Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is the UK the same as it used to be?

Wikiposts

Is the UK the same as it used to be?

Old Jul 26th 2010, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is the UK the same as it used to be?

I've been in the US (FL) for three years now, and am in the process of trying to "make things happen" over here so I can move back...I miss everything about the UK - culture, the weather (yes, the seasons); Christmas, pubs, country side, history, etc., etc.

Anyway, I follow the news and current affairs in the UK and it seems as if the country has changed since my residence there just three years ago. What I mean is, I'm always hearing about increased crime, guns, immigrant issues etc.

Question for those who've moved back recently - what are your thoughts? Is the UK the same country you thought you were moving back to?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:04 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the UK the same as it used to be?

It seems to me that three years is a very short time for any country to change completely. But what has changed is your perspective; when you lived in the UK every day, you could ignore (or see in a true perspective) overblown news stories about how the country has gone to the dogs. You should go to the UK on holiday & see for yourself..

I've been away from England for 20 years, but return for holidays fairly frequently. It has changed quite a lot in that time (in many ways for the better) and I am aware of some negative changes such as more common disrespectful & antisocial behaviour in public. When planning to relocate, I would always be quite discriminating about the town & neighborhood I'm going to move to. You obviously want to try to avoid the vomit on the doorstep syndrome.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

I moved back to the UK from Australia a few years ago and am now about to head back in the other direction!

I spent 5 years out side the UK and in that time I do not think it changed all that much. However since I would say late 2008 when the banking crisis hit hard and the MP's were found fiddling their expenses the mood of the UK has changed some what.

I would compare the current state of the UK to that of the early 1980's, there is a real sense that in the Autumn these coalition austerity cuts are going to really start hitting home and hit hard, especially in the public sector.

London and the South East will always lead the way and show positive growth even in times of difficulty. I am from North Yorkshire and I live in a small market town and the majority of the shops on the high street are now boarded up, the shops that are open are either betting shops or charity shops.

The local council started building some big new council offices near the town centre in early 2008. They got half way when in Autumn 2008 the building company went under and the builders walked off site. It has been left an over grown mess and will likely remain that way for a long time yet. Towns in the North of England are littered with projects that failed in late 2008 like this.

The play ground where I take my two year old son has become vandalised to the point where it is just about unusable (the swings have been taken for example). I live in a pretty good area, it is not an area where you would expect this kind of thing. The council say they haven't the funds to fix it up and will have to remain as it is for another year at least.

In rural areas what you will notice the most is either the closure of local village pubs (the small village I am originally from lost it's pub in 2007) due to supermarket alcohol sales or the take over of village pubs by large pub chains. What you see more and more now is pubs that have exactly the same menus and exactly the same range of beer.

The weather these last few years have really gone down hill as well, summers 2007, 2008 and 2009 were all wash out summers with bad flooding, 2010 has been ok so far, much better than the last 3 ! After so many mild winters in the 90's and 00' the winters seem to be getting colder again as well, 08/09 and 09/10 both had plenty of snow, and being the UK we cannot cope with it. Snow is fantastic for a day or two but when you have to get to work snow in the UK is a total nightmare. A slight dusting in the South East is treated like a blizzard, even in Yorkshire public transport grinds to a halt.

I wouldn't say crime levels are any worse, actually there was a recent report saying crime was falling.

Over all it is not as good as between 1997 - 2008, they were boom years, things are much more uncertain now and you can feel that.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
It seems to me that three years is a very short time for any country to change completely. But what has changed is your perspective; when you lived in the UK every day, you could ignore (or see in a true perspective) overblown news stories about how the country has gone to the dogs. You should go to the UK on holiday & see for yourself..

I've been away from England for 20 years, but return for holidays fairly frequently. It has changed quite a lot in that time (in many ways for the better) and I am aware of some negative changes such as more common disrespectful & antisocial behaviour in public. When planning to relocate, I would always be quite discriminating about the town & neighborhood I'm going to move to. You obviously want to try to avoid the vomit on the doorstep syndrome.
I did actually go on holiday to the UK in December - but being there for two weeks is not very much time spent to establish the current affairs. Also, the economy has changed quite a bit in the past three years...

The post was purely to invite discussion on feedback from people who have moved back in order to get their perspective on life in the UK.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jon77
I moved back to the UK from Australia a few years ago and am now about to head back in the other direction!

I spent 5 years out side the UK and in that time I do not think it changed all that much. However since I would say late 2008 when the banking crisis hit hard and the MP's were found fiddling their expenses the mood of the UK has changed some what.

I would compare the current state of the UK to that of the early 1980's, there is a real sense that in the Autumn these coalition austerity cuts are going to really start hitting home and hit hard, especially in the public sector.

London and the South East will always lead the way and show positive growth even in times of difficulty. I am from North Yorkshire and I live in a small market town and the majority of the shops on the high street are now boarded up, the shops that are open are either betting shops or charity shops.

The local council started building some big new council offices near the town centre in early 2008. They got half way when in Autumn 2008 the building company went under and the builders walked off site. It has been left an over grown mess and will likely remain that way for a long time yet. Towns in the North of England are littered with projects that failed in late 2008 like this.

