Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

University for Canadian born kids

University for Canadian born kids

Old May 19th 2011, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default University for Canadian born kids

My British born sister (who came to Canada aged 14 and married a Brit who subsequently became Canadian also) may be going back to the UK.

Her kids are University age. I'm presuming that they will have to pay visitor fees if they choose to go back with their parents and want to go to Uni in the UK?

Does anyone have experience with this?
Old May 20th 2011, 3:34 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: University for Canadian born kids

Discussed at:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/UK_Uni...Residence_Rule
Old May 20th 2011, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

It's explained there - I've already read the wiki - but not discussed.

For instance the wiki states the 3 years residence requirement, however, it does not state whether that's "any" 3 years, or 3 years immediately preceding the application to go to uni.

So, has anyone any experience with this?
Old May 20th 2011, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy

For instance the wiki states the 3 years residence requirement, however, it does not state whether that's "any" 3 years, or 3 years immediately preceding the application to go to uni.

Actually it says that the 3 years residence requirement is not in itself enough. You have to be ordinarily resident (habitually resident) for the three years before uni and still be ordinarily resident during the uni period.

What is more, you cannot just decide that you want to become resident just to get your kids educated and then split, so you must be able to show that you are in the UK for another good reason and while there want your kids to go to uni.

See University of Sussex Entry as an example, which spells it out:

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/ug/funding/2011entry

Obviously there's no free lunch! The whole point is that you are taxable in the UK when your kids are at uni, exactly the same requirement (ordinarily resident) for NHS purposes though you qualify for that right away.

By the way, with the changes in uni fees now going through where pretty well all the top unis are charging the max of 9,000 pounds per year in 2012 the benefit of being able to get the "lower" fees has been somewhat reduced. "Foreign" students will not be paying an awful lot more than that and they may have easier access. Something to think about!

You should also consider Scotland, though their fee rules are in the process of changing too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...0-tuition-fees

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 20th 2011 at 7:52 pm.
Old May 20th 2011, 6:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My son (born in the UK and lived there until age 6, then came to live in the US when we moved here) wanted to go to graduate school in England. He applied to six places and was accepted at four. Of those, two quoted him the non-resident rate, and two quoted him the cheaper resident rate. As it happened, he chose to go to one of the places that quoted the higher non-resident rate. We discussed it and concluded that the places that quoted the lower resident rate were probably in error and would increase the quote if he accepted their offer and they went over the paperwork more carefully..
This was a one year MA course, so the financial impact was not huge. For a multi-year undergrad degree, of course it is a bigger deal.
Old May 20th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the input.

My sister may be going back 'cos her OH may be offered a contract back in the UK, so they would be living there and paying taxes for a good few years.

So that may help if the kids want to be with their parents and also go to uni back in the UK.
Old May 21st 2011, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, the summary of requirements on the wiki page is lacking in detail for that. The link contained in that wiki page indicates the requirement of 3 years residence is the full 3 years immediately prior to the first day of the academic year of the course.

Possibly hasn't helped that discussion threads for wiki pages seem to get routinely closed, so you can't question the 3 year rule there.
Old May 21st 2011, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

My British born sister (who came to Canada aged 14 and married a Brit who subsequently became Canadian also) may be going back to the UK.

Her kids are University age. I'm presuming that they will have to pay visitor fees if they choose to go back with their parents and want to go to Uni in the UK?

Does anyone have experience with this?
Hi our oldest is at Uni here in the UK applied for 3 while overseas and was offered a place at 3 two without overseas rates the other our son took off his UCAS application as it was just a long way away
Old May 21st 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi our oldest is at Uni here in the UK applied for 3 while overseas and was offered a place at 3 two without overseas rates the other our son took off his UCAS application as it was just a long way away
But that was a mistake on their part, right? I know of people who have got around the overseas rate issue by saying certain things to certain people in "authority" who have "fixed" things for them. Same goes for the NHS and medical treatment, pensions, you name it.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 21st 2011 at 10:44 am.
Old May 21st 2011, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Actually it says that the 3 years residence requirement is not in itself enough. You have to be ordinarily resident (habitually resident) for the three years before uni and still be ordinarily resident during the uni period.

What is more, you cannot just decide that you want to become resident just to get your kids educated and then split, so you must be able to show that you are in the UK for another good reason and while there want your kids to go to uni.

See University of Sussex Entry as an example, which spells it out:

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/ug/funding/2011entry

Obviously there's no free lunch! The whole point is that you are taxable in the UK when your kids are at uni, exactly the same requirement (ordinarily resident) for NHS purposes though you qualify for that right away.

By the way, with the changes in uni fees now going through where pretty well all the top unis are charging the max of 9,000 pounds per year in 2012 the benefit of being able to get the "lower" fees has been somewhat reduced. "Foreign" students will not be paying an awful lot more than that and they may have easier access. Something to think about!

You should also consider Scotland, though their fee rules are in the process of changing too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...0-tuition-fees
I found this on Oxford Brookes Website:

"There has been some confusion recently about changes to fees for degree programmes at English universities.

UK Government Ministers have voted for plans to allow universities in England to charge increased fees (up to £9,000 per year) for UK and EU students only. If this goes ahead, fee increases for UK and EU students will take effect from September 2012.

However, this will not affect fees for International students, so the fees for international students for 2012 will remain as published."

International Students:
All undergraduate courses not listed as specific courses in the tables below 2012 £11,000 £1,375 per module £3,290
All undergraduate courses not listed as specific courses in the tables below 2013 £11,400 £1,425 per module £3,420
All undergraduate courses not listed as specific courses in the tables below 2014 £11,900 £1,480 per module £3,560

Hopefully, for those who will not be able to qualify for domestic fees, these are fairly indicative of the rate differences between domestic and international (2,000 pounds for starters in 2012)
Old May 21st 2011, 12:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

However, this will not affect fees for International students, so the fees for international students for 2012 will remain as published."

International Students:
All undergraduate courses not listed as specific courses in the tables below 2012 £11,000 £1,375 per module £3,290
All undergraduate courses not listed as specific courses in the tables below 2013 £11,400 £1,425 per module £3,420
All undergraduate courses not listed as specific courses in the tables below 2014 £11,900 £1,480 per module £3,560

Hopefully, for those who will not be able to qualify for domestic fees, these are fairly indicative of the rate differences between domestic and international (2,000 pounds for starters in 2012)
That's not bad going....but lab/practical based courses tend to be much more expensive. Back when I was at uni, I did industrial design and they were charging international students £16K a year and I graduated in '02.
Old May 21st 2011, 3:12 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

But that was a mistake on their part, right?
I was wondering that too. My son applied to five universities in the UK got offers from four, ALL of them deemed him an overseas student and thereby subject to International tuition fees.
Old May 21st 2011, 3:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
I was wondering that too. My son applied to five universities in the UK got offers from four, ALL of them deemed him an overseas student and thereby subject to International tuition fees.
yeah, the LEA will reject the claim from the uni, so they'll punt you the bill afterwards.
Old May 21st 2011, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good discussion! Better than a wiki answer

When I went to Uni in London many many moons ago there was no time to have a part time job.

Given that my niece and nephew would most likely be deemed "visitors" would they have time to do a PT job to help pay for their education?

University life and study in the UK really seems to have changed: it seems more North American somehow. I know most people work through their "college" days over here. I worked full-time and went to University full-time.
Old May 21st 2011, 9:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Given that my niece and nephew would most likely be deemed "visitors" would they have time to do a PT job to help pay for their education?
Depends on what they're studying, how heavy/hard the course is and how much of a drinking degree they think the whole experience is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.