Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Nova closing down!!!!!!

UK Nova closing down!!!!!!

Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future
Default UK Nova closing down!!!!!!

Just went to my torrents and UK Nova have given a statement to all members saying they have been issued with a 'Cease and Desist' order by FACT. All torrents will removed within the next few hours.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nova closing down!!!!!!

I'm surprised they've lasted this long. I wonder what's going to happen with TheBox?
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

Aaaaarggghhhh. What now? It was su useful and easy to use site. I am in official mourning.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

That's annoying - I thought (well, desperately hoped) they might be able to slip under the radar what with their 'no DVD content' rule.

Bugger. I guess thebox is next.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Grr. No legitimate options to watch UK TV and still the FACT A$$Holes go after UKNova.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith S
Aaaaarggghhhh. What now? It was su useful and easy to use site. I am in official mourning.
Try thebox; http://thebox.bz/signup.php. Failing that, it may be time to look at Usenet, instead of torrents or get a VPN account to be able to access iPlayer and the ITV catch-up service.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:24 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Grrr. I've been on there for nearly 8 years now - I thought it was one of their April Fool's jokes with some serious date dissonance going on. I've got some brilliant old programmes from them in the past and I've always liked their "no commercial material" stance, but perhaps they've been caught out by material available on places like iTunes rather than DVDs?. The FACT statement seriously looks like "guilty until proven innocent", but as they say they aren't able to fight a court case.

I too wonder what will happen with The Box as they've always allowed commercial material.

VPNs are all very well, but aren't as convenient I'm then restricted to watching on my tv while the programme is live on the iPlayer, or 4OD or whatever.

I would happily pay an overseas tv license or fee for legitimately downloading the programmes at the same time as they are available in the UK. Do you know of any other business where the model is to prosecute and harass your customers instead of allowing them to do business with you?
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yellowroom
VPNs are all very well, but aren't as convenient I'm then restricted to watching on my tv while the programme is live on the iPlayer, or 4OD or whatever.
iPlayer has lots of archived material, as does the ITV player. http://eztv.it is another possible source.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I meant to say watching on my pc, not my TV. I like being able to download and watch on various gadgets including my appleTV. I've used eztv in the past, and I use thebox too, so it's not like we've been cut off completely.

I know in the grand scheme of things it's a relatively trivial thing, but - grrrrr.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Grrr. I've been on there for nearly 8 years now - I thought it was one of their April Fool's jokes with some serious date dissonance going on. I've got some brilliant old programmes from them in the past and I've always liked their "no commercial material" stance, but perhaps they've been caught out by material available on places like iTunes rather than DVDs?. The FACT statement seriously looks like "guilty until proven innocent", but as they say they aren't able to fight a court case.

I too wonder what will happen with The Box as they've always allowed commercial material.

I would happily pay an overseas tv license or fee for legitimately downloading the programmes at the same time as they are available in the UK. Do you know of any other business where the model is to prosecute and harass your customers instead of allowing them to do business with you?
+1
Old Aug 27th 2012, 2:56 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thebox is a bit shit, but at least they've finally got rid of the crap requirement to use out dated, old clients.

They've open sign up now though.

UKNova was good for the footie league show and rugby.

Anyway, as for the TV license thing, the beeb were trialing a international service, but at $10 a month, they missed the boat. Anyone willing to spend that money to access the beeb is already spending less than that on a VPN, to access all the other channels.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 3:13 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Not used UKNova in years. Every now and then I would make an account try to check in once a a month, do it for a few months forget, get account culled, repeat. Still matters as I guess TheBox is next on the list though I do most TV with Sick Beard these days and hopefully Newzbin2 will be Newzbin3 if they try to go after it again.
Old Aug 27th 2012, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Chaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really niceChaufeurse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Thebox is a bit shit, but at least they've finally got rid of the crap requirement to use out dated, old clients.

They've open sign up now though.

UKNova was good for the footie league show and rugby.

Anyway, as for the TV license thing, the beeb were trialing a international service, but at $10 a month, they missed the boat. Anyone willing to spend that money to access the beeb is already spending less than that on a VPN, to access all the other channels.
Agreed Bob - I liked UKNova, and it's a lot of a bugger that those of us who do pay for our licence cannot access the BBC iPlayer when we are out of the UK on holiday.

I'll take a peek at TheBox.

Kind regards
Old Aug 27th 2012, 8:31 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

The trackers for UKNova were located in Houston, TX, and it was in the .com TLD.

TheBox's servers are located in Sweden, and the TLD is Belize. I think they may last a little longer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.