Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Magazine subscriptions that dont cost an arm and a leg??

UK Magazine subscriptions that dont cost an arm and a leg??

Old May 17th 2010, 3:19 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Magazine subscriptions that dont cost an arm and a leg??

I am American but every time I go to the UK or my friends visit from there I get magazines! I love the free gifts ! You can get some nice gifts with subscriptions over here though which seem to be much c heaper than a magazine subscription in the UK. Try ebay, magazines.com and Amazon. I got hubby a 4 year subscription to Rolling Stone Magazine over here for $17.96! I must admit I have even bought teen magazines over ther just to get the free gifts! One of them included Benefit lipgloss and I bought 4 of the same magazine to get the gloss in 4 different colors.I have also gotten flip flops, eye shadow, mascara and numerous cds and totebags. Still saved me money at the end! Have you tried bookstores such as Barnes and Noble or Borders as well?
Old May 17th 2010, 5:12 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
I am American but every time I go to the UK or my friends visit from there I get magazines! I love the free gifts ! You can get some nice gifts with subscriptions over here though which seem to be much c heaper than a magazine subscription in the UK. Try ebay, magazines.com and Amazon. I got hubby a 4 year subscription to Rolling Stone Magazine over here for $17.96! I must admit I have even bought teen magazines over ther just to get the free gifts! One of them included Benefit lipgloss and I bought 4 of the same magazine to get the gloss in 4 different colors.I have also gotten flip flops, eye shadow, mascara and numerous cds and totebags. Still saved me money at the end! Have you tried bookstores such as Barnes and Noble or Borders as well?

I will try those thankyou...I dont think I'd have much use for the mascara, lip gloss and eye shadow but the missus might!
Old May 17th 2010, 5:15 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan17
Barnes and Noble in Encinitas has the best selection of imported British magazines I've found. Theres a magazine stand at the UTC Mall in that carries most of the magazines as well. They don't carry every single one, but between the two its got most of them.
Nice alan...Iwill have to check those out, it would be worth the drive from east county methinks...thanks again
Old May 17th 2010, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

If you're coming from East County try out the B&N in Mission Valley first. They have a pretty big selection. Borders used to be good for 1 or 2 magazines but I've found B&N seems to be getting a lot better. The stand at UTC is however probably worth the drive.
Old May 17th 2010, 5:44 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

There is also www.Barnesandnoble.com
Old May 17th 2010, 6:07 pm
Not around much..

Thanks!!
Old May 17th 2010, 6:16 pm

You're welcome!
Old May 18th 2010, 12:22 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan17
Barnes and Noble in Encinitas has the best selection of imported British magazines I've found.
My husband works at B&N and gets a 30% discount on books and magazines. Good thing, too, because Mark buys several geeky British-import magazines every month (Doctor Who Magazine, RetroGamer, Edge, etc) and with his employee discount it's A LOT cheaper than the monthly subscriptions.

Maybe you could get a part-time job at B&N?

~ Jenney
Old May 18th 2010, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Floridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud ofFloridared has much to be proud of

Try Viz, haha!!
Old May 18th 2010, 1:37 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My tip of the day; join the Royal Oak Foundation. It is essentially the American branch of the National Trust, so for a reasonable membership fee ($55 for an individual, $90 for a family) you get a subscription to the National Trust Magazine. The most valuable member benefit is that you get free entry to National Trust Properties throughout the UK.
Old May 18th 2010, 2:33 pm
Not around much..

Originally Posted by robin1234
My tip of the day; join the Royal Oak Foundation. It is essentially the American branch of the National Trust, so for a reasonable membership fee ($55 for an individual, $90 for a family) you get a subscription to the National Trust Magazine. The most valuable member benefit is that you get free entry to National Trust Properties throughout the UK.
Great idea, I have looked into that before...do you get the british edition when you do that?
Old May 18th 2010, 2:35 pm
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
My husband works at B&N and gets a 30% discount on books and magazines. Good thing, too, because Mark buys several geeky British-import magazines every month (Doctor Who Magazine, RetroGamer, Edge, etc) and with his employee discount it's A LOT cheaper than the monthly subscriptions.

Maybe you could get a part-time job at B&N?

~ Jenney
geeky british import mags? is there such a thing Maybe i can just throw his name down when I go in my local branch... something like "hey, do you know mark? he works at a B&N in another state, can I get his employee discount please?" It might work..hahaha
Old May 18th 2010, 3:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Originally Posted by SDDep
Great idea, I have looked into that before...do you get the british edition when you do that?
Yes - you get the National Trust Magazine published by the National Trust in England. You also get the newsletter of the Royal Oak Foundation, which has good in-depth articles about National Trust properties in the UK. You also get the National Trust Members Handbook (That's the book that comes out each year with descriptions of the properties, opening times etc.)

I like the National Trust magazine for the advertisements among other things - it has a great classified section with holiday cottages etc., and full page ads for a lot of the UK-based cruises in smaller ships, European river cruises and suchlike. (As well as ads for stair-lifts, retirement homes etc.!!)

In short, lay out your $90 family membership and you can wallow in UK nostalgia and wishful thinking from the comfort & privacy of your US home.
Old May 18th 2010, 6:11 pm

If you join Barnes and Noble for about $25 a year you get a Barnes and Noble Card which gives you a discount of 10% off magazines and softcover books and 20% off hardcover. Plus I get coupons from them in the mail all the time for extra savings. I live near the biggest Barnes and Noble in NYC and they have a really cute cafe there as well which you would also get 10% off with your card at.
Old May 18th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

emailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really niceemailrob is just really nice

For US Magazines, keep an eye on www.slickdeals.net (or set up an "alert" on there for the word magazine). I get our subs from offers posted there. Most of my US ones are <$10 a year, some are $5. Some from amazon, some from other places.