Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Uk university for non resident Brit

Uk university for non resident Brit

Old Nov 23rd 2012, 2:29 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk university for non resident Brit

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Everything is far from clear, but I had an exchange of emails with Britain's largest University and as far as I could discern - unlike other universities they seem to not have a three year residence rule to apply English rates to students who reside (since only recently) in England. There is a three year rule for Scots resident students and also a three year residence rule when it comes to the (new this year) loans for part time students.

Britain's largest University is, of course, The Open University, and their fees for undergraduate (Baccalaureate) students in England who take on a workload equivalent to full time (degrees in three or four years) is £5,000 per annum for students in England. For Scotland it is less than £1,700 per annum but the three year rule is applied.

Of course it is necessary to relocate to England before applying to the University (rather than the reverse) if one is to benefit from that route. OU may not be quite what you had in mind but it is a great "if all else fails" option.

And it opens the door to working and earning money at the same time as studying - though as others will attest, doing that resulting in having zero leisure time. This would be particularly valuable to anyone who intends work for a polyglot.
That sounds great.

I am currently studying with the University Of London's International programme and their rates are pretty reasonable compared to similar online/distance programmes here in the US.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 11:24 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Maybe, but my son has had great service from them so far ... so he isn't complaining

I just wanted to offer is as an option to Tel8, as they were extremely helpful and accommodating as far as my son was concerned with regard to opening his student account. Compared to the two other banks he tried they were by far the best.

But as with everything, everyone's mileage may vary.
It's good to know they seem to be doing a good job with one sector of their customers, at least. Every week there is at least one complaint highlighted in the "Money problems" column of the Sunday Times, and the woman is always making comments along the lines that Santander seem to be going out of their way to keep their "worst customer service" tag.

From recollection, it seems that the problems I read about in the column are largely with people who are trying to do out of the ordinary things (transferring accounts, opening ISAs, etc.). Maybe students have such basic needs that Santander can manage not to fluff things up too much. Sometimes you go with the bank that can give you what you need - needs must and all that. I guess the main thing I'd recommend to anyone planning to use Santander is to keep a good record of communications etc., in case things go belly up (hopefully not).
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 6:06 pm
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

Hi all,

I just got back (well about 3 hours ago) from our local shopping mall here in Chiang Mai, Thailand. There is always something going on there, and one of the things today was a Uculele show put on to celebrate 150 years of Thai-American contact - in particular Hawaii (Hawaiian Universities). It was co-arranged, it seems, by the American Consulate and American Education for Foreign Students (OK I made up that title, but it was something along those lines).

While I as there, I perused the stalls and listened to the show a bit. I picked up lots of information - including a DVD ( I also have their web address which I will post here if anyone is interested - and if I am allowed to?) on how to go about getting USA education as a foreigner. There are many options it seems, including (for non-native speakers) sitting TOEFL (etc) exams as pre-req's or taking excellerated 'English for Students' courses (at the colleges or in special foreign student language schools). For us native speakers (assuming kids also native speakers) especially with European qualifications ('A' levels/IB) then this is not needed of course.

One option (for the price conscious) are split courses where the first two years are taken at colleges and the last two (undergrad) are taken at the state uni (this includes prestigious uni's like Berkeley). This in effect cuts the over all cost dramatically. Given the low dollar right now (especially for those of us paid in Asia - Thailand around 30 baht/$).

There are also many scholorships available for foreign students in the States (the Brit scholorships all seems to be for home Brits, EU or American students!).

I am now seriously considering American Universities for my girls instead of British ones - they seem to be really trying to get Asian students and make it affordable and easy. There are courses aimed specifically at Asian students in some colleges too (I presume, without doing any further investigation as yet, this means course content that is Asian rather than American centred.biased). With some of the courses I looked at at good uni's (full national accreditation of course) coming in at under 10k GBP per year including tuition, books, accomodation and insurance - all with guaranteed on-campass housing for the full term of the course.

Seems to me British higher education is pricing itself out of the game and doing nought to attract foreign students (resting on the laurels of years gone by and age old reputation that only really holds for those few select uni's - OxBridge et al).

