Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Mortgages.... thoughts appreciated

Wikiposts

UK Mortgages.... thoughts appreciated

Old Nov 11th 2008, 7:51 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Mortgages.... thoughts appreciated

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, interesting differences on each side of the pond. One great idea the UK has but US doesn't is the offset mortgage - essentially gives you tax-free interest on your savings.

You can get longer-term fixies in the UK now, but not usually beyond 10 yrs (though there are some lifetime fixies, apparently Brits don't seem inclined to take them up).

The tradition here over the past few years seems to have become "get a great rate for 2 or 3 years and then re-mortgage for another great rate" Lots of people who did this are now havig very serious "oops" moments (can't get a decent remortgage because of insufficient capital in their house, etc.)
Yep exactly the same over here, in the US they are ARMS (Adjustable Rate Mortgages). Usually they are fixed for say 5 years and then the rate tracks the
LIBOR. The worst product in the US was the interest only loan so you never pay off any principal, just hope for the price of your house to go up so that if you want to sell you can pay off the mortgage, But ooops that doesn't work anymore with house prices 25% down in some parts of the US.

The traditional US mortgage is the 30 or 15 years fixed rate. It has the advantage of keeping your payments constant and if rates should ever fall significantly you can always refinance. That's what I did I went from a 30 year 5.5% to a 15 years 4.5% fixed about 8 years ago and I love the stability of it!