British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   University in UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/university-uk-945557/)

raistlin Sep 21st 2022 2:57 am

University in UK

Hi all,

Bit of a long shot, but wondering if anybody or one of their kids has been through this..

We've been here 14 years. Will likely return to the UK one day...

We now have an 18yr old son. He came here when he was 4 but we returned often to see friends and family. My wife and I were in our 30's when we moved here from the UK, so still very 'British' in our ways and humour. Our son is now 18 and always had an "affinity" for the UK, music scene, humour, TV shows, films etc and has always said he likes Canada but "felt" Brititsh and actually talks to more Brits his age online than Canadians...... He has just finished High School in Canada and wants to go to a UK Uni. We're fully supportive of his desire to try it.

From a personal perspective - has anybody on here (or one of their kids) gone to Uni in the UK straight from Canada with a similar affinity to the UK? Just wondering how it turned out.?

Cheers!!

verystormy Sep 21st 2022 4:28 am

Re: University in UK

Kids these days go to university all over the world, so he certainly won't be out of place. But, be aware he would not qualify as a domestic student for purposes of fees and funding. He will be regarded as an international student.

Twitcher1958 Sep 21st 2022 11:44 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 13142528)
Kids these days go to university all over the world, so he certainly won't be out of place. But, be aware he would not qualify as a domestic student for purposes of fees and funding. He will be regarded as an international student.

That’s sensible advice, although our experience was that it’s worth checking with the university in question. Our daughter returned to the UK to do a Masters after living in Canada for seven years. Her university classed her as a home student, we’re assuming they took the view that she’d had no choice in the decision to leave the UK and it was a one year course.

Lion in Winter Sep 21st 2022 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by raistlin (Post 13142523)
Hi all,

Bit of a long shot, but wondering if anybody or one of their kids has been through this..

We've been here 14 years. Will likely return to the UK one day...

We now have an 18yr old son. He came here when he was 4 but we returned often to see friends and family. My wife and I were in our 30's when we moved here from the UK, so still very 'British' in our ways and humour. Our son is now 18 and always had an "affinity" for the UK, music scene, humour, TV shows, films etc and has always said he likes Canada but "felt" Brititsh and actually talks to more Brits his age online than Canadians...... He has just finished High School in Canada and wants to go to a UK Uni. We're fully supportive of his desire to try it.

From a personal perspective - has anybody on here (or one of their kids) gone to Uni in the UK straight from Canada with a similar affinity to the UK? Just wondering how it turned out.?

Cheers!!

Not from Canada, but from the US. My son, born and brought up in Chicago, a real Chicago boy, but a UK citizen as well due to me and he had been on regular holidays to the UK and loved it. Wanted to do uni in the UK, did, and did just fine. The students were from many countries, not just the UK, but once the covid lock down horror was over he made friends easily.

The toughest bit was the change in the way instruction is delivered - way, way more hands off than in the US. That may not be the same difference coming from Canada.

morpeth Sep 21st 2022 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13142637)
Not from Canada, but from the US. My son, born and brought up in Chicago, a real Chicago boy, but a UK citizen as well due to me and he had been on regular holidays to the UK and loved it. Wanted to do uni in the UK, did, and did just fine. The students were from many countries, not just the UK, but once the covid lock down horror was over he made friends easily.

The toughest bit was the change in the way instruction is delivered - way, way more hands off than in the US. That may not be the same difference coming from Canada.

I know a few American and Canadian students at University of Newcastle, they seem to do quite well- and the university seems quite well aware of the differences American students will encounter, starting with requirements for admission.

raistlin Sep 21st 2022 8:18 pm

Thanks all for your answers.

Luckily we have a fair size pot put aside for education and could cover the costs of an International Student for 4 years. If he goes that route though I will definitely check to see if we can get any assistance - every little bit helps!!

Thanks for the answers on Uni life too. I think he would enjoy it over in the UK. Seems he's got to 18 and starting to "know" who he is and just really starting to feel that "his type of people" are Brits I guess - but I didn't want him to look at things too much through rose tinted glasses...

