Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK house sale and taxation

UK house sale and taxation

Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:25 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK house sale and taxation

Have done a couple of US forum searches and not found the answer:

It is likely that later this year I shall be selling my house in the UK. It was gifted to me 9 years ago and my Mother has been living there and paying the bills ever since. Now it looks like she will be going into a nursing home for good.

If it remains empty I shall be liable for Poll tax, heat etc. etc. which I cannot afford. The house would need a lot of work to be rentable.

If it is sold, does anyone know the tax implications both in the UK and the USA ?

I am now, officially, a non-taxpayer in the UK.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK house sale and taxation

Originally Posted by TRPardoe

It is likely that later this year I shall be selling my house in the UK. It was gifted to me 9 years ago and my Mother has been living there and paying the bills ever since. Now it looks like she will be going into a nursing home for good.

If it remains empty I shall be liable for Poll tax, heat etc. etc. which I cannot afford. The house would need a lot of work to be rentable.

If it is sold, does anyone know the tax implications both in the UK and the USA ?

What money !!!!!!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:34 pm

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What money !!!!!!
Difficult to value. It is a small 2 bed cottage on a hillside in North Staffordshire with a very large terraced garden and detached large garage. The garden is very unkempt now.

Perhaps £300,000 - perhaps £200,000 - who knows ?
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

AFAIK if the house is sold you would be liable for US capital gains tax on your gain (from what it was valued at when it was gifted to you). If it was a PET gift an official valuation should have been done?
I don't think you would be liable for UK tax (because of the UK/USA dual tax treaty agreement thingy).
I am not a CPA - standard advice - good idea to consult one anyway!

Last edited by farmerwife; Sep 10th 2007 at 8:37 pm. Reason: sp.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
What money !!!!!!
i'm no tax expert, but i'd say do this:

1) sell your house
2) deposit monies into a UK checking acct.
3) Pay any applicable taxes to UK gov't
4) Using your switch (or debit) card, remove cash from your UK acct here in the US
5) Using this cash, go get a money order to pay any bills. Doing this ensures there is no paper-trail (no unexplainable deposits into your US checking acct if you get audited by the IRS).
6) Reap the rewards of having gotten one past the US gov't!!!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by farmerwife
AFAIK if the house is sold you would be liable for US capital gains tax on your gain (from what it was valued at when it was gifted to you). If it was a PET gift an official valuation should have been done?
I don't think you would be liable for UK tax (because of the UK/USA dual tax treaty agreement thingy).
I am not a CPA - standard advice - good idea to consult one anyway!
So far as I recall no valuation was done at the time. It was a Deed of Gift.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13

1) sell your house
4) Using your switch (or debit) card, remove cash from your UK acct here in the US
5) Using this cash, go get a money order to pay any bills. Doing this ensures there is no paper-trail (no unexplainable deposits into your US checking acct if you get audited by the IRS).
That won't work.

You have to declare to the IRS any foreign account with more than $10,000 in it.

My only UK account is a Portman BS account which has no Debit Card.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

That won't work.

You have to declare to the IRS any foreign account with more than $10,000 in it.

My only UK account is a Portman BS account which has no Debit Card.
Damn..didn't know that...
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

1) sell your house
You forgot...hope the IRS don't catch up with you.

If it was me I'd report the sale to the IRS. You're required to declare any foreign bank account containing $10K or more.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

1) sell your house
Also wouldn't be smart because ..... UK CGT is a lot higher than USA CGT.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:52 pm

Also wouldn't be smart because ..... UK CGT is a lot higher than USA CGT.
I was wondering, it being my sole UK residence which I could not sell as my Mother lived there, whether I could bring the lot over tax free as I would if I was emigrating here.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

So far as I recall no valuation was done at the time. It was a Deed of Gift.
There has to be some kind of valuation at the date when it was gifted to you
That would be your basis from which your gain would be calculated.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:53 pm

There has to be some kind of valuation at the date when it was gifted to you
That would be your basis from which your gain would be calculated.
I suppose it could be on the Land Registry. I have the download at home. I'll have to have another look.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was wondering, it being my sole UK residence which I could not sell as my Mother lived there, whether I could bring the lot over tax free as I would if I was emigrating here.
I seem to remember there is a time line...something like 3 yrs after you've moved here.

I think you'd be best asking a qualified accountant who specializes in International Taxation.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well .... did you ever reside in it as your single family residence? It wouldn't count as your residence if actually wasn't; that is you actually were living somewhere else - the USA for instance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.