Reload this Page >

uk marriage certificate for interview

uk marriage certificate for interview

Old May 15th 2002, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

grajan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default uk marriage certificate for interview

hi,
I am a UK citizen with a US fiancee. During my divorce process last year my Marriage Certificate was handed over to my solicitor. I did ask if I would get it back and was told 'no', it goes to the court.
If this is normal proceedure then how do I go to my interview for the K1 with a 'marriage certificate, for any previous marriages' as requested on form IV15?
Any ideas or experiences of this problem will be appreciated.

Graham
Old May 15th 2002, 7:50 pm
abi
Forum Regular

abi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: uk marriage certificate for interview

I had the same problem...well my ex husband had our marriage certificate. I did however have a certified copy from my solicitor, but was told that this was insufficient. If you get in touch with your local registrar office, for a small fee of about 6 pounds or so, they can send you a propper certified copy, which is good to use. As long as its certified by the department that issued it, ie, by the official registrar, then that is fine. Good luck.
Old May 15th 2002, 9:20 pm
Sthrnshrte

>hi, I am a UK citizen with a US fiancee. During my divorce process last year my
    >Marriage Certificate was handed over to my solicitor. I did ask if I would get it
    >back and was told 'no', it goes to the court. If this is normal proceedure then how
    >do I go to my interview for the K1 with a 'marriage certificate, for any previous
    >marriages' as requested on form IV15? Any ideas or experiences of this problem will
    >be appreciated.
    >
    >Graham
    >
    >
    >

Graham, if you write to or phone the registrar office of births, deaths and marriages
in the council where you were married, they should be able to send you a certified
copy or equivalent. I'm not 100% on this, I'm the American, but when I got married in
Wokingham they led me to believe that asking for another wouldn't be a problem.

Ash (+Pete)

Old May 16th 2002, 1:20 am
Denis Barlow

Hi Graham,

I had exactly the same problem and I just got a copy from the Family Records
Centre in London

http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/

Denis

"grajan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > hi, I am a UK citizen with a US fiancee. During my divorce process last year my
    > Marriage Certificate was handed over to my solicitor. I did ask if I would get it
    > back and was told 'no', it goes to the court. If this is normal proceedure then how
    > do I go to my interview for the K1 with a 'marriage certificate, for any previous
    > marriages' as requested on form IV15? Any ideas or experiences of this problem will
    > be appreciated.
    >
    > Graham
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 17th 2002, 12:20 pm
Jan

My divorce cert wasnt taken off me by the court, but then i didnt use a solicitor.
(did a do it urself grand total of £225). I would think you could get a copy from
the registrar in the town/city you were married in the same way you can get extra
birth certs.

Jan ) "grajan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > hi, I am a UK citizen with a US fiancee. During my divorce process last year my
    > Marriage Certificate was handed over to my solicitor. I did ask if I would get it
    > back and was told 'no', it goes to the court. If this is normal proceedure then how
    > do I go to my interview for the K1 with a 'marriage certificate, for any previous
    > marriages' as requested on form IV15? Any ideas or experiences of this problem will
    > be appreciated.
    >
    > Graham
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com