UK forms

Old Apr 30th 2002, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

timiny74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK forms

Sorry to write about this on this forum but I don't know of a UK Immigration forum and I think some of you may have gone through this.
We're filling out the IM2B Application for Settlement form. Nicola & I both live in Virginia so we're gonna go to the embassy so that I can get the spousal visa. The only problem is, all of these questions seem to assume that she lives in the UK. I'll give some examples:
B1. What is the name and present address of your sponsor in the UK?
She doesn't live in the UK...

B6. When did you last meet the sponsor?
Uhh about half an hour ago when she went to bed.

B8. For the accommodation where you will live, please state:
OWNED by the sponsor
RENTED by the sponsor
OCCUPIED on some other basis - I guess this one as we'll be staying at her mother's house initially?

There are some questions about my sponsor and my work prospects. Is it ok to say that we'll be interviewing when we get to the UK? Or must we both have jobs before we even get there?
B17. What will be the estimated monthly income of the household when you arrive in the UK? I suppose we just guess based on what we think our salaries will be?

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help us. The form says there is an INF 4 leaflet that should give us guidance but it doesn't tell me jack about any of this. We're hoping to go to the embassy Wednesday morning and if we're lucky we'll pick up the visa that afternoon, so much faster than the INS I couldn't believe it!

Thanks,
Matt & Nicola
Old Apr 30th 2002, 10:40 am
Jb

Default Re: UK forms

timiny74 wrote:
    >
    > Sorry to write about this on this forum but I don't know of a UK Immigration forum
    > and I think some of you may have gone through this. We're filling out the IM2B
    > Application for Settlement form. Nicola & I

You may be able to get more information about this in misc.immigration.misc. Some
people who read that group have done what you are trying to do.

Can you call the British consulate and ask them your questions? If they don't accept
calls what about email or a real letter (with SAE)?

Old Apr 30th 2002, 12:10 pm
Andy Platt

"timiny74" <[email protected]> wrote:

Off to live in old blighty, Matt!

My guess is that although it says "in the UK" you should just take it to mean
"Nicola, whereever she lives". Put the US address, say you live together and, yes, I
guess "other". Of course, your guesses are as good as mine!

> There are some questions about my sponsor and my work prospects. Is it ok to say
    > that we'll be interviewing when we get to the UK? Or must we both have jobs before
    > we even get there?
    > B4. What will be the estimated monthly income of the household when you arrive in
    > the UK? I suppose we just guess based on what we think our salaries will be?

The sponsor's requirements for the UK are not as cut & dry as for the US so I would
hope that so long as you both show that you've been gainfully employed for years here
(and presumably Nicola was employed before she came over here) you should be fine. At
least the embassy is (a) close to you and
(b) supposed to be pretty helpful so I doubt you'll run into difficulties.

I take it you've found this site:

http://www.velvet.net/bliss/ukguide/

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Apr 30th 2002, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies, I'll check out misc.immigration.misc.
Yes, off to Blighty (why is it called that??)
I'm assuming that sponsor on the British forms don't mean the same as on the US ones, as in financial sponsor, but instead refer to the actual fiancee or spouse.
I'll pose my questions on that other group if I can get to it. Andy, that does seem to make sense in regards to simply putting our address for the sponsor's address since she lives with me here.
I also assume that they're not as strict about passport photos as the INS since they don't have a particular specification sheet or information on exactly how it should look. I know the paper, the angle of the head, hair, etc. were all very important in INS photos.

It seems like they're a bit more lenient, not wanting as much. they say that if your spouse appears in person for the visa then it's not necessary to have a letter stating that they support your application and plan to live together in the UK. This is pretty much essential with INS if I remember.
I did check out the American Chick's guide to UK IND but it doesn't have any info on IM2B really or info on both spouses living in the US and moving to the UK.

Thanks!
Matt
Old Apr 30th 2002, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

When we went through this process, we were both living in the US. Although I can't remember what responses we gave, it really wasn't a problem. The visa was issued same day with no additional questions asked.

Although we both had jobs to go to in the UK (it was a inter-company transfer), we did not have any accomodation. We stayed in a hotel for a couple of weeks and then moved into rented accomodation.

All you can do is answer the questions truthfully, even if the answers seem a little silly. So you can put down today's date for the last time you met the sponsor etc. It will be evident to the consulate that your circumstances are bona fide.
Old Apr 30th 2002, 5:40 pm
S.M.

Folks The best thing to do would be give them a call before you get there. The
details are on http://www.britainusa.com/visas/dc.asp The list of all the stuff you
need in here http://www.britainusa.com/visas/guid...ent_Spouse.asp

B1 - None as you don't have an address in the UK B2 - I would put presently living
together, or whatever your living situation is. B3 - From the web-site above you
would need a letter from your relatives who will be putting you up and also evidence
that they own or rent their house,
ie. mortgage papers or a rental agreement (If you plan to stay temporarily with
relatives or friends we require a letter from them giving their consent to this
arrangement. In addition evidence in the form of (a), (b), (c) or
(j) that they have suitable temporary accommodation available for you and your
dependants. )

B4 - Have you any jod offers or interviews? Any evidence like this may help.

You can get the INF4 form on this page
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...elerate/ShowPa
ge&c=Page&cid=1018721067257&to=true

or by choosing INF4 (spouses) from this page:
http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...elerate/ShowPa
ge&c=Page&cid=1014919208354

hope this helps
j.A.

"timiny74" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Sorry to write about this on this forum but I don't know of a UK Immigration forum
    > and I think some of you may have gone through this. We're filling out the IM2B
    > Application for Settlement form. Nicola & I both live in Virginia so we're gonna go
    > to the embassy so that I can get the spousal visa. The only problem is, all of
    > these questions seem to assume that she lives in the UK. I'll give some examples:
    > B1. What is the name and present address of your sponsor in the UK? She doesn't
    > live in the UK...
    >
    > B2. When did you last meet the sponsor? Uhh about half an hour ago when she went to
    > bed.
    >
    > B3. For the accommodation where you will live, please state: OWNED by the sponsor
    > RENTED by the sponsor OCCUPIED on some other basis - I guess this one as we'll
    > be staying at her mother's house initially?
    >
    > There are some questions about my sponsor and my work prospects. Is it ok to say
    > that we'll be interviewing when we get to the UK? Or must we both have jobs before
    > we even get there?
    > B4. What will be the estimated monthly income of the household when you arrive in
    > the UK? I suppose we just guess based on what we think our salaries will be?
    >
    >
    > Thanks to anyone who might be able to help us. The form says there is an INF 4
    > leaflet that should give us guidance but it doesn't tell me jack about any of this.
    > We're hoping to go to the embassy Wednesday morning and if we're lucky we'll pick
    > up the visa that afternoon, so much faster than the INS I couldn't believe it!
    >
    > Thanks, Matt & Nicola
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 30th 2002, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Do you think that a letter from her mother signed, dated, etc. would be enough to show where we'll be living or would we actually need to get a copy of the deed to her house? I guess we'll find out when we go in there. I tried to call the embassy number but they were closed. I tried the NYC visa section and they were open but when I tried to reach an operator no one answered, how lousy!
I guess we'll just state that we live together in the US and state that we'll be following up on jobs when we get to the UK.