Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is the UK the same as it used to be?

Wikiposts

Is the UK the same as it used to be?

Old Jul 27th 2010, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all
Default Re: Is the UK the same as it used to be?

If you live in a place and the change is gradual you hardly notice it and you live with the change. To not settle in a new country..then return to be unable re-adjust to the UK...what then? Are you stuck in limbo? Is this where the ping-pongers come from?
Old Jul 27th 2010, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

bobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
I've been in the US (FL) for three years now, and am in the process of trying to "make things happen" over here so I can move back...I miss everything about the UK - culture, the weather (yes, the seasons); Christmas, pubs, country side, history, etc., etc.

Anyway, I follow the news and current affairs in the UK and it seems as if the country has changed since my residence there just three years ago. What I mean is, I'm always hearing about increased crime, guns, immigrant issues etc.

Question for those who've moved back recently - what are your thoughts? Is the UK the same country you thought you were moving back to?
probably after only 3 years away - not so much really. the economy is still pretty dire, not a lot of good jobs about. i had been gone for 15 years and the changes were massive. i dont like the UK and would like to leave.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 10:20 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

The secret is not to listen or read the sensationalized news..that will drive you to despair.

The UK media loves to give the worst news possible...and then people have something to moan about. Steer clear of those that moan and groan about everything - "Oh the economy, oh thereĀ“s no jobs...moan moan.." Rubbish .Life it what you make it and you need to be positive. Negative people do not get far in life...

I recently went back for a visit and LOVED IT. To me the positives far outweigh the negatives.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the UK isn't the same as it was 3 years ago - or 20+ in my case -but that does not mean it has changed for the worse - as some newspapers would have us believe. The US is certainly not the same place today as it was when I first came here in 1989 - in some cases for the better in some for the worse - but nothing stays the same forever.

I have visited the UK many times in the past 20 years and I see changes and hear them about them from my family and friends and but nothing they say makes me want to burn my UK passport - they are in the main part positive about the UK but don't try to sugar coat the negatives they may have noted - which aren't that many I must say.

I have finally had my fill of the US and am preparing to return home to the West Midlands/Staffordshire area as soon as I have sold my apartment and I can't wait. Yes there will be a period of getting settled and I'll miss fresh baked bagels with cream cheese ( love NY for that) but I am so ready for that step.
Old Jul 27th 2010, 1:52 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorac05
Of course the UK isn't the same as it was 3 years ago - or 20+ in my case -but that does not mean it has changed for the worse - as some newspapers would have us believe. The US is certainly not the same place today as it was when I first came here in 1989 - in some cases for the better in some for the worse - but nothing stays the same forever.

I have visited the UK many times in the past 20 years and I see changes and hear them about them from my family and friends and but nothing they say makes me want to burn my UK passport - they are in the main part positive about the UK but don't try to sugar coat the negatives they may have noted - which aren't that many I must say.

I have finally had my fill of the US and am preparing to return home to the West Midlands/Staffordshire area as soon as I have sold my apartment and I can't wait. Yes there will be a period of getting settled and I'll miss fresh baked bagels with cream cheese ( love NY for that) but I am so ready for that step.
Nice to hear Lorca. When we went home a couple of summers ago, we had an amazing time. In fact every visit has been great and we always could easily have stayed and been happy about that. We have a real appreciation for so much the UK has to offer and a good sense of humour about the weather and the traffic (neither which I found that bad).

Lots of luck selling your apartment and getting on with your move back. Best wishes.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05

I can relate to you there - some of my cousins tell me how bad the UK is right now blah blah blah - and that I'm "better off where I am.." The job market is dire in Florida I was in the staffing business here, so I know first hand!

However, I have had my fill of Florida, and can't wait to get back. It would be nice to be able to spend sometime outdoors in summer - something that I can't do here as the heat is unbearable!! Just wish my house would sell!!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
I moved back to the UK from Australia a few years ago and am now about to head back in the other direction!

I spent 5 years out side the UK and in that time I do not think it changed all that much. However since I would say late 2008 when the banking crisis hit hard and the MP's were found fiddling their expenses the mood of the UK has changed some what.

I would compare the current state of the UK to that of the early 1980's, there is a real sense that in the Autumn these coalition austerity cuts are going to really start hitting home and hit hard, especially in the public sector.

