Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Single Tier State Pension

Wikiposts

UK Single Tier State Pension

Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:02 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Single Tier State Pension

Listening to this on 5Live just now and it seemed to suggest that you'll need 35 years contributions to get the new pension?
Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:05 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Single Tier State Pension

and this: -

"and anyone who has not paid NI for 10 years will not qualify"

Old Jan 14th 2013, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

classicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond reputeclassicmds has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there a Social Security agreement which counts SS payments in US as fulfilling yearly contribution requirements?

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agr...phlets/uk.html
Old Jan 14th 2013, 4:16 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sheepdip
Listening to this on 5Live just now and it seemed to suggest that you'll need 35 years contributions to get the new pension?
Typical, just when I get to 30 years.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to beholdbromleygirl is a splendid one to behold

You need at least 10 years in the US to get any kind of state pension in the US
Old Jan 14th 2013, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that was always the case, although I've seen people on BE who say they have got a UK pension with less than that.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:23 am
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I thought that was always the case, although I've seen people on BE who say they have got a UK pension with less than that.
I took that to mean if your last payment was more than 10 years ago from your retirement date then you wouldn't now qualify.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I took that to mean if your last payment was more than 10 years ago from your retirement date then you wouldn't now qualify.
I think it's years of contributions - I'm so clueless on pensions though.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:10 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The current UK rule is 10 years contribution for a minimum pension, which is I believe one third of the full pension. Again current is 30 years for the full pension, any years in between are pro rated. It doesn't matter how long ago you made the last payment.
Old Jan 14th 2013, 12:48 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Glad this thread was started, I've just realized I should have had the forms to claim my pension last month.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

nearpost1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lansbury
The current UK rule is 10 years contribution for a minimum pension, which is I believe one third of the full pension. Again current is 30 years for the full pension, any years in between are pro rated. It doesn't matter how long ago you made the last payment.
Now they are saying the minimum will be seven years up to ten years, but I don't know how they decide on who may join in with only seven years contributions before leaving the uk, and who is required to have made ten years of contributions.

While the new 35 year requirement seems like moving the goalposts, it is based on the new higher pension, i.e. 30/35ths will pay you more than 30/30ths under the present £107 payout. So you are still ahead because the new pension is £144, not £107.

The people who may feel frustrated are those retiring before 2016, as they will be stuck with the current £107 pension, which of course only requires 30 years or units.

Last edited by nearpost1; Mar 25th 2013 at 11:17 am.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:14 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

They are changing it to 35 years for a full pension.
I'm making back payments and even then paying all the way to retirement will give me 30 years. So I'm screwed.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
They are changing it to 35 years for a full pension.
I'm making back payments and even then paying all the way to retirement will give me 30 years. So I'm screwed.
Not so, you will receive 30/35ths of £144, about £122, that is better than 30/30ths of £107, which of course is £107.

People retiring before 2016 will be stuck with existing plan. They will only need 30 units, but only get £107
Old Mar 25th 2013, 11:59 am
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nearpost1
Not so, you will receive 30/35ths of £144, about £122, that is better than 30/30ths of £107, which of course is £107.

People retiring before 2016 will be stuck with existing plan. They will only need 30 units, but only get £107
And the second state pension as well, which is woefully difficult to calculate and most people don't qualify for much as the majority of pension schemes "contract-out" of it, but it certainly isn't as simple as just £107 p.w., hence the need for change. Second state pension will of course cease to exist from 2016.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BTJ
And the second state pension as well, which is woefully difficult to calculate and most people don't qualify for much as the majority of pension schemes "contract-out" of it, but it certainly isn't as simple as just £107 p.w., hence the need for change. Second state pension will of course cease to exist from 2016.
Yes, thanks for that info, it only meant about £3.00 a week to me, so I didn't think about it.

As I understand it, people with a decent second state pension, will be granted the greater of the two payouts, their existing forecasted payout, or the new single tier payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.