Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Medical Treatment for Returning Citizens

UK Medical Treatment for Returning Citizens

Old May 3rd 2009, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default UK Medical Treatment for Returning Citizens

Anyone know what the qualifying period is to be able to receive treatment under the NHS when returning to the UK after living abroad.

I assume there is a waiting period? Do I need to take private insurance if there is a waiting period?
Old May 3rd 2009, 6:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Medical Treatment for Returning Citizens

Originally Posted by johnh009
Anyone know what the qualifying period is to be able to receive treatment under the NHS when returning to the UK after living abroad.

I assume there is a waiting period? Do I need to take private insurance if there is a waiting period?
If you are returning to take up residence then you qaulify straight away.
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

There's been quite a bit of discussion about this. AFAIK, a British citizen qualifies for NHS treament immediately, providing they are taking up permanent residence in the UK. My wife was in this position 3 years ago and didn't have any problems at all. She did say that very few dentists offer NHS services in her area.

There was a recent thread started by someone who said they had to offer all sorts of "proof" that they intended to remain in the UK. As far as I can remember, the general concensus was that this was overzealousness by the local authority, but I didn't follow it to the end. It'll be on here somewhere.
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

We returned to the UK (not to the same town) last year and just walked into the local Dr's and asked to be registered. We had to fill in the form the receptionist provided and bring in our nhs medical cards. Did that and were allocated a Dr straight away. The form was about date of birth and where the last Dr was. The medical cards were sent away to be changed and new ones arrived within weeks.
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:24 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009

I think the NHS is getting clever about people taking an NHS holiday, so at some surgeries you may be asked questions, or be asked for evidence you are resident. The NHS loses money every year treating people who just come back for a free health care holiday.

But yes, you are eligible immediately if you are returning to take up residence. Do a Search for NHS in the MBTTUK forum and you'll find dozens of threads on the subject over the years.
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think the NHS is getting clever about people taking an NHS holiday, so at some surgeries you may be asked questions, or be asked for evidence you are resident. The NHS loses money every year treating people who just come back for a free health care holiday.

But yes, you are eligible immediately if you are returning to take up residence. Do a Search for NHS in the MBTTUK forum and you'll find dozens of threads on the subject over the years.
Thanks everyone for the helpful information.