London and the South East will always lead the way and show positive growth even in times of difficulty. I am from North Yorkshire and I live in a small market town and the majority of the shops on the high street are now boarded up, the shops that are open are either betting shops or charity shops.

The local council started building some big new council offices near the town centre in early 2008. They got half way when in Autumn 2008 the building company went under and the builders walked off site. It has been left an over grown mess and will likely remain that way for a long time yet. Towns in the North of England are littered with projects that failed in late 2008 like this.

The play ground where I take my two year old son has become vandalised to the point where it is just about unusable (the swings have been taken for example). I live in a pretty good area, it is not an area where you would expect this kind of thing. The council say they haven't the funds to fix it up and will have to remain as it is for another year at least.

In rural areas what you will notice the most is either the closure of local village pubs (the small village I am originally from lost it's pub in 2007) due to supermarket alcohol sales or the take over of village pubs by large pub chains. What you see more and more now is pubs that have exactly the same menus and exactly the same range of beer.

The weather these last few years have really gone down hill as well, summers 2007, 2008 and 2009 were all wash out summers with bad flooding, 2010 has been ok so far, much better than the last 3 ! After so many mild winters in the 90's and 00' the winters seem to be getting colder again as well, 08/09 and 09/10 both had plenty of snow, and being the UK we cannot cope with it. Snow is fantastic for a day or two but when you have to get to work snow in the UK is a total nightmare. A slight dusting in the South East is treated like a blizzard, even in Yorkshire public transport grinds to a halt.

I wouldn't say crime levels are any worse, actually there was a recent report saying crime was falling.

Over all it is not as good as between 1997 - 2008, they were boom years, things are much more uncertain now and you can feel that.
We live in a very nice area...our families do as well...playgrounds are nice areas to play in our suburbs....children are nice and friendly etc and no damamge to any sporting facilities in the area....it all depends on where you live etc....but then again I suppose not...we lived in a VERY nice area in Perth WA and opposite a park etc...and let me tell you we had more trouble living opposite the parks there than anything we have seen here....is life pot luck about what happens to you? not sure but I will say....you find a decent area and for the main you usually have decent people etc....and that happens in every country around the world...this is not a UK based problem....I find people sometimes blame things like and use this as a reason why they want to move....is it easier to jump on a plane and think these problems dissapear at the airport, no....a lot of expense,heartache can entail if you think hey presto life is going to be perfect...I wish anyone all the best for their new lives wherever they go....but go with a realistic view .........
Old Jul 28th 2010, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
We live in a very nice area...our families do as well...playgrounds are nice areas to play in our suburbs....children are nice and friendly etc and no damamge to any sporting facilities in the area....it all depends on where you live etc....but then again I suppose not...we lived in a VERY nice area in Perth WA and opposite a park etc...and let me tell you we had more trouble living opposite the parks there than anything we have seen here....is life pot luck about what happens to you? not sure but I will say....you find a decent area and for the main you usually have decent people etc....and that happens in every country around the world...this is not a UK based problem....I find people sometimes blame things like and use this as a reason why they want to move....is it easier to jump on a plane and think these problems dissapear at the airport, no....a lot of expense,heartache can entail if you think hey presto life is going to be perfect...I wish anyone all the best for their new lives wherever they go....but go with a realistic view .........
I think I better stop reading the Daily Mail every morning!!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:36 am
Banned

exvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond reputeexvj has a reputation beyond repute

I left in 2007. It was the wettest summer since the ice age and we lived in rented rabbit hutch at Darwen near Burnley in Lancashire. We had to live there as it's where my USC wife got a job. My owned house was near Leeds and we left it empty.

It was at truly horrible experience and I feel scarred by it

Global warming seems set to make it a wetter, windier place. I was reading about the Victorians skating on Ilkley tarn and I remember walking on the ice on Yeadon tarn. It doesn't do that nowadays. No blue skies and scarves and ice.

I think the weather is the main problem for me. I can go and live in an area where I am not a minority ethnic person so I have that covered; and I am retired so no need to work - but the sheer dreariness of the climate is something I am not sure I can cope with now that I have lived with 8 inches rain pa and 300 days blue skies and almost free electricity from the hydro dams..

It's a 2 pipe problem....I have heard others say it's like they don't belong anywhere any more...
Old Jul 30th 2010, 7:50 pm
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

This is John.

