Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK state pension claim form problems

UK state pension claim form problems

Old Jan 22nd 2019, 6:49 am
Just Joined

gemini39 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK state pension claim form problems

Does anyone have experience of claiming their UK state pension from abroad? The 26 page form asks for so much details (past UK addresses, employers etc) which I can no longer remember. As I have a complete National Insurance record and was born in the UK I cannot see all the detail is necessary.
Any advice would be most helpful. Thank you
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 10:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK state pension claim form problems

Answer what you can Send with a covering letter.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scot47
Answer what you can Send with a covering letter.

Many thanks - I'll try that.
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Call them and see what they say. https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre
They are very helpful. I made my claim entirely by phone and never sent anything to them although, from other threads, that seems to have been unusual
Old Jan 22nd 2019, 1:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemini39
...As I have a complete National Insurance record and was born in the UK I cannot see all the detail is necessary....
Providing they agree you do have a complete record then there will be no problem. Perhaps you have already established this with a pension forecast. But you wouldn't be the first person to expect one thing and discover something else.

Just as an example, say there's a ten year period where they don't have any record of your NI. There could be any number of reasons - computer error, data input incorrectly, a dodgy employer deducting your NI but not paying it over, self employment and low income exemption that wasn't applied for or was applied for but somehow didn't get recorded....

In the event of such an issue, by answering the 'unnecessary' questions they may already have enough information to resolve any problems arising.

Old Jan 23rd 2019, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

I paid voluntary Class 3 NI contributions to ensure I had a 100% contribution record, and the Government Gateway website, which I access to deal with my UK tax, confirms that my full record is recorded. But you have made a very good point.
Old Jan 23rd 2019, 2:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gemini39
I paid voluntary Class 3 NI contributions to ensure I had a 100% contribution record, and the Government Gateway website, which I access to deal with my UK tax, confirms that my full record is recorded. But you have made a very good point.
Working for them for over 30 years does that.

Old Jan 24th 2019, 6:52 am
Just Joined

If a single week's NI contribution is missed in a year, that year will not be a full year for NI purposes. This is a forum for British expats and people who travel may well miss contributions.