UK House Sale

Old Feb 16th 2009, 5:33 pm
Scottish forever

scotia123 will become famous soon enough
Default UK House Sale

Anyone been in my position before and got any advice please.

I am now a PR of the USA and have been renting out my mortgage free house in the UK since June 2007. I now want to sell the property and use the money from the sale to pay off the mortgage on my house here in the USA. I am not too sure what taxes I will be subject to on the money from the sale of the house by the UK Tax people.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 6:21 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK House Sale

The US people may want Capital Gains tax since you're a PR.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 7:15 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If it isn't your primary residence will you not get stung for UK capital gains tax on the difference between the buying and selling price.

Some research on the UK HMCE web site might answer the question.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:04 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
If it isn't your primary residence will you not get stung for UK capital gains tax on the difference between the buying and selling price.

Some research on the UK HMCE web site might answer the question.
If it was their Principal Private Residence before they let it out they are allowed to let for 3 years with no CGT.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:06 pm
Scottish forever

Thanks for that info.....up until I came over here it had been my principal and only home. It has now been let for nearly 2yrs, so I guess selling before the 3yrs are up so as not to have to pay CGT is a good idea.
Old Feb 16th 2009, 8:58 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotia123
Thanks for that info.....up until I came over here it had been my principal and only home. It has now been let for nearly 2yrs, so I guess selling before the 3yrs are up so as not to have to pay CGT is a good idea.
These three articles are all worth a read, shows that even after the three years there are quite a few deductions you can apply.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7132838.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ch/4864868.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7560937.stm
Old Feb 17th 2009, 4:06 am
Scottish forever

Those articles were very interesting thank you. They shed a lot of light on a subject I have been quite concerned about.