Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK students put up a fight

UK students put up a fight

Old Nov 11th 2010, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

NaimTakieddin will become famous soon enoughNaimTakieddin will become famous soon enough
Default UK students put up a fight

10/11/2010 / UNITED KINGDOM
UK students put up a fight: “If they vandalise our public services, we will vandalise them!”
United Kingdom.
Photo posted on Flickr by Semisara.

Violence flared briefly at an otherwise peaceful student rally in London as protesters furious against government plans to triple university tuition fees broke into the Conservative Party headquarters and vandalised the reception area. Our Observer was there.

According to student unions, over 52,000 students, lecturers and supporters marched past the House of Parliament carrying placards reading “Stop education cuts” or, more humorously, “Cameron, Kiss my Arts” and “Hogwarts is Free”.

I TOOK IT FROM FRANCE24 WEBSITE

Lawmakers in the coming weeks will vote on proposals to lift maximum tuition fees to 9,000 pounds (10,541 euros). The newly elected Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition government plans to cut 2.9 billion pounds (3.4 billion euros) of state support a year for universities to help tackle a budget deficit that has soared to nearly 11 percent of gross domestic product following the global financial crisis. But protesters say the fee hikes will bar students from low-income families from reaching higher education.Contributors

Ed G.

shailyn_shah
.“If they vandalise our public services, we will vandalise them!”
Ed, who preferred not to give his full name, studied mechanics at King’s College London and is now working as a waiter during a gap year. We reached him on his cell phone just as he was leaving the Conservative HQ at 30 Millbank, where protests turned violent.

There was a huge crowd in front of the headquarters when I got there, and I was literally pushed into the building when the windows were smashed open.

What happened was, some people managed to force their way into a side entrance, and began smashing things in the reception area. Police tried to stop them, but then they were overwhelmed by the sheer size of the crowd, and more people got in. Afterwards things went crazy, the main entrance was opened from inside, people were streaming in. Someone smashed a plasma TV hanging on a wall, others were drawing graffiti. I went up to the roof, there was a great view of the protest from up there. I saw two bonfires burning in the courtyard of the building, apparently people were burning posters.

The atmosphere was chaotic, but not really violent. Most people were just having fun, running around the building but not vandalising. I did see police get rough at two points: once at the beginning, when they were trying to stop people coming in, they hit several protesters with batons. Then when reinforcements arrived and they raided the building and were very aggressively throwing people out.

I think the vandalism was justified by the fact that the Conservatives ruling our country are vandalising our public services! The people protesting were students or other people who care a lot about education in this country, and who don’t think that just waving a banner or two outside Parliament is enough to protest. Direct action is needed against the criminals in our government who think nothing of spending billions on endless wars then say there’s not enough money left to pay for schools! The damage that was done today is nowhere near the damage this government is getting ready to do to our country.”
Old Nov 11th 2010, 3:07 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK students put up a fight

Originally Posted by NaimTakieddin
UK students put up a fight: “If they vandalise our public services, we will vandalise them!”
United Kingdom.

Violence flared briefly at an otherwise peaceful student rally in London as protesters furious against government plans to triple university tuition fees broke into the Conservative Party headquarters and vandalised the reception area. Our Observer was there.

According to student unions, over 52,000 students, lecturers and supporters marched past the House of Parliament carrying placards reading “Stop education cuts” or, more humorously, “Cameron, Kiss my Arts” and “Hogwarts is Free”.

Lawmakers in the coming weeks will vote on proposals to lift maximum tuition fees to 9,000 pounds (10,541 euros). The newly elected Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition government plans to cut 2.9 billion pounds (3.4 billion euros) of state support a year for universities to help tackle a budget deficit that has soared to nearly 11 percent of gross domestic product following the global financial crisis. But protesters say the fee hikes will bar students from low-income families from reaching higher education.Contributors

Ed G.

shailyn_shah
Ed, who preferred not to give his full name, studied mechanics at King’s College London and is now working as a waiter during a gap year. We reached him on his cell phone just as he was leaving the Conservative HQ at 30 Millbank, where protests turned violent.

There was a huge crowd in front of the headquarters when I got there, and I was literally pushed into the building when the windows were smashed open.

What happened was, some people managed to force their way into a side entrance, and began smashing things in the reception area. Police tried to stop them, but then they were overwhelmed by the sheer size of the crowd, and more people got in. Afterwards things went crazy, the main entrance was opened from inside, people were streaming in. Someone smashed a plasma TV hanging on a wall, others were drawing graffiti. I went up to the roof, there was a great view of the protest from up there. I saw two bonfires burning in the courtyard of the building, apparently people were burning posters.

The atmosphere was chaotic, but not really violent. Most people were just having fun, running around the building but not vandalising. I did see police get rough at two points: once at the beginning, when they were trying to stop people coming in, they hit several protesters with batons. Then when reinforcements arrived and they raided the building and were very aggressively throwing people out.

I think the vandalism was justified by the fact that the Conservatives ruling our country are vandalising our public services! The people protesting were students or other people who care a lot about education in this country, and who don’t think that just waving a banner or two outside Parliament is enough to protest. Direct action is needed against the criminals in our government who think nothing of spending billions on endless wars then say there’s not enough money left to pay for schools! The damage that was done today is nowhere near the damage this government is getting ready to do to our country.”
Whatever.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:35 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NaimTakieddin
United Kingdom.

Ed G.

shailyn_shah

This is pathetic.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:38 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

OP, where are you coming from?

I can't work out if all of your post is/are quotes from the press or if the final part is your own contribution.