UK state pension reform

Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension reform

Originally Posted by dunroving
OK, I found out there is a 6-year limit, but there's also a statement that there are exceptions to the 6-year limit rule - but it's not clear what these are.

It seems that if the rules change (so 35 years are needed instead of 30), and if at the time of being eligible to pay additional voluntary NIC's you would have done if you'd known the rules would change, that should be an exception. But I'm not holding my breath.

£689 (the cost of the additional 5 years' NICs) does seem like a great deal to get the additional £1,000+ per year pension you'd get ... seems almost too good to be true. In fact any voluntary NICs payments seem that way - £137.80 for each year, that brings you an additional £223 a year pension.

"Reform" sounds such a positive word, whereas all it means, literally, is change the shape of something.
Had to laugh at your last line The organisation I work for did a huge restructure a couple of years ago except it apparantly wasn't a restructure, it was a 'realignment'. I'm sure that made all the realigned people feel much better about being booted out the door.

Back on topic, this pension thing does my head in. Bill and I didn't even think about him being eligible for a pension when we move to the UK (Bill, husband, will be 65 in 2014, UK citizen, emigrated to Oz when he was 40) - but some advice when I first joined the forum led us to have a look. We've done the online calculation thing and have sent a form to the relevent dept. in the UK (forget what it's called now). Although he only worked for 25 years (15 - 40 years of age), apparantly he qualifies for a good percentage of a full, basic State pension (something like 90 quid a week I think). I'll believe it when I see it, especially with all the 'reform' going on! Would be very handy though.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The really nasty "Reform" was when they scrapped SERPS ! My advice to all and sundry is to check out their individual position and make sure they are paid up ! Remember that there are RECIPROCAL arrangements with some countries and you can use contributions from their system to comine with your NICs to get a SRP !!!
Old Jan 20th 2013, 3:53 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
The really nasty "Reform" was when they scrapped SERPS ! My advice to all and sundry is to check out their individual position and make sure they are paid up ! Remember that there are RECIPROCAL arrangements with some countries and you can use contributions from their system to comine with your NICs to get a SRP !!!
I know I'm woefully ignorant scot, but what's SERPS?
Old Jan 20th 2013, 4:01 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Back on topic, this pension thing does my head in. Bill and I didn't even think about him being eligible for a pension when we move to the UK (Bill, husband, will be 65 in 2014, UK citizen, emigrated to Oz when he was 40) - but some advice when I first joined the forum led us to have a look. We've done the online calculation thing and have sent a form to the relevent dept. in the UK (forget what it's called now). Although he only worked for 25 years (15 - 40 years of age), apparantly he qualifies for a good percentage of a full, basic State pension (something like 90 quid a week I think). I'll believe it when I see it, especially with all the 'reform' going on! Would be very handy though.
Is he still working? He sounds like a good candidate for paying arrears of NIC to bring his record up from 25 to the full 30 years. If he is currently in employment still, he should be eligible for paying arrears of Class 2 NIC.. You can pay up to six years of arrears but it sounds like he only needs five years. So a one time payment of just a few hundred pounds will permanently increase the OAP he will receive at age 65. (And no need for scepticism; he is entitled to his pension and he'll receive it foe life!)
Old Jan 20th 2013, 4:08 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by robin1234
Is he still working? He sounds like a good candidate for paying arrears of NIC to bring his record up from 25 to the full 30 years. If he is currently in employment still, he should be eligible for paying arrears of Class 2 NIC.. You can pay up to six years of arrears but it sounds like he only needs five years. So a one time payment of just a few hundred pounds will permanently increase the OAP he will receive at age 65. (And no need for scepticism; he is entitled to his pension and he'll receive it foe life!)
Thanks Robin. Bill worked from the time he arrived in Australia until just a few months ago - he was on the tools on offshore oil and gas rigs and it just got too hard - as he says, it's a young man's game So no, he's not working at the moment and if I have my way he won't again, he's done enough. Guess that disqualifies him from paying Class 2, but honestly, we'll be happy with an extra 90 quid or so. Sorry about the scepticism - I think it's inbred in Aussies
Old Jan 20th 2013, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
What a wonderful lady she was! - You forgot to mention the Negative equity - how many people was who lost their homes? Only one group of folks came off good from her schemes.
Ask any ex-miner or ex- steel worker - see if they thought she did good. Should have been hung for destroying our production base, in my opinion.
P.S. Never drive to the Hospital - always use a free bus pass.
And the locked out print workers from the daily newspapers in the 1980's
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:21 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The really nasty "Reform" was when they scrapped SERPS ! My advice to all and sundry is to check out their individual position and make sure they are paid up
If with SERPS or the second state pension you'd have got more than 144GBP a week the reforms are bad for you. But if your NICs are mostly voluntary Class 2 the reform is great as your pension goes from 107GBP a week to 144GBP.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 7:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
OK,
£689 (the cost of the additional 5 years' NICs) does seem like a great deal to get the additional £1,000+ per year pension you'd get ... seems almost too good to be true. In fact any voluntary NICs payments seem that way - £137.80 for each year, that brings you an additional £223 a year pension.
If one qualifies for class 2.

Class 3's quite a bit more. Over £13 right now. £3380 for 5 years if I'm not mistaken.
Old Jan 20th 2013, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

SERPS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_E...Pension_Scheme
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:15 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I can't figure out if I can add my US years to my UK pension once we move there, I have 12 or 13 years here and am eligible for a pension of $4 a month or some such ridiculous amount, but adding it to the UK one might boost my years somewhat.
I have my financial advisor Ds on the case to get some back payments made for me, then I hope I can add my US years and work to add more.
I think it was April 5th was cut off to pay 2006/07 so I need to get that years done and maybe a few more while I'm at it. till I'm caught up.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:34 am
Concierge

Thanks scot. Bill worked on the Liverpool docks for a couple of years, and a few years after he moved to Australia he was 'contracted out' of some kind of employer based pension arrangement. I think he got around 1,000 quid.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Received a response from the future pension center's overseas team.

You can contact HM Revenue & Customs at the address below, they will advise of any shortfall years and the rate of voluntary National Insurance contributions you can pay to increase your basic State Pension.

HM Revenue & Customs
International Caseworker
National Insurance Contributions Office
Benton Park View
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

Telephone number: 0044 191 203 7010
E-mail: [email protected]
Old Jan 21st 2013, 12:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool

You can contact HM Revenue & Customs at the address below, they will advise of any shortfall years and the rate of voluntary National Insurance contributions you can pay to increase your basic State Pension.

HM Revenue & Customs
International Caseworker
Benton Park View
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

- and for those who are already back in the UK, this information can also be obtained by completing an online form.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool

HM Revenue & Customs
International Caseworker
Benton Park View
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

We are waiting on a reply for my pensions forecast to see how few years I really do have paid up.
Old Jan 21st 2013, 2:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We are waiting on a reply for my pensions forecast to see how few years I really do have paid up.
When I last got one, I was quite pleasantly surprised. I spent 4 years at college and assumed that wouldn't count, but I worked part-time (summer, weekends, etc.). Other years also seemed to count that I didn't expect to. I guess as long as you earn above the minmum in a given year (even if only part-time, or for example the year I left the country I must have earned enough in just a few months), you have a year toward your pension.

Fingers crossed you get a pleasant surprise too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.