As a married 60 yr old working male reasonably happy with my life in a prosperous area of USA for 18yrs and back in England for 7 weeks or so, my comments are this;
In the first two weeks it felt good to be back in familiar surroundings.
Now I see a over-crowded mediocre culture, slovenly, rude and disagreeable population, poor customer service, shoddy goods, indifferent workmanship. The weather is not a problem, the countryside is as wonderful as it ever was, prices are not too bad, we have qualified for our free-bus-pass and the program has helped improve public bus services because of demand.
I am happy to be 'home', I dislike what I find in the people.
We did not expect to find Eden, we knew it would be difficult to re-settle here knowing that we have changed.
I would not want to endure a return to the USA, it was hard enough one way. I don't belong here.
I cannot imagine how I will feel in 1 yrs time from now.

Last edited by J.J; Jul 30th 2010 at 8:01 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by J.J
This is John.

As a married 60 yr old working male reasonably happy with my life in a prosperous area of USA for 18yrs and back in England for 7 weeks or so, my comments are this;
Now I see a over-crowded mediocre culture, slovenly, rude and disagreeable population, poor customer service, shoddy goods, indifferent workmanship. The weather is not a problem, the countryside is as wonderful as it ever was, prices are not too bad, we have qualified for our free-bus-pass and the program has helped improve public bus services because of demand.
We did not expect to find Eden, we knew it would be difficult to re-settle here knowing that we have changed.
I would not want to endure a return to the USA, it was hard enough one way. I don't belong here.
That's a pretty shrewd observation John after only being back a short while.
You are quite right,the British people have definitely lost their way that's for sure.
Rabid selfishness and materialism abounds. I blame the all American way partly for this which has been welcomed with open arms over here. Our 'bright' future,the yoof and their 'whatever' urban speak. The 'I want it now' stick it on the never never but can't be arsed to actually go out and earn it. Apparently they are entitled to it and expect the state and poor old Joe taxpayer to cover it,heaven forbid they should get a job !! Like the single unemployed 'mothers' who think they are entitled to have a never ending stream of kids to fund their lifestyles.
The country is going down the swannie at a rate of knots. Can't wait to get to retirement and get the hell out.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 12:21 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
This is John.

Originally Posted by Droidling
That's a pretty shrewd observation John after only being back a short while.
You are quite right,the British people have definitely lost their way that's for sure.
Rabid selfishness and materialism abounds. I blame the all American way partly for this which has been welcomed with open arms over here. Our 'bright' future,the yoof and their 'whatever' urban speak. The 'I want it now' stick it on the never never but can't be arsed to actually go out and earn it. Apparently they are entitled to it and expect the state and poor old Joe taxpayer to cover it,heaven forbid they should get a job !! Like the single unemployed 'mothers' who think they are entitled to have a never ending stream of kids to fund their lifestyles.
The country is going down the swannie at a rate of knots. Can't wait to get to retirement and get the hell out.
I've lived in the US for 20 years and go back to the UK for holidays - we just got back from a three-week trip to Cambridge, Torquay and Burgess Hill in Sussex.

I agree about the obnoxious behavior of some young people. I almost got into fights with a couple of people on the tube they were so mean.. getting back to NYC & New Jersey, I was struck how courteous and polite EVERYONE was, even at rush hour on the LIRR and the New Jersey Transit Authority trains. However, I'd still rather live in England.

I'm 60 years old (well, I will be in a week's time) ... realistically, the dominant factor in the UK in the second half of the twentieth century was the recovery from the second world war. When I was growing up, folks were modest in their expectations, hard-working, disciplined, and community-minded as a result of the war. Obviously since the 1980s that culture has receded into the past. Today's selfish, "entitled" culture seems similar to what I've read about the 1890s and the 1930s. I'd rather not have another world war to set things right, though...
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by J.J
This is John.
Now I see a over-crowded mediocre culture, slovenly, rude and disagreeable population, poor customer service, shoddy goods, indifferent workmanship. <snip> I dislike what I find in the people.
I very much understand this. When we went back to the UK the first time - this is what hit me the hardest. It was all I went on about, must have drove my hubby nuts. It led to depression on my part because I let it get to me. But rather than see any good or enjoy what we had the potential of growing - I pushed for a move back.

