering international students spaces through clearing with much lower grades for the same course (B, B, C if I recall correctly).
Several US students in my daughter’s year went to uni in the UK. I couldn’t understand how they got in, apart from the ££££, as most were not good students. One in particular went to one of the top unis, he didn’t last a year, dropped out as the work was too tough for him.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Sorry to drip feed. All welsh universities have subsidized accommodation for all students subsidized by the Welsh government. eg annual Fees for Cardiff accommodation are only £5-£6K. I learnt this on our University fair. This is around half the usual rate deoending on location. Look into Scotland too.
Old Oct 9th 2022, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Sorry to drip feed. All welsh universities have subsidized accommodation for all students subsidized by the Welsh government. eg annual Fees for Cardiff accommodation are only £5-£6K. I learnt this on our University fair. This is around half the usual rate deoending on location. Look into Scotland too.
Assume this is catered accommodation? As any self catered we’ve looked at have been around that price anyway. Some places are bizarrely cheaper for catered than self catered too (example, Royal Holloway), as the catered accommodation is often in the old buildings so rooms aren’t as new or nice!
Old Oct 9th 2022, 5:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Several US students in my daughter’s year went to uni in the UK. I couldn’t understand how they got in, apart from the ££££, as most were not good students. One in particular went to one of the top unis, he didn’t last a year, dropped out as the work was too tough for him.
The grade difference is huge. It’s the back up plan for daughter, if she doesn’t get in from the UK she can reapply from the US after a gap year.
Old Nov 4th 2022, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Ronnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond reputeRonnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Have just been dealing with this. For UK universities, under the new rules since Brexit. All uk nationals living in EU 3 years before term starts ( usually 1st August) will be categorised as home students and treated same as English residents. Scotland more strict- must have lived 3 years in Scotland before moving to EU and remained there before returning. These rules last until 2028 then everyone will be international!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.