Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK is way cheaper than the USA

UK is way cheaper than the USA

Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK is way cheaper than the USA

Originally Posted by dunroving
Not as far as I know. They have been frozen here (Scotland) for a few years.
Property valuations have not been changed since 1991 but that is not to say that the rate of levy hasn't changed or one's own banding.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Property valuations have not been changed since 1991 but that is not to say that the rate of levy hasn't changed or one's own banding.
In the UK, you mean, or the US? (I know that in NC, the property valuations were decades old, but the property tax went up nonetheless - valuations were only used to set relative taxation between properties).

In Scotland, I don't know what the situation is regarding valuations, but the absolute cost of council tax has been frozen for a while (mine hasn't changed in about 4 years). I think council tax is frozen in the UK nationwide at the moment, or that's the plan. I think.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK, you mean, or the US? (I know that in NC, the property valuations were decades old, but the property tax went up nonetheless - valuations were only used to set relative taxation between properties).

In Scotland, I don't know what the situation is regarding valuations, but the absolute cost of council tax has been frozen for a while (mine hasn't changed in about 4 years). I think council tax is frozen in the UK nationwide at the moment, or that's the plan. I think.
You were talking of the UK in response to Bud, so I clarified the UK (English really) position.
Old Nov 2nd 2012, 11:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

In the US, one is health care. If you are a government employee, or live in Massachusetts (right?), it's not a major budgetary issue. But if you don't have insurance, or subsidized insurance it makes a HUGE difference to your cost of living.
Mass is mandatory, you're right....but it can still cost you $400 a month a person to be on the state plan, depending on your income.

One thing that surprised me, and this is just in the area I'm in...but to be eligible for low cost housing, as each town has to reserve a percentage, 10% I think for low cost. Next town over had just built a bunch of new condo's and a 2 bed apartment was $1600 a month but you had to have less than $32K family income.

I don't know about you, but with than kind of income, I don't think to many could afford that rent...but now they're not poor enough to qualify for other housing options like section 8, which even with that has a 2 year waiting list to be a part of.

So there's a huge gap between the very poor, the middle class working poor and then everyone else and you really notice it in the kind of benefits that are available and the kind of healthcare that is offered.

It's quite sad.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by robin1234
Very true, and.. Some homeowners in the US pay $2K or $3K per year in property taxes, while others pay $15,000 a year or more (and I'm just talking about ordinary middle-class suburban houses not mansions.) I believe in the UK the council tax (is that what it is called?) is not so variable..
We don't live anywhere special or in a super nice house, we will probably list it next year for about $265,000 and we would be happy to get $240,000 for it, we live in Tennessee and have to pay both city and county prop taxes to the tune of right at $4,000 a year!

our sales tax here is 9.25% and when we dropped our health insurance because they raised it from $300 a month to $1400 a month ( never had a claim nor did they ever pay out a dime on us for the 10 years we were insured - after I left work when our son was born- we are self employed )

Last edited by Maltoo; Nov 5th 2012 at 11:38 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 11:46 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maltoo
list it next year for about $265,000 and we would be happy to get $240,000 for it
Knowledge is power.
Now I'll know what kind of an offer to put in
Old Nov 6th 2012, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Maltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really niceMaltoo is just really nice

Knowledge is power.
Now I'll know what kind of an offer to put in
I would be way happy with the $240,000

Just did our Bills
Electric $220
Internet and home phone $100
TV $180
water $60
Insurance Home owners $390
Cell phone 3 with 2 smart phones with data $200

all of above is monthly
Old Nov 6th 2012, 1:17 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

$390 a month for homeowners insurance sounds high. We pay about $1,000 a year (2,600 sq ft, 4 bed, 2 bath, built 1860, 5 acres.)
Old Nov 6th 2012, 1:30 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The best place in the world is the place we have chosen to live in, I dont find it necessary to live in every country in the world to know that.
Getting quite philosophical there Chris, raising the issue of what it is possible for a man to know, etc.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 1:32 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

I would be way happy with the $240,000

Just did our Bills
Electric $220
Internet and home phone $100
TV $180
water $60
Insurance Home owners $390
Cell phone 3 with 2 smart phones with data $200

all of above is monthly
Holy crap! Australia is cheaper than that for power even after the carbon tax. Winter quarter was $800 but is usually $400, but we're going to monitor bills over the next year and what's what. There ain't no way I'm paying $800 a quarter for electricity though. I have already made savings by spending less in the supermarkets so Coles is paying for the carbon tax.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Zen10
Holy crap! Australia is cheaper than that for power even after the carbon tax. Winter quarter was $800 but is usually $400, but we're going to monitor bills over the next year and what's what. There ain't no way I'm paying $800 a quarter for electricity though. I have already made savings by spending less in the supermarkets so Coles is paying for the carbon tax.
I know, Right! and we live in a cheap area for Electric or so they keep telling us. LOL

$390 a month for homeowners insurance sounds high. We pay about $1,000 a year (2,600 sq ft, 4 bed, 2 bath, built 1860, 5 acres.)
it includes our cars and 2 rental homes, I should have been more clear just wanted to differentiate it from Health
Old Nov 6th 2012, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Right.....how about Texas with a $770 average air conditioning bill monthly in the summer months with less than four year old units in a 3600 sq ft house.
Cant wait for Belfast weather.......:-)
40 years in Texas......so excited to get out of here.......
Old Nov 6th 2012, 7:08 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Right.....how about Texas with a $770 average air conditioning bill monthly in the summer months with less than four year old units in a 3600 sq ft house.
Cant wait for Belfast weather.......:-)
40 years in Texas......so excited to get out of here.......
We wont even spend that much a quarter for electricity AND gas, thats crazy.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris955
We wont even spend that much a quarter for electricity AND gas, thats crazy.
Texas has a crazy Electrical system - you choose your provider and the rates are all over the place!

Here in Tennessee we only have 2 choices it is EPB or solar so basically only one choice.

Not sure what part of Texas Celticspirit is in but $770 a month is crazy! I would be shopping around for a different provider. The highest we have had here in Tennessee was $350 and that is usually just a month or two the lowest we have had was about $75,granted our house is a tad smaller at only 3000 sq ft. You can have the Power Board ave your rates and pay the same thing every month if you like and then if you have any overage at the end of the year you get a rebate.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Texas has a crazy Electrical system - you choose your provider and the rates are all over the place!

Here in Tennessee we only have 2 choices it is EPB or solar so basically only one choice.

Not sure what part of Texas Celticspirit is in but $770 a month is crazy! I would be shopping around for a different provider. The highest we have had here in Tennessee was $350 and that is usually just a month or two the lowest we have had was about $75,granted our house is a tad smaller at only 3000 sq ft. You can have the Power Board ave your rates and pay the same thing every month if you like and then if you have any overage at the end of the year you get a rebate.
I'm in Las Colinas which is a Dallas suburb. We have changed our provider three times. There is not much difference among them. We have lots of windows and high ceilings. We have four inch wooden shutters and wooden blinds. We are not out of line for our area and don't keep our house really cool.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.