Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK-US tax returns service providers: Any recommendations?

UK-US tax returns service providers: Any recommendations?

Old Mar 1st 2013, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice
Question UK-US tax returns service providers: Any recommendations?

Hello:

I moved to the UK from US around 8-9 months ago. Got a good job in the UK in an American firm which pays my salary to my UK account directly from the US, on which I will be lawfully paying my British taxes next month (unfortunately they have been unable to set me up on payee but hoping to do so at some point).

My question is: Due to me moving here last year and my salary being paid without tax deduction, I feel much comfortable of having my taxes submitted through a reliable company. Hence, can anyone please recommend a company that definitely does US tax-returns...I guess I can have my UK taxes done locally if required but if someone provides both services (UK and US) at reasonable price that would be great.

Any feedback or suggestion for someone in my situation is very welcome...

Thank you!

Last edited by manny1980; Mar 1st 2013 at 7:52 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:02 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK-US tax returns service providers: Any recommendations?

Dual qualified tax consultants are high priced and/or in short supply. You may well have to engage two separate advisers and have them talk to each other if necessary.

If you're a U.S. citizen you will always have to file federal tax returns (usually not state) declaring worldwide income. They will normally credit you for U.K. tax.

Be aware of U.S. foreign bank account reporting requirements.

Just because something is "tax free" in the U.K. doesn't mean it's tax free in the United States.

Don't invest in non-U.S. pooled investments (mutual funds etc).
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

larrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of lightlarrabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK-US tax returns service providers: Any recommendations?

Originally Posted by manny1980
can anyone please recommend a company that definitely does US tax-returns...I guess I can have my UK taxes done locally if required but if someone provides both services (UK and US) at reasonable price that would be great.

I am currently in the position of being required to file both US and UK tax returns and had the same question.
I was referred through this site by an extremely reputable source to Pete Newton http://www.britishexpatstax.com/
He impressed me very much and I fully intend to use him to prepare my US tax return this year. He is able to do UK returns too although I have been managing to do those by myself!
I don't want to mention the price that he quoted me as the work involved in your case may be different to mine but in my opinion he is very reasonable, especially in terms of his obvious expertise in the dual taxation field.