UK - Underrated Kingdom?

Old Oct 13th 2008, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK - Underrated Kingdom?

Originally Posted by backagen
No you don't have to agree. Maybe this debate belongs on another thread though.
Yeah your right it is supposed to be about how underrated the uk is. Not how good you think masterplanned communities in Oz are.

Last edited by Notts_bloke; Oct 13th 2008 at 1:03 pm.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:40 pm
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

In regards to housing, I wasn't saying immediately get rid of all the old houses (not that that would be possible) because I know some people like them. However I suspect that the majority of people living in old victorian terraced or semi-detached houses do not especially love the external appearance of the house or the street they live in, but they bought the house because it's what was available and affordable.

I say that new developments of contemporary, well designed suburbs should be built to provide an alternative for those of us who like that.

That has happened here in Adelaide and now almost all new homes that are built (in new and existing suburbs) are stunning in appearance.

Having said that, if you've never seen a contemporary house, or a masterplanned suburb, then you would probably find it impossible to see the benefits because you wouldn't even know what they are.

To get a bit of an idea of what I'm talking about, go to www.delfin.com.au and look at some of their recent developments.

I defy anyone to tell me they wouldn't like to live in such a place, and the simple reason is that they are planned from the outset to be fully self-contained, beautiful, safe, and highly functional communities. Generally most older suburbs in Britain never were planned that way.

I would love to see some of this in UK, either on greenfields sites or as regeneration projects on a large scale to replace existing areas that are run down. Obviously though that is extremely hard to do because it usually involves having to compulsorily aquire a lot of peoples homes.
I had a look, tried to see what is happeing in Brisbane, found there was no images on the site so couldn't see what you are talking about.

THere is a map of the area but since I do know Aust doesn't mean anything.

Is there something I didn't do ?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:12 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

That's not what I meant by a masterplanned suburb! A masterplanned suburb includes integrated community facilities, sports venues, parks and gardens, shopping, restaurants, usually bike paths / walking trails, lakes and ponds, churches, schools and often other facilities. The best ones are located close to a major source of jobs so that a lot of the people living in the masterplanned suburb can also work there, and thus walk / cycle to work (reducing traffic).

Anyway I've said enough about new houses and suburbs now, my point is that a lot of people DO like them (obviously, otherwise they wouldn't be so popular in Australia) and they are very hard if not impossible to find in Britain. My point is that there should be SOME such places, for those who like them because for me (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) the lack of modern homes and masterplanned suburbs is a major thing putting me off moving back home.
Sounds like Milton Keynes - perhaps you could look there.

For me, Victorian everytime, perhaps Edwardian at a push.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:33 pm

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by camponotus
Does anyone agree that it's become almost a bit daring to suggest that, whilst you love Australia, Canada, America or wherever it is you think you like the UK better?

It's become the established, accepted view that the UK is basically crap and if you've got the opportunity to live elsewhere then you should seize it with both hands. I think that this is especially true when the comparison being made is UK to Australia, because the Australians don't really respect the British and the UK in the same way that the North Americans do. Obviously that's my opinion but I think I have a fair point. They tend to assume that Australia is, well, perfect and has everything you could ever want whereas the Americans and Canadians, whilst they are generally patriotic and proud of their respective countries, can usually see the charm and beauty of England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. I sometimes think that perhaps the Australians NEED to believe that Australia is great cos they're such a long way from anywhere else and they have a bit of an inferiority complex based on their history as a penal colony and relative lack of cultural contribution.

In general though I find that when you say 'actually, do you know what, I really miss the UK and I think I prefer it's country pubs, old buildings, humour and easy access to genuine diversity' people act like you're a bit nuts, like you've merely forgotten that the UK is crap. After all, everybody knows that, don't they? My Australian wife can't help but rush to the defense of Australia if I do so much as suggest that the Radio stations are better in the UK (which they clearly are).

Do the Aussies not see how tiring their relentless defense of Australia gets?

The Brits need to learn to be as proud of the UK as all these other countries are of themselves. We need to be prepared to defend the UK rather than mindlessly agreeing with every negative stereotype and generalisation that gets bandied about.
It's not just the Aussies that defend Australia either - it Poms as well - who somehow have to do it to justify their decisions to live here.

It's also annoying that it's ok ti criticize the UK - but if you criticize Australia - everyone lands on you like a ton of bricks - and it's having to put up with that "mindset" for life that is so off putting.
Old Oct 13th 2008, 10:49 pm
Banned

Lookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to allLookin2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
It's not just the Aussies that defend Australia either - it Poms as well - who somehow have to do it to justify their decisions to live here.

It's also annoying that it's ok ti criticize the UK - but if you criticize Australia - everyone lands on you like a ton of bricks - and it's having to put up with that "mindset" for life that is so off putting.
Agree with that and is exactly the same here in NZ.

If you support the All Blacks and say everything is wonderful here everybody loves you but try to discus some of the issues that the country is faced with and see the response.

I remember the first year here at a few interviews I was asked the usual “so why New Zealand” and I replied” great salaries and cheap housing” as a joke which was received with that vacant expression.

In fact my brother in law that moved here used to ask me if I has taken my Kiwi Tablets, those that make you smile and say, “Have a nice day, see ya later”.

