UK labor law question

Old May 2nd 2018, 9:18 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK labor law question

Originally Posted by scot47
If you earn over £112 per week and are incapable of working for more than four days in a row, you are entitled to Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) of £88.45 per week from the fourth working day on which you are unable to attend work. This is the minimum legal amount your employer must pay you for up to 28 weeks of sick leave.17 Sep 2015
The amounts a bit more, it’s 7 days, after you got sick and it only gets paid if you are eligible which can be avoided by many employers for people on zero hours contracts plus some other getouts

https://www.gov.uk/calculate-statutory-sick-pay
Old May 4th 2018, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

shaam is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies Guys !

Appreciate it !
Old May 4th 2018, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

prospect is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a bit of a hot topic here for us. Employment contract for my partner states that pay will be docked for the first three years of employment ... you get more % back with each year of service with 100% back at 3 years.
Old May 6th 2018, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK you can have two types of sick pay - Statutory Sick Pay and Company Sick Pay.
You cannot compare China and the UK because the cultures are different.
The 3 day waiting period (no pay) is to cut down on sickies - people claiming to be ill when they aren't.
In my company we mirrored the state system and made no payments for the first 3 days of absence.
Our absence record reduced by over 60%.
Like many things in our society, the good were penalised by the actions of the not-so-good.
Old May 6th 2018, 10:13 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
In the UK you can have two types of sick pay - Statutory Sick Pay and Company Sick Pay.
The 3 day waiting period (no pay) is to cut down on sickies - people claiming to be ill when they aren't.
In my company we mirrored the state system and made no payments for the first 3 days of absence.
Like many things in our society, the good were penalised by the actions of the not-so-good.
Where I worked in the NHS the three days rule applied, but you were still paid for that if you ere salaried, Fourth day you could send in self certificate, obtained fro your GP surgery, and after 7 days you needed a medical cert. HOWEVER, once you had 7 days self certificated then you needed a GP cert from day 1, again to reduce the 'throwing a sickie' we did, in fact have one person who was taking a day off, often on a Monday, after a heavy weekend, he did go down the warnings route, and was referred to counselling, eventually he left, but then that was due to him bringing a 'guest' into the hospital and taking them onto the roof to see the virw, Security didn't like that and reported him, both, at the time, were a little worse for wear from drinking, he was advised to find another job.
Old May 6th 2018, 5:35 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I understand what you're saying and can see the sense in it. On the other hand, how much of that 60% reduction would be people who are genuinely ill coming to work because they can't afford to lose 1 - 3 days pay?
Old May 7th 2018, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I understand what you're saying and can see the sense in it. On the other hand, how much of that 60% reduction would be people who are genuinely ill coming to work because they can't afford to lose 1 - 3 days pay?
The last line of my post addresses that.
As Mikelincs has indicated, there is a cultural problem in the UK where just taking a day off when you feel like it is not seen as dishonest.
I considered it to be theft.
I employed a part time worker who also worked part time for the local Council.
On at least one occasion she was at work for me on the same days that she was off sick at the Council - because they paid her for those days and we didn't.
She was not off work because she was unwell but because she knew that she would be paid for 6 weeks illness related absence a year and she took that every year.
She was directly responsible for such sick leave being reduced for the entire workforce.
Old May 7th 2018, 2:16 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve worked in places in the uk that had up to x days a year paid sick, and people saw it as a right that they took them, sick or not.

In govt if we could prove we could do our job in 4.5 days a week, we worked a 9 day fortnight and the unions protected our workload, which was just ridiculous.

In the nhs HR have an algorithm applied to sick time, and if you repeatedly take short periods off you get into an hr interview / investigation thing that is unpleasant for all.

I do like working for places that have duvet days, x days a year you can call in on no notice and take a days holiday. Works for me.
Old May 7th 2018, 2:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

The last line of my post addresses that.
As Mikelincs has indicated, there is a cultural problem in the UK where just taking a day off when you feel like it is not seen as dishonest.
I considered it to be theft.
I employed a part time worker who also worked part time for the local Council.
On at least one occasion she was at work for me on the same days that she was off sick at the Council - because they paid her for those days and we didn't.
She was not off work because she was unwell but because she knew that she would be paid for 6 weeks illness related absence a year and she took that every year.
She was directly responsible for such sick leave being reduced for the entire workforce.
I'm not trying to be argumentative, but this staff member was really only responsible for her own behaviour. It was your company that took the decision to reduce sick leave entitlements for the entire workforce, based on the actions of one. Maybe it would have been fairer to just address the issue with the one you felt was taking advantage.
Old May 8th 2018, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

shaam is an unknown quantity at this point

indeed seems like a very HOT topic ..

My friend was seriously sick for 5 days the week before, Tuesday to Sunday with Friday being his day off. He was given a doctors note for sick leave too but the company is not willing to pay him on the days he took sick leaves.
Old May 8th 2018, 10:07 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaam

My friend was seriously sick for 5 days the week before, Tuesday to Sunday with Friday being his day off. He was given a doctors note for sick leave too but the company is not willing to pay him on the days he took sick leaves.
Without knowing what it says in his contract its impossible to comment.
Old May 8th 2018, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by az2014
Without knowing what it says in his contract its impossible to comment.
exactly
Old May 9th 2018, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shaam

Your friend would have been entitled to Statutory sick pay from the 4th day of absence.
If his employers did not pay this then I would suspect that he is on a zero-hours contract i.e. he has no contractual hours to be paid.
Zero hours contracts are good for the likes of students who need flexibility of work but they are mis-used by many employers to deny their employees certain rights.
This would include sick pay; holiday pay and redundancy pay.
If your friend is contracted to work for zero hours in any day then he is not entitled to sick pay.
Advise your friend to look for another job.
Old May 10th 2018, 3:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
In the uk, doctors dont issue sick notes any more at all unless your job and illness leads them to believe you are a risk to others..
that's not true, GPs will issue sick notes if you are ill for more than 7 days and they consider you need time of work to recover, regardless of your occupation. It's no more work for them to print one off and sign it as it is for them to print off the prescription and sign it.