Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK musician barred from US with no reason given -- H1B torn up

Wikiposts

UK musician barred from US with no reason given -- H1B torn up

Old Sep 21st 2007, 6:40 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK musician barred from US with no reason given -- H1B torn up

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/17/ny...icologist.html

This is ridiculous!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:09 am
You're all mugs!

dukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond reputedukeynorton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK musician barred from US with no reason given -- H1B torn up

Weird, especially as she had lived and worked in the US for many years previous. Confused!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:12 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
Weird, especially as she had lived and worked in the US for many years previous. Confused!
The case has been cited because this sort of thing has been happening more and more often, and bands now really have to worry about getting in to perform. There has been a sudden rise in visa issuance refusals and in POE refusals.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 7:49 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dukeynorton
Not surprised at all. We've had 6 years where the government has not been accountable to anyone, and clinical paranoia has been induced among those of lower intelligence. What did everyone expect would happen?
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:52 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Not surprised at all. We've had 6 years where the government has not been accountable to anyone, and clinical paranoia has been induced among those of lower intelligence. What did everyone expect would happen?
I'm not surprised.... what I want to know is what we (Americans who aren't paranoid and want our government held accountable) can do about it!!!!
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:54 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

She's got a funny name, and her skin is a bit brownish.
Seems fair to me than.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 2:59 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I'm not surprised.... what I want to know is what we (Americans who aren't paranoid and want our government held accountable) can do about it!!!!
Demand accountability from your (our!) government.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have been to Secondary,

and never been groped.

Wonder what the real story is, we will probably never know.
Old Sep 21st 2007, 6:27 pm
Lapine Member

I've been to secondary, and never been groped, but as a citizen they sorta have to let me in. I can accept people on tourist visas being turned away at officer discretion without reason (though this should be rare), but people who have permission to work here should, in my opinion, be given a very good reason as to why they aren't being admitted so that they can appeal the decision.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 1:33 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I've been to secondary, and never been groped, but as a citizen they sorta have to let me in. I can accept people on tourist visas being turned away at officer discretion without reason (though this should be rare), but people who have permission to work here should, in my opinion, be given a very good reason as to why they aren't being admitted so that they can appeal the decision.
I agree, what they've done is ridiculous, but at least give her a reason why..
then she has something to fight against..
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:12 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by lisag8070
I agree, what they've done is ridiculous, but at least give her a reason why..
then she has something to fight against..
Folks turned back need more than a reason why--they also need access to an independent review of their case and an ongoing independent review of the conduct of CBP.

I, too, have never had a body search. Only ended up in secondary once. There was somebody, they told me, with my name with an arrest warrant out! Since I was christened along there with the John Smiths of this world, this didn't strike me as greatly unusual. Anyway, they had me on my merry way with not too much delay. They weren't particularly objectionable about but they weren't exactly friendly, either. If they were to try that now I'm a citizen, they'll get a gob full and plenty of fall out from their actions.

But I think there are too many of these cases hitting the media to suggest that there isn't a fundamental problem with CBP officers I have no problem with them refusing to admit people. But you treat people with respect when you do it. There are too many stories of ordinary, everyday folk being put in orange and left without food, water or explanation for days at airport detention facilities. I think due process should be afforded to all those in this no-man's land. You need to know what you've done wrong and be given an opportunity to explain it. It's the least I would expect from a civilized nation.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:30 am
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Folks turned back need more than a reason why--they also need access to an independent review of their case and an ongoing independent review of the conduct of CBP.

I, too, have never had a body search. Only ended up in secondary once. There was somebody, they told me, with my name with an arrest warrant out! Since I was christened along there with the John Smiths of this world, this didn't strike me as greatly unusual. Anyway, they had me on my merry way with not too much delay. They weren't particularly objectionable about but they weren't exactly friendly, either. If they were to try that now I'm a citizen, they'll get a gob full and plenty of fall out from their actions.

But I think there are too many of these cases hitting the media to suggest that there isn't a fundamental problem with CBP officers I have no problem with them refusing to admit people. But you treat people with respect when you do it. There are too many stories of ordinary, everyday folk being put in orange and left without food, water or explanation for days at airport detention facilities. I think due process should be afforded to all those in this no-man's land. You need to know what you've done wrong and be given an opportunity to explain it. It's the least I would expect from a civilized nation.
Hear Hear !
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisag8070
... but at least give her a reason why.. then she has something to fight against..
This presupposes that "they" want the fight! I suspect that it's far easier to remain silent and neither confirm nor deny that there was any incident at all.

Ian
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:40 am
Septicity

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This presupposes that "they" want the fight! I suspect that it's far easier to remain silent and neither confirm nor deny that there was any incident at all.

Ian
Oppression does indeed turn people into drones.
Old Sep 22nd 2007, 2:41 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I agree! There must be a system of checks and balances in place to ensure that CBP is held accountable for their actions. Generally, I believe they're doing a good job... but issues do happen and there needs to be a codified means of resolving those issues.

Personally, I don't fully believe that "homeland security" is the magic panacea it's cracked up to be. There are far too many ways to abuse it.

Ian

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.