Still have the note to self:
Kiwis do not have a good sense of humour, even if the salary for the job is crap make out like you are really enthused about everything in New Zealand and busy trying to convince all my friends and family overseas to move to New Zealand.

DO NOT mention the PAST or relate to the history of New Zealand when they used to eat each other. Do NOT laugh at Billy Connelly’s jokes about Kiwis. Don’t mention the fact that you find things really backward in the business world and opportunities to improve.

Have a nice day & see ya later
Old Oct 13th 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
Agree with that and is exactly the same here in NZ.

If you support the All Blacks and say everything is wonderful here everybody loves you but try to discus some of the issues that the country is faced with and see the response.

I remember the first year here at a few interviews I was asked the usual “so why New Zealand” and I replied” great salaries and cheap housing” as a joke which was received with that vacant expression.

In fact my brother in law that moved here used to ask me if I has taken my Kiwi Tablets, those that make you smile and say, “Have a nice day, see ya later”.

Still have the note to self:
Kiwis do not have a good sense of humour, even if the salary for the job is crap make out like you are really enthused about everything in New Zealand and busy trying to convince all my friends and family overseas to move to New Zealand.

DO NOT mention the PAST or relate to the history of New Zealand when they used to eat each other. Do NOT laugh at Billy Connelly’s jokes about Kiwis. Don’t mention the fact that you find things really backward in the business world and opportunities to improve.

Have a nice day & see ya later
If all that bothers you, then you need to change your username for sure
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
If all that bothers you, then you need to change your username for sure

Yeah a few people have said that Ozzies are narrow minded like the Kiwis

But I heard that you guys at least pay better and due to your people / skills shortage were given the choice of Pomies or Asians to invade your country to i guess it is a two-way street.

At least the poms get to have a laugh about it

Look on the bright side, you get exposure to the finer things in life like cricket and cucumber sandwiches and the royal family. A tad of refining could improve your global image so the poms do offer you something in return for taking your jobs

Let’s face it the Ozzy history does have a hint of British in the genes anyway.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 11:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lookin2Oz
Yeah a few people have said that Ozzies are narrow minded like the Kiwis

But I heard that you guys at least pay better and due to your people / skills shortage were given the choice of Pomies or Asians to invade your country to i guess it is a two-way street.

At least the poms get to have a laugh about it

Look on the bright side, you get exposure to the finer things in life like cricket and cucumber sandwiches and the royal family. A tad of refining could improve your global image so the poms do offer you something in return for taking your jobs

Let’s face it the Ozzy history does have a hint of British in the genes anyway.
Have you seen the price of cucumbers here lately? They have taken over from the banana and the lettuce as food only for the wealthy

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565887

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 14th 2008 at 12:16 pm. Reason: Adding link
Old Oct 14th 2008, 9:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have you seen the price of cucumbers here lately? They have taken over from the banana and the lettuce as food only for the wealthy

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=565887
Oh well, just have to slum it with jam sandwich
Old Oct 19th 2008, 11:58 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

About the British lady teacher asking her mainly Muslim pupils to name the class teddy Mohammed, it was definitely a school in the United Arab Emirates like LL said, either Dubai or Sharjah. It was simply some zealous parents who objected to an animal being named after you-know-who (Peace Be Upon Him). She was only suspended, not imprisoned from what I recall. No idea where Khartoum entered the story but its the sort of thing that would probably occur there too. It was only noteworthy, however, because it was actually in the UAE which is supposed to be multi-cultural. For those who don't know, over 80% of the population here are expats, mostly from the Indian sub-continent. For some reason, Dubai is getting invaded right now by Brits looking for work in the real estate, IT and other professions. Maybe its just the time of year...another cold winter on the horizon?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
About the British lady teacher asking her mainly Muslim pupils to name the class teddy Mohammed, it was definitely a school in the United Arab Emirates like LL said, either Dubai or Sharjah. It was simply some zealous parents who objected to an animal being named after you-know-who (Peace Be Upon Him). She was only suspended, not imprisoned from what I recall. No idea where Khartoum entered the story but its the sort of thing that would probably occur there too. It was only noteworthy, however, because it was actually in the UAE which is supposed to be multi-cultural. For those who don't know, over 80% of the population here are expats, mostly from the Indian sub-continent. For some reason, Dubai is getting invaded right now by Brits looking for work in the real estate, IT and other professions. Maybe its just the time of year...another cold winter on the horizon?
Here's the news story for anyone who's interested

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7112929.stm
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:15 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
Here's the news story for anyone who's interested

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7112929.stm
I stand corrected. It was a Turkish neighbour of ours who mistakenly assumed it happened at an Islamic school here in the UAE and spread the rumour. Anyway, the good news is that the lady teacher received an official pardon from the Sudanese President and went home to the UK soon after. Luckily she wasn't working in Saudi Arabia or she may have gone home with a part of her body missing.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I stand corrected. It was a Turkish neighbour of ours who mistakenly assumed it happened at an Islamic school here in the UAE and spread the rumour.
Just my Northern Irish paranoia I had to check out the story for myself
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

i stand corrected xxxxx but dont think she had a gr8 time in rison even if she was sent hme xxx
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

LH...ure so lucky having Turkish neighbours i find them lovely people xxxxxxxx