Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK musician barred from US with no reason given -- H1B torn up

Wikiposts

UK musician barred from US with no reason given -- H1B torn up

Old Sep 22nd 2007, 4:38 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK musician barred from US with no reason given -- H1B torn up

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yup, I agree! There must be a system of checks and balances in place to ensure that CBP is held accountable for their actions. Generally, I believe they're doing a good job... but issues do happen and there needs to be a codified means of resolving those issues.

Personally, I don't fully believe that "homeland security" is the magic panacea it's cracked up to be. There are far too many ways to abuse it.

Ian
Think this lack of accountability runs across all govt departments here in the US. It is just more pronounced in anything to do with aliens since they have less recourse to make trouble for them than citizens. It needs a major shakeup in either an ombudsman with real power, independence and big boots, or the option for judicial review of all their actions. Being that there is not a strong ombudsman tradition (I seem to remember an ALIA lawyer on here suggesting that the USCIS ombudsman was not for regular folks to contact!), I suppose it will have to be judicial: the right to a hearing and representation.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 4:55 am
Провалат е недопустим.

Eagle Sparrow is a name known to allEagle Sparrow is a name known to allEagle Sparrow is a name known to allEagle Sparrow is a name known to allEagle Sparrow is a name known to allEagle Sparrow is a name known to allEagle Sparrow is a name known to allEagle Sparrow is a name known to allEagle Sparrow is a name known to allEagle Sparrow is a name known to allEagle Sparrow is a name known to all

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Her grandfather, and quite possibly her father at some point in his life tied a turban...

"She was born in Wales. Her mother is a British homemaker, and her father, an emeritus professor of educational psychology at the University of Wales, was born in India to a Sikh family and moved to Britain in the 1960s..."

Unbelievable is right...
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Think this lack of accountability runs across all govt departments here in the US. It is just more pronounced in anything to do with aliens since they have less recourse to make trouble for them than citizens. It needs a major shakeup in either an ombudsman with real power, independence and big boots, or the option for judicial review of all their actions. Being that there is not a strong ombudsman tradition (I seem to remember an ALIA lawyer on here suggesting that the USCIS ombudsman was not for regular folks to contact!), I suppose it will have to be judicial: the right to a hearing and representation.
Just wondering about the practicalities, if every person who as refused a visa or refuse entry could obtain judicial review.....

I am still wondering what the story behind the story is.