Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE... help needed!

Wikiposts

UK NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE... help needed!

Old Aug 13th 2006, 6:39 am
Just Joined

humble is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE... help needed!

hello everybody..

i was born in the U.S.A and got my UK passport when i was 17 years old as both my parents are also british citizensh... im not sure how they went about getting me a passport.

anyhow, the UK passport is now expired and i would like to renew it.. i live in the u.s and downloaded the application form from www.britainusa.com and on section 1B it asks for:

citizenship document number (i assume thats a naturalization certificate).
however, i misplaced that certificate so i dont know any of its details.

since this is NOT a first application for passport but rather a renewal, will i need to fill that section out?

also, how would i go about getting that certificate number?
MUCH appreciated to anybody who can help asap!

thanks.

Last edited by humble; Aug 13th 2006 at 7:30 am.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:26 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NATURALIZATION CERTIFICATE... help needed!

Originally Posted by humble
will i need to fill that section out?
Did you happen to download the extensive Notes pages? In case you didn't...

"Note 1 – Section 1b – Naturalisation and Registration
You should complete Section 1b if you became a British subject or citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by naturalisation or registration before 1 January 1983, or if you became a British citizen, British Dependent/Overseas
Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, British subject or British protected person by naturalisation or registration on or after that date either through the Home Office in the United Kingdom or through the Governor’s Office of a British Overseas Territory. You should forward your original citizenship document with the completed form when applying for your first passport.

If you were naturalised or registered as a British Overseas Territories citizen after 20 May 2002 you will only be eligible for passport facilities as a British citizen once you have been registered as such a citizen by the Home Office in the United Kingdom."

If you don't have your original citizenship document, you should probably actually contact the UK embassy in DC. They're quite easy to talk to... I've spoken with them several times.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Aug 13th 2006 at 8:30 am.
Old Aug 13th 2006, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Did you happen to download the extensive Notes pages? In case you didn't...

"Note 1 – Section 1b – Naturalisation and Registration
You should complete Section 1b if you became a British subject or citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies by naturalisation or registration before 1 January 1983, or if you became a British citizen, British Dependent/Overseas
Territories citizen, British Overseas citizen, British subject or British protected person by naturalisation or registration on or after that date either through the Home Office in the United Kingdom or through the Governor’s Office of a British Overseas Territory. You should forward your original citizenship document with the completed form when applying for your first passport.

If you were naturalised or registered as a British Overseas Territories citizen after 20 May 2002 you will only be eligible for passport facilities as a British citizen once you have been registered as such a citizen by the Home Office in the United Kingdom."

If you don't have your original citizenship document, you should probably actually contact the UK embassy in DC. They're quite easy to talk to... I've spoken with them several times.

Ian

thanks Ian bro..

actually i just realized that im a u.k citizen by DECENT..
also the notes specify that you should provide that citizenship document for the first passport application. so im not sure if i still need to provide that again.. or do i?

keep in mind that i already have a u.k passport.. but its expired, so im only RENEWING.. NOT A FIRST TIME APPLICANT!

anyhow, do you think that the UK embassy in washington can provide me with such certificate?
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:04 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

thanks Ian bro..

actually i just realized that im a u.k citizen by DECENT..
also the notes specify that you should provide that citizenship document for the first passport application. so im not sure if i still need to provide that again.. or do i?

keep in mind that i already have a u.k passport.. but its expired, so im only RENEWING.. NOT A FIRST TIME APPLICANT!

anyhow, do you think that the UK embassy in washington can provide me with such certificate?
Have you asked your parents/family if they have your naturalization certificate? If it's in their possession, you should ask for it and then keep it yourself.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 13th 2006, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Have you asked your parents/family if they have your naturalization certificate? If it's in their possession, you should ask for it and then keep it yourself.

NC Penguin

i wish i could, but my parents arent around.
does anybody have experience getting a new certificate from the UK embassy in washington?

do you think this could take a really long time?
Old Aug 13th 2006, 10:02 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... or do i?
No idea, really! I only needed my previous UK passport, birth certificate, and CDN passport the last time I renewed. Then again, I was born in the UK so registration wasn't an issue for me.

do you think that the UK embassy in washington can provide me with such certificate?
At the very least, they'll be able to tell you definitively whether or not you need one!

Ian
Old Aug 13th 2006, 11:06 am
Just Joined

No idea, really! I only needed my previous UK passport, birth certificate, and CDN passport the last time I renewed. Then again, I was born in the UK so registration wasn't an issue for me.

At the very least, they'll be able to tell you definitively whether or not you need one!

Ian

Ian..

why would you need your CDN passport?
i assume you went in person to renew and NOT via mail???
Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:07 pm
Account Closed

why would you need your CDN passport?
In order to verify my status in the US, one of the requirements was the original visa which I used to enter the US... and it was in my CDN passport. I was not a USC at the time I renewed my UK passport. I also had to send a copy of my GC. No worries, though... they returned all the originals.

i assume you went in person to renew and NOT via mail???
No... I renewed via mail.

Ian
Old Aug 13th 2006, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

In order to verify my status in the US, one of the requirements was the original visa which I used to enter the US... and it was in my CDN passport. I was not a USC at the time I renewed my UK passport. I also had to send a copy of my GC. No worries, though... they returned all the originals.

No... I renewed via mail.

Ian

gothca bro!
i assume since im a u.s citizen i wont need to send in my u.s passport, correct?
Old Aug 14th 2006, 11:52 am
Account Closed

i assume since im a u.s citizen i wont need to send in my u.s passport, correct?
I wouldn't make that assumption.

Ian