British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   UK phone service/broadband providers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/uk-phone-service-broadband-providers-388507/)

Lizzi Aug 3rd 2006 3:51 pm

UK phone service/broadband providers

Wondered if anyone could help me here - I need a phone service and broadband connection for my house in the UK, does anyone have any recommendations? I would like cheap calls to the US and Germany without all the phone card palaver I have here. Is good old BT the best answer?

Many thanks.

TrishP Aug 3rd 2006 4:01 pm

Re: UK phone service/broadband providers

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Wondered if anyone could help me here - I need a phone service and broadband connection for my house in the UK, does anyone have any recommendations? I would like cheap calls to the US and Germany without all the phone card palaver I have here. Is good old BT the best answer?

Many thanks.

Try Telewest or NTL for broadband/phone services. You can also get cheap calls abroad from the UK with telediscount.co.uk.

FlyergirlUK Aug 3rd 2006 4:05 pm

We plumped for BT for broadband and telephone and have no complaints.

Actually, a super-lovely lady at BT did her utmost to move the date forward for my broadband, (I had originally booked it for July but, due to a change of plans, needed it a month sooner) and got it all sorted for me without having to go back over to my parents' to use their internet. She was a gem! :)

banjo Aug 3rd 2006 5:01 pm

also have a look at Tiscali for broadband. They do a package which includes all your local and national calls for 'free.' This costs £19.99 a month and is pretty good.

BT now do this international option where you pay either £1 or £3 a month (can't remember exactly) and then you get calls at about 3p per min. Otherwise as someone else mentioned you could as easily (and more cheaply) use www.telediscount.co.uk or often even better is www.discountdial.co.uk

Lizzi Aug 3rd 2006 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
We plumped for BT for broadband and telephone and have no complaints.

Actually, a super-lovely lady at BT did her utmost to move the date forward for my broadband, (I had originally booked it for July but, due to a change of plans, needed it a month sooner) and got it all sorted for me without having to go back over to my parents' to use their internet. She was a gem! :)

Flyergirl I understand you need to get another phone for broadband calls, is the quality ok and can you be on the internet at the same time as making a call?

FlyergirlUK Aug 3rd 2006 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Lizzi
Flyergirl I understand you need to get another phone for broadband calls, is the quality ok and can you be on the internet at the same time as making a call?

We use the landline for regular calls not VOIP. The quality's perfect with both the line and the broadband and, yes, you can be online and make calls.

Dial-up prevents you from using the landline and the internet at the same time.