Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

University education in the UK

University education in the UK

Old Sep 17th 2010, 1:44 am
Just Joined

MaineLeedsbloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default University education in the UK

I have posted a few times here recently regarding a possible move back to the UK despite me not really wanting to do it as I love the US. However, its not my life anymore, its all about my kids so if it's best for my kids then I will move back to Leeds or Lytham St.Annes. My twins are 10 so I still have considerable time to find out whether doing this is the right thing and of course, time for things to change in either direction in UK education( I hear the Government is trying to make students pay more for their education which I think is fair) From the little research I have done, if we stayed here and they went to a UK university to do a three year degree as a foreign student, it would still be cheaper than doing a four year degree over here for obvious reasons. However, I was wondering if anyone can confirm the residency requirement of 3 years before being eligible to apply for tuition assistance from the government. At the end of the day, whether we move over there or not, I think UK degrees are far superior to their American equivalent, so either way I want my kids to go to the UK to get one.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:15 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University education in the UK

Originally Posted by MaineLeedsbloke
I have posted a few times here recently regarding a possible move back to the UK despite me not really wanting to do it as I love the US. However, its not my life anymore, its all about my kids so if it's best for my kids then I will move back to Leeds or Lytham St.Annes. My twins are 10 so I still have considerable time to find out whether doing this is the right thing and of course, time for things to change in either direction in UK education( I hear the Government is trying to make students pay more for their education which I think is fair) From the little research I have done, if we stayed here and they went to a UK university to do a three year degree as a foreign student, it would still be cheaper than doing a four year degree over here for obvious reasons. However, I was wondering if anyone can confirm the residency requirement of 3 years before being eligible to apply for tuition assistance from the government. At the end of the day, whether we move over there or not, I think UK degrees are far superior to their American equivalent, so either way I want my kids to go to the UK to get one.
Yes, they will need to have been "ordinarily resident" for the 3 years prior to dtarting university. Unfortunately, attendance at university doesn't count towards being "ordinarily resident" - so if you came back, and 2 years later your child went to university, they'd be classed as international fees for the whole degree programme (i.e., the first year at university wouldn't then count as a third year of residency).

There have been a few threads on this, and I started one recently about what I saw as a special case student - fortunately, I managed to get home fee status for her eventually. If you do an Advanced Search for the term "home fees" in MBTTUK, it should pull it up.

[edit: Here it is - http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=home+fee]

Last edited by dunroving; Sep 17th 2010 at 9:17 am. Reason: Found the old thread