Anyway, seemd apt and timely given this thread, so thought I would share, and give a possible alternative.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 7:09 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Under £10k for a year at US uni books and dorm included? Even local students going to in state Unis don't pay that little, something is missing there. My friends Dd pays more than that and no accommodations included.
My own son's Uni cost $37,000 a year including Dorm but not including books.
Old Dec 2nd 2012, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you getting your figures from? American schools will reach out to overseas folks for many reasons and a major one being the amount of tuition they will charge.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:04 am
CM, LoS

wolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud ofwolf5370 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Under £10k for a year at US uni books and dorm included? Even local students going to in state Unis don't pay that little, something is missing there. My friends Dd pays more than that and no accommodations included.
My own son's Uni cost $37,000 a year including Dorm but not including books.
Originally Posted by fulwood
Where are you getting your figures from? American schools will reach out to overseas folks for many reasons and a major one being the amount of tuition they will charge.
Hi, as said it was in the paperwork from yesterday's event. Figures in particular came from a free magazine they gave with uni/college ads. I will quote a few of them a bit later - it may be that I have miss-read, but seemed pretty straight forward (maybe be it was semester - let me recheck) - bit busy right now it being 9am Monday morning here, but will post later today (and appologise if I miss quoted of course )
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 1:13 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wolf5370
Hi, as said it was in the paperwork from yesterday's event. Figures in particular came from a free magazine they gave with uni/college ads. I will quote a few of them a bit later - it may be that I have miss-read, but seemed pretty straight forward (maybe be it was semester - let me recheck) - bit busy right now it being 9am Monday morning here, but will post later today (and appologise if I miss quoted of course )
If those are the numbers quoted it makes me wonder if it's a bit bait and switch, they add all kinds of stuff on afterwards, or they are those small unaccredited colleges that cater only to foreign students, giving them very basic accommodations in very cheap (ie not safe) areas.
This is where my son went
This is where my friends Daughter goes You can look up the tuition costs for international students.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:07 am
CM, LoS

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
If those are the numbers quoted it makes me wonder if it's a bit bait and switch, they add all kinds of stuff on afterwards, or they are those small unaccredited colleges that cater only to foreign students, giving them very basic accommodations in very cheap (ie not safe) areas.
This is where my son went
This is where my friends Daughter goes You can look up the tuition costs for international students.
It said they were all nationally accredited (I haven't checked as yet - but some were famous names; famous colleges not at those prices of course though). I will dig out the paperwork at lunch time and post the details - like I said, could be per semester or other careful wording, I just skimmed through them last night - but the prices did strike me for some of these colleges.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:14 am
CM, LoS

OK as promised - just skimming the magazine (Study in the USA). Most do not list prices (or only partial - i.e. course fees) - here are a few. They are all listed as accredited, but I have done no research on any of them, so they may not be great - I list here for reference only. I am also working from a Baht to $ price (and then to Pound using Thai rates) as that is how I am affected by exchange rates etc - so may be more expensive if just going direct from pound to dollar (? - Baht is strong against both, but more so against dollar, which is weak).

Foothill+De Anza (Ca) - note this does lots of half degrees (i.e. first 2 years) and then students move over to unis like Berkeley (119 int students in 2011), UCLA (167 int. students 2011), USC, Indiana, Cornell etc. - Only lists tuition fees of $6500 per year (195k b/just under 4kGBP). This would drastically reduce the cost of a degree with such prestigious universities - but of course year 3 and 4 may be much more expensive.

Valencia College (same 1st 2 years - and includes F and J visas) - Orlando Fl. No price, but states 40% less than state prices.

Monterey Peninsula College (MPC) (Ca.) listed prices as follows: total yearly cost of $16k (broken down to : tuition $5,200, Living expenses $8,700, books $800, Health Ins $1,300) (480k baht / 9,800 GBP). Also has 2 year tranfer degrees to all major state unis (see above)

There are probably more if I had time to read every advert (like I said, most have no listed price that I could see - but imply or state low fees). There was an interesting breakdown though (artical not advert) which gives prices as follows (obviously, there is great variation as it includes community college degrees up to ivy league privates!) - These are averages or ranges:
Entrance exams: $500
Application fees: $250-600
Tuition: $5,000 - 30,000
Room+Board: $3,000 - 7,500
Travel (flights etc): $500-4,000
Book: $900
Health Insurance: $350-500
Personal Expenses: $2,500

Anyway, hope this helps and gives at least an alternative line of inquirey. Not done any research myself yet, so please check into any of what I stated above (direct from ed mag) before taking it a gospel.

Last edited by wolf5370; Dec 3rd 2012 at 4:17 am. Reason: typos
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:19 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

There was an interesting breakdown though (artical not advert) which gives prices as follows (obviously, there is great variation as it includes community college degrees up to ivy league privates!) - These are averages or ranges:
Hmm, that's quite a range in tuition costs...per year, I assume (?). Also a range in the room+board costs.

Interesting that the colleges mentioned are in states with milder climates (California, Florida, and Hawaii in previous post). Perhaps these states can get away with lower housing costs for students?

I've noticed that room+board costs for colleges here in the northeast US, with their much colder winters, start around $6K and can go as high as $10K.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

OK as promised - just skimming the magazine (Study in the USA). Most do not list prices (or only partial - i.e. course fees) - here are a few. They are all listed as accredited, but I have done no research on any of them, so they may not be great - I list here for reference only. I am also working from a Baht to $ price (and then to Pound using Thai rates) as that is how I am affected by exchange rates etc - so may be more expensive if just going direct from pound to dollar (? - Baht is strong against both, but more so against dollar, which is weak).