So...we did endure a return back to Canada. And sadly looking at Canada without my rose coloured glasses that I wore in the UK....(to be fair I live in a city now) I found mediocre culture, slovenly, rude and disagreeable population, poor customer service, shoddy goods, indifferent workmanship!
For example:
The level of belligerence i hear from people if they do not get what they want. Sometimes it embarrasses me when i am out shopping and i hear them yelling at the store workers...I am not even involved. Out of the 7 different schools I have had to deal with since coming back only 2 of them have been any good. The bullying was so bad in the Oakville school my son was having full blown anxiety attacks walking to school. Our GP actually sent him to a heart specialist.
I think Chavs have come over here when i go on the public transit! One day riding a brampton bus I over heard a conversation about "hey mon iin't i see you last in an orange jumpsuit. " "ya mon i did i did ....sweeet i wanted to hook up ...blah blah so when did ya get out?...." My dad is restoring a church in Brampton and he routinely has to tell the hookers and their owners to take it else where. They keep selling it right on the Church yard!
I have had customer service nightmares here...Rogers, bell, take your pick. I had good service in both countries and bad service in both. I find in Canada they are topically friendly in customer service ...but if you have to actually have them solve anything ...the niceties go away fast!
There is an abundance of dollar store crap everywhere. Because it only lasts a short time you find it everywhere discarded and filling landfills - most young ones can't be bothered to actually hit the garbage can (some adults too)
On the workmanship...well i think that happens everywhere. My Dad has been in Canada since 1976, he is a Canadian Yorkshire man (that best describes him lol) but he is a top of the game Stone mason, he does restoration work on very old buildings. He has redone the ROM and the Chum building here in Toronto as well as a lot of churches. Most of the jobs the company he works for, get the jobs - because he is the foreman/lead stone mason. He is always requested because the quality of his work. You can never tell where the old brick/stones meet the new with his work. But none of the other brick layer/stone masons get the same kudos with in that same company. He runs his sites with an iron hand and the labours mix everything to his specs. My hubby is a Canadian and he gets the same thing but in his field - Network design and security. We have friends in the UK who are professional people in different occupations and they take great pride in doing the job correct and the best that it can be. There is crap workmanship here in Canada - it just depends on the people involved. Halfed assery is a universal disease!

This is just what this silly old lady sees/went thru, now I can accurately judge both places - I think. I want to move back to the UK again - not for the people or the chav's or the crap. But for we can make for ourselves there. I suppose I am a selfish person. I know I cannot change the world - but I can make my family have a good life and enjoy the time we have together. We had better vacations that suited us over in the UK (we are not campers or outdoorsy people) The schooling is good - I had thought the bullying was terrible there....but in hindsight they had a good control on it. I am scared - it would be a final leap this time.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the interesting posts and insight to life in the UK,
JJ come over to the 50s 60s thread and let everyone know how you are I was only mentioning you earlier today! I am sorry things are not as wonderful as you hoped........ but it is early yet for you, only been what 6 weeks...... please come over and let them know how you are doing........

Good luck to everyone.
Old Jul 31st 2010, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

I started this thread to get an insight into how life would be like now in the UK - especially from those who've made the transition from wherever in the world they moved to. I really do appreciate the comments thus far.

Sitting here in Florida with a heat index of over 100f and being stuck indoors under the safety of the air conditioning for the past and forthcoming months, I'd do anything to go back and spend a weekend in Snowdonia with the wind (and probably rain) blowing through my hair...

In reference to the "Yoof" of England today - The Chavs - they do exist everywhere - only under different names. We live in a beautiful subdivison / neighborhood in FL - but drive half a mile down the road, you slowly start approaching the oh so typical "Red Neck" truck drivers, who drive up your backside whilst polluting the environment at the same time - and they look at you as if you are an alien because you're using your indicators on your car to prewarn them of your next move. The journey will then take you to one of the strip malls (which I loathe) as you need to do your weekly shop - there you'll be greeted with pretty much the same mixed in with the "normal" people of the city - give me Sainsburys / Tesco anyday. Although the "Chavs" here don't wear the fake burberry or the extra white trainers as it's too hot - they do exist, only under a different subculture of the land. And no, we don't live in a bad part of town - Florida seems to be the Red Neck haven of the USA!

Anyway, I've had my moan - back to watching On The Buses on ITV as I need a laugh

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.