Jerseygirl Sep 21st 2022 8:31 pm

The advice we were given (we wished we had taken notice)…send your child to the uni where you want to live. Odds on they will meet a guy/girl, get a job, or both and stay in the area of the uni.

raistlin Sep 21st 2022 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 13142761)
The advice we were given (we wished we had taken notice)…send your child to the uni where you want to live. Odds on they will meet a guy/girl, get a job, or both and stay in the area of the uni.

Funny - I was thinking exactly the same thing. Was just looking at York University!

Jerseygirl Sep 21st 2022 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by raistlin (Post 13142763)
Funny - I was thinking exactly the same thing. Was just looking at York University!

If you are looking to move back home…go for it. If not well…

penguinsix Sep 25th 2022 8:51 pm

At our kid's international school overseas, they spoke often about the 'rubber bands' of kids who were American/British/Australian and went back to their PARENT'S home country for university, only to feel greatly out of place socially and bounce back after a year or so. These are a relatively small minority of kids to be clear, but there are a number of kids every year who despite growing up in say a 'British' family and school curriculum overseas, just didn't quite fit in with the real thing back home.

Is there any chance your kid could do a semester in the UK in college or something before attending Uni? Something that would give them an experience of life over there as a student 24/7/365 (which can be different than Summer vacation with grandparents for a few weeks experience)?

I'd also second the advice on uni where you want to live, if that is known yet. Makes it far easier unless you are going to an internationally known program and school.

morpeth Sep 26th 2022 6:38 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix (Post 13143556)
At our kid's international school overseas, they spoke often about the 'rubber bands' of kids who were American/British/Australian and went back to their PARENT'S home country for university, only to feel greatly out of place socially and bounce back after a year or so. These are a relatively small minority of kids to be clear, but there are a number of kids every year who despite growing up in say a 'British' family and school curriculum overseas, just didn't quite fit in with the real thing back home.

Is there any chance your kid could do a semester in the UK in college or something before attending Uni? Something that would give them an experience of life over there as a student 24/7/365 (which can be different than Summer vacation with grandparents for a few weeks experience)?

I'd also second the advice on uni where you want to live, if that is known yet. Makes it far easier unless you are going to an internationally known program and school.

The university of Newcastle has one program specifically designed for students who have been in foreign schools to transition to the UK system. There are also colleges with programs that can be taken as a prelude to university. Though while there are transition issues, if someone is qualified to go to university I must assume dealing with such issues are just life that such students should be able to deal with.

Gastos Oct 2nd 2022 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958 (Post 13142607)
That’s sensible advice, although our experience was that it’s worth checking with the university in question. Our daughter returned to the UK to do a Masters after living in Canada for seven years. Her university classed her as a home student, we’re assuming they took the view that she’d had no choice in the decision to leave the UK and it was a one year course.

Hi, I'm new the BE and the topic of home fee status is an interesting one.
Children shouldn't be penalised for the 'sins' of their parents. .
I also find this 3 year ordinary residence unfair. Someone who was born in the UK, lived there most of their life (15 of 18 years prior to start of the university) can't qualify for home fees. On the other hand, someone who spends only 3 years in the UK (or even much less, in case of exceptional categories) can qualify for home fees.

jkbrit1031 Oct 3rd 2022 2:49 pm

HI there,

Not from Canada but from USA. My daughter is in her last year at St Andrews in Scotland studying Medieval History and Archeology. Yes we also paid international fees but still reasonable compared to many US universities. Plus she has now established her own residency and is thinking of doing her Masters there as it would be much cheaper than USA. I would say depends on your kid. My daughter has always loved travelling and didn't see the sense of studying European History here when she could study it in Europe. Honestly she has thrived there. There are many US students there but also she has plenty of UK friends. She travels in Europe during breaks which is am amazing opportunity for her. She also didn't want to do any more General Ed at university here which she thought pointless (I agree). Hope that helps - I would say narrow it down and go visit the universities if you can. That also helped.

Maggiepie Oct 4th 2022 7:30 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 13142528)

Actually if you show a continous association with the uk. eg family there, flights back etc then you can claim home fee status. Seen lots of examples

Gastos Oct 8th 2022 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Maggiepie (Post 13145630)
Actually if you show a continous association with the uk. eg family there, flights back etc then you can claim home fee status. Seen lots of examples

Hi, I've heard of the examples, and seen some Fee Status forms that ask such questions to establish the association. Would you know the universities in question for the examples you've seen.