Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK National Insurance top ups

Wikiposts

UK National Insurance top ups

Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:38 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK National Insurance top ups

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Hello Snapshot. Not sure if I am reading your comment correctly. I would advise you to pay your back contributions whilst overseas as it is a lot cheaper. You pay class 2 whilst overseas. Once you come back, they will charge you class 3 which is a lot more. There are also age restrictions for backpaying from within UK.

Worth checking out.
Thanks, very useful information, I've sent you a P.M.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 1:40 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Almost five times more!

Also note that you can only pay six years in arrears, and it is rumoured that Class 2 is being withdrawn for expats. If that happens in 2016 (I haven't seen that it will, but it could), then six years from now if you are still overseas you won't have any Class 2 years that you would be allowed to pay in arrears.
Good to know, most useful, thanks.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Dizzyp is an unknown quantity at this point

There's definitely a limit, and I was only allowed to pay in seven years (the current year: 2014-15, plus six prior years) when I did the paperwork about 18 months ago, so I have a gap from 2002-2007. I wonder why you were allowed to pay so far back?
I think I was allowed because I had been 'paid up' to 30 years before they increased it to 35 years last year. The letter I received from them when I enquired about my NIC record, included a table with the years I had a shortfall for and the payment due. Therefore if anyone is in the same boat (currently have 30 years contributions), they'll probably be able to go back more than 6 years to catch up.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 1:25 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dizzyp
I think I was allowed because I had been 'paid up' to 30 years before they increased it to 35 years last year. The letter I received from them when I enquired about my NIC record, included a table with the years I had a shortfall for and the payment due. Therefore if anyone is in the same boat (currently have 30 years contributions), they'll probably be able to go back more than 6 years to catch up.
Ah, that would make sense, .... but generally it is six years.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 7:31 am

I think I'm understanding that I don't have to pay any top up N.I. contributions. My husband posed the question, 'what happens if we don't pay ?' Well, nothing it seems to me. I understand the overall pension payment will be reduced dependant on an underpayment of National Insurance contributions. This can be dealt with by getting back into the system i.e. get a job and pay tax and national insurance in the normal manner. It's not as if it's compulsory to pay N.I. top ups and it seems to me they don't 'grab it' i.e. start deducting extra N.I. contributions from my income when they realise there is a gap in my N.I. contributions as if I had underpaid income tax. (I'm not confusing the two btw)

For a woman my age, I need 30 years N.I. contributions to qualify for a pension. I had 23 years contributions paid before leaving the UK. I've got enough years on my working life should we return to the UK to clock up to 30 years i.e. 7 years of working and paying N.I. contributions. Then still some after that as it's anybody's guess when I will retire.

However, I am planning to write to them anyway. To bad they don't seem to have an e-mail address. There is a phone number, dependant on the query. There's also a postal address, but I could not see an e-mail.

It makes no difference to me, I don't have a problem with, 'snail mail' it would just be useful to use e-mail to communicate with the 'National Insurance Department', that's all.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 21st 2016 at 7:43 am. Reason: attempting an intelligent post (it will happen one day !)
Old Jan 21st 2016, 7:37 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I think I'm understanding that I don't have to pay any top up N.I. contributions.

For a woman my age, I need 30 years N.I. contributions to qualify for a pension. ......
It's changed to 35 years for men and women, effective this April (2016), I think .... or last spring. In any case long before you appear to be planning on retiring.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 7:51 am

It's changed to 35 years for men and women, effective this April (2016), I think .... or last spring. In any case long before you appear to be planning on retiring.
Thanks, useful information once again

It seems I may well have enough years of my working life (should we return to Britain and I get a job), including it going up to 35 years for the could-be-five-years absence of N.I. payments not to matter. I hope. If so, all well and good.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 21st 2016 at 7:56 am. Reason: Pulaski knows why
Old Mar 17th 2016, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I would advise you to pay your back contributions whilst overseas as it is a lot cheaper. You pay class 2 whilst overseas. Once you come back, they will charge you class 3 which is a lot more. There are also age restrictions for backpaying from within UK.

Worth checking out.
Did I hear in the budget yesterday, that Class 2 is ending in 2018?

Did anyone else hear this?
Old Mar 17th 2016, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
Did I hear in the budget yesterday, that Class 2 is ending in 2018?

Did anyone else hear this?
Yes you did. Here is the BritExpat thread on the issue so far:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-5...utions-874408/
Old Mar 19th 2016, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail

Thanks. I thought I might have misheard it!
Old Mar 19th 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Class 3, at about £730/yr. Still not a bad deal for another income stream in retirement. That said it will price many people out of contributing, and the resulting pension could become means-tested at some point, thereby denying pension payments to those who were able to afford the contributions.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 19th 2016 at 1:45 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Class 3, at about £730/yr. Still not a bad deal for another income stream in retirement. That said it will price many people out of contributing, and the resulting pension could become means-tested at some point, thereby denying pension payments to those who were able to afford the contributions.
Or they could raise the state retirement age again. Or put it back up to 44 years again for a full state pension, in the interest of equality of course (women needed 39 years and men needed 44 years).

I think the removal of class 2 was to make the SE pay a fairer contribution towards their state pension. The fact that those abroad could buy the cheaper class 2s, was perhaps just a bonus for them?

The no piggybacking off a partner's contributions (state pension will only be based or your own contributions now) might also make it less attractive to those abroad and having to pay the more expensive class 3s from 2018?

Last edited by formula; Mar 19th 2016 at 2:03 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2016, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

So if you have 30 years of contributions, can you pay the extra five years at Class 2 rates before 2018?
Old Mar 19th 2016, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
So if you have 30 years of contributions, can you pay the extra five years at Class 2 rates before 2018?
Are you asking if you can pay the next 5 years in advance? The answer to that is no. Or previous years in arrears?
Old Mar 19th 2016, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

It would be previous years in arrears for me and Mrs. Bud. Caught up to the 30 years in 2009.

Sorry I wasn't clear in the previous post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.