Foothill+De Anza (Ca) - note this does lots of half degrees (i.e. first 2 years) and then students move over to unis like Berkeley (119 int students in 2011), UCLA (167 int. students 2011), USC, Indiana, Cornell etc. - Only lists tuition fees of $6500 per year (195k b/just under 4kGBP). This would drastically reduce the cost of a degree with such prestigious universities - but of course year 3 and 4 may be much more expensive.

Valencia College (same 1st 2 years - and includes F and J visas) - Orlando Fl. No price, but states 40% less than state prices.

Monterey Peninsula College (MPC) (Ca.) listed prices as follows: total yearly cost of $16k (broken down to : tuition $5,200, Living expenses $8,700, books $800, Health Ins $1,300) (480k baht / 9,800 GBP). Also has 2 year tranfer degrees to all major state unis (see above)

There are probably more if I had time to read every advert (like I said, most have no listed price that I could see - but imply or state low fees). There was an interesting breakdown though (artical not advert) which gives prices as follows (obviously, there is great variation as it includes community college degrees up to ivy league privates!) - These are averages or ranges:

Anyway, hope this helps and gives at least an alternative line of inquirey. Not done any research myself yet, so please check into any of what I stated above (direct from ed mag) before taking it a gospel.
Foothill and de Anza is not a 'prestigious college' but a community college. Room and board will be $7,500 not $3,000.
Oh OK you are talking about Berkeley - how sure are you that the student could transfer from CC to there?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:51 pm
CM, LoS

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Hmm, that's quite a range in tuition costs...per year, I assume (?). Also a range in the room+board costs.

Interesting that the colleges mentioned are in states with milder climates (California, Florida, and Hawaii in previous post). Perhaps these states can get away with lower housing costs for students?

I've noticed that room+board costs for colleges here in the northeast US, with their much colder winters, start around $6K and can go as high as $10K.
They say per year in the ads. The prices were only on a few, and (coincidentally?) they happened to be warmer climate states. Honestly do not know any more than I saw in the free mag.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

My son's room and board in San Luis Obispo (warm climate) is about $10,000 pa.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 2:58 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

I'd be very suspicious of their figures, Junior college or Community college isn't the same as a four year University, it is possible to do a couple of years there then transfer to a 4 year Uni, but they are now over subscribed and local students are even having trouble getting the classes they need to transfer or to Graduate with an AA degree (I think that is like a foundation degree) classes are huge and overcrowded and there are wait lists for just about everything. De Anza is East bay and not a cheap place to live rent wise. As is Monterey (expensive rent) Also International students are limited to working on campus part time only, so she'd be limited in what she could earn for extras.

If they are saying 2 years at a community college and then transfer over to a 4 year Uni, you need to compare prices at UK colleges. My son was accepted as an International student for a UK college for a 2 year foundation degree cost £7,000 per year, no book costs only takes two years then one year at a Uni to get the BA at something like £9,000 for the year (this is Wales) So three years total for a BA in UK. In USA it's minimum 4 years most are taking 5 and 6 years now due to cutbacks in classes and teachers, and students unable to get needed classes for graduation.

We ran the numbers for our oldest son to go to Uni here in US as a local student and in UK at a Uni as an international student and found four years here verses three years there, to cost us slightly less in UK, but he wasn't ready to go so far, and went here. Second son wants UK education and has moved over already.

Last edited by Mummy in the foothills; Dec 3rd 2012 at 3:01 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:00 pm
CM, LoS

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Foothill and de Anza is not a 'prestigious college' but a community college. Room and board will be $7,500 not $3,000.
Oh OK you are talking about Berkeley - how sure are you that the student could transfer from CC to there?
Yes, it seems to be that most of the one's giving prices are community colleges that peform a split degree - first half of the 4 year degree with them, then a guaranteed transfer (guaranteed to a state uni, not to a particular one, I would suggest). As to how sure am I? I have no evidence either way, so at this juncture not sure at all. However, one uni did state some numbers for Berkeley and UCLA as I reported.

I only know as much as I have told you guys. I thought it was something worth checking into if price was the reason that the States was being overlooked - given the fact that most of us Brit expats will get lumbered with full foreign student fees for a Brit children (without loan schemes in most cases too) backm in old Blighty. My girls are still too young for now, so it was only interest that drove me to picking up the literature and looking at the stalls, and seeing this thread, thought it was opportune and worth mentioning.

I have also heard good things about Scandanavian Uni's too (with courses in English) - but only have word of mouth on that for now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.