The play ground where I take my two year old son has become vandalised to the point where it is just about unusable (the swings have been taken for example). I live in a pretty good area, it is not an area where you would expect this kind of thing. The council say they haven't the funds to fix it up and will have to remain as it is for another year at least.

In rural areas what you will notice the most is either the closure of local village pubs (the small village I am originally from lost it's pub in 2007) due to supermarket alcohol sales or the take over of village pubs by large pub chains. What you see more and more now is pubs that have exactly the same menus and exactly the same range of beer.

The weather these last few years have really gone down hill as well, summers 2007, 2008 and 2009 were all wash out summers with bad flooding, 2010 has been ok so far, much better than the last 3 ! After so many mild winters in the 90's and 00' the winters seem to be getting colder again as well, 08/09 and 09/10 both had plenty of snow, and being the UK we cannot cope with it. Snow is fantastic for a day or two but when you have to get to work snow in the UK is a total nightmare. A slight dusting in the South East is treated like a blizzard, even in Yorkshire public transport grinds to a halt.

I wouldn't say crime levels are any worse, actually there was a recent report saying crime was falling.

Over all it is not as good as between 1997 - 2008, they were boom years, things are much more uncertain now and you can feel that.
Thanks for your comments - when I visited last year, I noted that quiet a few of the local pubs I remembered fondly had been boarded up too - such a shame. Regarding the construction industry - I'd read reports about it experiencing it's fastest increase since the 60's?
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:47 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

After 3 years you'd surely fall back into life in no time I did after being in California for 7 years when I moved back the first time. Now after about 17 more in CA I think I'd see the differences more.
Everywhere changes, I notice it here in our small town, more shops are built and some change hands, other close. Friends come and go. It's the same everywhere.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:51 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Not much about a country will change in three years, but your old friends will certainly have moved on with their lives in that times, so it wont be exactly the same to step back into.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the comments so far!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:15 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with earlier comments that in 3 years there haven't been huge changes culturally, but I don't know about the next year or two. We could be looking at major economic problems (similar to 70s and 80s as was also mentioned).

What is just as important, maybe more so, is how much you have changed in your 3 years away. You might be surprised when you come back at how differently you view the UK.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:18 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
Thanks for your comments - when I visited last year, I noted that quiet a few of the local pubs I remembered fondly had been boarded up too - such a shame. Regarding the construction industry - I'd read reports about it experiencing it's fastest increase since the 60's?
I saw this too. The most extreme example though - my wife & I were going to stay with my sister in Burgess Hill in Sussex last weekend. She wasn't home when we arrived, so we decided to pay a visit to her local pub, the Junction. It wasn't boarded up - it was a heap of bricks and charred timbers. My sister told me later that the owners had applied for planning permission to demolish the pub and build a block of flats. Planning permission was denied & the pub burned down shortly afterwards...
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

What is just as important, maybe more so, is how much you have changed in your 3 years away. You might be surprised when you come back at how differently you view the UK.[/QUOTE]

That is very true. I think while I was living in the UK I took everything around me for granted - the history, culture, food etc. However, I always missed the UK as it was my home. Having lived in the US since, I have learnt to appreciate those things so much more as I'm not surrounded by them here.

So although I am pining to go back home because I don't want to be in the US anymore, I am glad to have had this opportunity as it's made me appreciate my home country more than I did when I lived there.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by robin1234
I saw this too. The most extreme example though - my wife & I were going to stay with my sister in Burgess Hill in Sussex last weekend. She wasn't home when we arrived, so we decided to pay a visit to her local pub, the Junction. It wasn't boarded up - it was a heap of bricks and charred timbers. My sister told me later that the owners had applied for planning permission to demolish the pub and build a block of flats. Planning permission was denied & the pub burned down shortly afterwards...
That is just so sad. The old english pub is part of our history and tradition.
Old Jul 26th 2010, 3:39 am
Heading for Poppyland

That is just so sad. The old english pub is part of our history and tradition.
I agree, and I think that pubs have changed very significantly over the 40 or so years that I've been visiting them. On the plus side, brewers, publicans & managers have finally (after nearly 40 years of CAMRA's existence) recognized that a significant proportion of drinkers want good quality cask-conditioned beer. So, you can now visit almost any pub and get a resident and maybe a couple of visiting well-kept, cask-conditioned beers.

On the other hand, I find pubs much less quirky and distinctive than they were years ago. In some ways I liked when at least some pubs ONLY served beer from the brewery to which they were tied. And they filled your existing glass rather than gave you a fresh glass. And you asked for half a pint, handed them a pint glass, and they drew you three-quarters of a pint!!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

On the other hand, I find pubs much less quirky and distinctive than they were years ago. In some ways I liked when at least some pubs ONLY served beer from the brewery to which they were tied. And they filled your existing glass rather than gave you a fresh glass. And you asked for half a pint, handed them a pint glass, and they drew you three-quarters of a pint!![/QUOTE]

Aaah...the good old days!
Old Jul 26th 2010, 5:40 am
Heading for Poppyland

Aaah...the good old days!
Tell me about it!

I also used to like paying less in the public bar than they were paying in the saloon bar or the snug.

And, they didn't need a computerized till to tell them how much to charge you, or what change to give.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.