Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK National Insurance top ups

Wikiposts

UK National Insurance top ups

Old Jan 16th 2016, 10:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK National Insurance top ups

Originally Posted by fulwood
I was unemployed for a few months after arrival in US. Used that time to get to know my dad and step-family.
OK, so that may be a problem, but you should not rule yourself out until you have completed the form and had it assessed by the DWP.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 8:13 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
OK, so that may be a problem, but you should not rule yourself out until you have completed the form and had it assessed by the DWP.
My situation in 1991 was that I left my English job on June 30 (easy date to remember, halfway point in the year), then searched for my new job in MA at my leisure. I'm fairly sure I didn't start till the first week in September. This is what I reported to the DWP and I was eligible for Class II.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 3:57 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
My situation in 1991 was that I left my English job on June 30 (easy date to remember, halfway point in the year), then searched for my new job in MA at my leisure. I'm fairly sure I didn't start till the first week in September. This is what I reported to the DWP and I was eligible for Class II.
I don't know the exact rules, nor remember the wording of the form, but I think "looking for work" may be sufficient, for a while, at least.
Old Jan 17th 2016, 4:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/national-insuranc...urance-classes
BUT NB -
http://www.taxassist.co.uk/resources...s/id/900000670
Old Jan 18th 2016, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Dizzyp is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm looking to pay 5 years of Class 2 contributions to top up my NI payments to 35 years. I've had a look at form CF83, but it would appear most of the questions are for someone who is planning to go abroad, not someone who is already abroad. How do I find out what I have to pay to catch up and how do I pay it?
I was in the same position as yourself and wanted to pay the 5 year shortfall before April 2016 incase the Gov/ changed the rules on non-residents. I wrote to the NIC & EO Dept and explained my situation and they sent me details of the shortfall for each year (approx £137 per yr). I transferred the money from my UK bank a/c to theirs but if you want a receipt they advise to send a cheque with a covering letter.

You could also phone them on +44 3000 555 725 as I've found them to be very helpful.
Old Jan 18th 2016, 8:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know the exact rules, nor remember the wording of the form, but I think "looking for work" may be sufficient, for a while, at least.
I did look for work. I applied for two jobs in my field, and was offered both of them! Such a dilemma!
Old Jan 19th 2016, 11:11 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dizzyp
I was in the same position as yourself and wanted to pay the 5 year shortfall before April 2016 incase the Gov/ changed the rules on non-residents. I wrote to the NIC & EO Dept and explained my situation and they sent me details of the shortfall for each year (approx £137 per yr). I transferred the money from my UK bank a/c to theirs but if you want a receipt they advise to send a cheque with a covering letter.

You could also phone them on +44 3000 555 725 as I've found them to be very helpful.
Most useful, thank you. Can't afford it presently whilst overseas as we're on one income because I couldn't find regular paid employment.

However, should we return to the UK, repatriate ourselves and become residents again we will need to pay the shortfall of years since we have not been paying N.I. contributions.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Have you "applied" for Class 2 eligiblity? You first need to complete the eligibility form and submit it, then you hear back and the tell you if you are eligible for Class 2 or Class 3, and how much you can pay including arrears.

If you haven't applied you need to phone in DWP international help line number.

Thank you both for your help.

I just phoned the number and got straight through. Very helpful. They said that I might want to wait until after April 16th as they wouldn't confirm that any changes were about to be made in the amount of years needed or if the rules for the class of contributions was going to change.

They did give me a list of information they needed in order to assess the payment amounts if I wanted to go ahead with paying the extra 5 years.

Should I wait till April 16th or apply asap?
Old Jan 20th 2016, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Thank you both for your help. .....
You're welcome
.... I just phoned the number and got straight through. Very helpful. They said that I might want to wait until after April 16th as they wouldn't confirm that any changes were about to be made in the amount of years needed or if the rules for the class of contributions was going to change.

They did give me a list of information they needed in order to assess the payment amounts if I wanted to go ahead with paying the extra 5 years.

Should I wait till April 16th or apply asap? ......
If you apply immediately you may be able to pay back one earlier year, if you wait until April you will miss that earlier year, which is definitely a Class 2 (cheap) year.

I think you can pay six years in arrears, so that would mean back to .... 2009-2010 (I think), but waiting until April would mean only paying back as far as 2010-2011. It you have already paid in for those years, it wouldn't matter.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 3:42 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Most useful, thank you. Can't afford it presently whilst overseas as we're on one income because I couldn't find regular paid employment.

However, should we return to the UK, repatriate ourselves and become residents again we will need to pay the shortfall of years since we have not been paying N.I. contributions.
Hello Snapshot. Not sure if I am reading your comment correctly. I would advise you to pay your back contributions whilst overseas as it is a lot cheaper. You pay class 2 whilst overseas. Once you come back, they will charge you class 3 which is a lot more. There are also age restrictions for backpaying from within UK.

Worth checking out.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

Bud,

I would pay asap if you have the money. I have just paid for years 2007 to 2012 to bring my total contributions up to 35 years. I had already paid for 5 years while I was in the States and was fine until they changed the goalposts.

I'm still waiting for them to tell me the amount for my husband's contributions as he is missing the years 2005 to 2010 to bring him up to 35 years. Because of all the changes that the Gov are making, there's now no penalty for late payment for those years - you now have until 2019 according to my letter from them but I'm not risking it!

What was the list of info that they gave you in order to assess the payment amounts that you owe? I'm thinking of just sending the money and not waiting for them to reply.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Hello Snapshot. Not sure if I am reading your comment correctly. I would advise you to pay your back contributions whilst overseas as it is a lot cheaper. You pay class 2 whilst overseas. Once you come back, they will charge you class 3 which is a lot more. .....
Almost five times more!

Also note that you can only pay six years in arrears, and it is rumoured that Class 2 is being withdrawn for expats. If that happens in 2016 (I haven't seen that it will, but it could), then six years from now if you are still overseas you won't have any Class 2 years that you would be allowed to pay in arrears.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

I don't think the rule of only 6 years in arrears is valid since I just paid the arrears for 2007-2008.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Bud,

I would pay asap if you have the money. I have just paid for years 2007 to 2012 to bring my total contributions up to 35 years. I had already paid for 5 years while I was in the States and was fine until they changed the goalposts.

I'm still waiting for them to tell me the amount for my husband's contributions as he is missing the years 2005 to 2010 to bring him up to 35 years. Because of all the changes that the Gov are making, there's now no penalty for late payment for those years - you now have until 2019 according to my letter from them but I'm not risking it!

What was the list of info that they gave you in order to assess the payment amounts that you owe? I'm thinking of just sending the money and not waiting for them to reply.
1. UK employer
2. Exact date UK employment ended.
3. Exact date I went abroad.
4. Full details of Employer as of April 2006.
5. Nature of employment.
6. Exact dates of US employment.

They did stress the EXACT dates.

I topped up the payments to 30 years in 2009 for the years 1996 thru 2003. Average yearly cost was around £350. ( varied from £309 to £421 )
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:30 am

I don't think the rule of only 6 years in arrears is valid since I just paid the arrears for 2007-2008.
There's definitely a limit, and I was only allowed to pay in seven years (the current year: 2014-15, plus six prior years) when I did the paperwork about 18 months ago, so I have a gap from 2002-2007. I wonder why you were allowed to pay so far back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.