Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Is the UK that far advanced?

Is the UK that far advanced?

Old Nov 23rd 2006, 1:22 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the UK that far advanced?

Originally Posted by Old William
I guess they do.. I'm not an F1 fan but Sky Sports is excellent for most things. Have a gander at their webby: http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/home
I vaguely remember the F1 launching its own channel on sky with the multiple views, etc but you had to pay extra for that.
The bog standard races were on itv and you have the always excellent radio 5 for comms too.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
When I left it was a sort of late 70's early 80's type thing. :scared:
I left London in late 2001 and never noticed all that until I got to Australia.
Also, it had a more surfy slant over here, it was here I first saw the spikey haircuts - on men!

When I returned to the UK, I noticed it all over there too.

So, either Australia is not too far behind or, and I think this is the key, the people I met in Australia that year were a lot younger - and trendier!.

It's a look I don't really like - and in it's extreme australian suburban flavour with 'Katha and Kim' added on to it, I hate it.

S
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I left London in late 2001 and never noticed all that until I got to Australia.
Also, it had a more surfy slant over here, it was here I first saw the spikey haircuts - on men!

When I returned to the UK, I noticed it all over there too.

So, either Australia is not too far behind or, and I think this is the key, the people I met in Australia that year were a lot younger - and trendier!.

It's a look I don't really like - and in it's extreme australian suburban flavour with 'Katha and Kim' added on to it, I hate it.

S

People tell me that I have no fashion sense, I usually say Thank God for that

Give me comfy any day
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:12 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Me neither! More of a hippy chick thing going on with me. 70's throw-back some might say!!

Hipster jeans? What? Muffin tops and stretch marks don't exactly go with that look! (close your eyes boys!)

Wish they'd bring back 80's high-waisted jeans, sucks it all in nicely!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Me neither! More of a hippy chick thing going on with me. 70's throw-back some might say!!

Hipster jeans? What? Muffin tops and stretch marks don't exactly go with that look! (close your eyes boys!)

Well I recall you looking pretty good - hardly any weight on you for a Mum of 2. I've never heard a woman on here admit to being slim!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, can't be doing with the muffin top thing :scared: After 3 kids and a crap thyroid I really do need to keep it covered.

Just wish everyone else with a bit of flab had the same thought.

Badge, I'd admit to be slim, but I'd be lying. I'm not huge, but I do have a few spare tyres.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Glad that it's not just me

My girls here don't follow a fashion like most of the locals. I do think that they will feel a little out of sorts for the first few weeks. My eldest is 10 and still plays with her doll and believes in fairies. My youngest at 6 plays with the boys and the middle one doesn't give a rats arse about what anybody thinks of her. She wears what she likes and boy does she have an eccentric taste at times
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
I remember when I came out to Australia I was shocked at how far behind they were with regards to the internet. Now reading the papers I realise that the UK seems much further advanced with a lot of technology and they are leading the way for many things including the latest phone faze. They are ahead of America in many aspects as well.

Am I going to find that they are ahead in fashion? Will my girls clothes seem out of date? Are movies screened earlier in England? What is the latest T.V / digital and what can we expect if we use digital T.V. Are the terrestrial channels 1 to 5 still the same with 5 showing all the cheap shows and re-runs and 2 showing the black and white movies?

What is the latest faze for kids. Here my youngest is into Pokemon and she would like to know if they trade in primary schools there?

You can access Sky digital via the internet and a slingbox now, I dont know anyone that is doing it, but it is definitely possible.

What you need is a slingbox... in the UK, and a fast broadband connection, so if you have family there, they would probably need to get a second sky connection connected to one of these http://www.slingmedia.com/indexa.php and voila... It should work out cheaper than a connection to foxtel from here. It wont be long before any cable system in the world will be accessible via the net as a matter of course.

Next year, very early on the 3 telephone network are going to revolutionise the way we use telephones, especially for O'seas calls, inasmuch as mobile calls to foreign shores will travel down the Skype network, plus access fully, ones home computer and every "readable" function that the computer has.
The system will be called the xsystem, and is being rolled out to compete with telstras next G network.

Everything that is digitised and part of the electronic media anywhere in the world is available in Australia now, you just need to know how to go about it.

Australia also has a far higher ratio of PC ownership than the uk, and with the ADSL 2 network now reaching close to 50 pct of homes in the cities (thats 24,000 KBS) I'd say its catching up on the speed.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 5:24 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tracey!! don't forget we must catch up where we left off

To the OP.......YES things are way behind, absolutley everything you can think off is years behind, it is frustrating but you get used to it.

Oz gets everything Last. Movies that were on 6 months ago in the UK are only just about coming out now!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Hi Tracey!! don't forget we must catch up where we left off

To the OP.......YES things are way behind, absolutley everything you can think off is years behind, it is frustrating but you get used to it.

Oz gets everything Last. Movies that were on 6 months ago in the UK are only just about coming out now!
My concern is that I am way too used to it and it will come as a shock when I return.
Ozzie-eagle...
Looks like after 3 years here technology is going to hit Melbourne. Typical that I am leaving in 3 weeks
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My concern is that I am way too used to it and it will come as a shock when I return.
Never! You'll be fine.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
Its the stone age in OZ, once your back in the UK you will feel like a cave man transported through time into the modern world, you won't understand how anything works and people will treat you like your retarded.
This is just what we are looking for old fashioned values. I knew nothing about boys, make up, fashion or music until I was 12-13 and spent my childhood (I'm 40 this year :scared: ) with friends, dogs and horses and enjoyed every minute
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Ozzie-eagle...
Looks like after 3 years here technology is going to hit Melbourne. Typical that I am leaving in 3 weeks
It shouldn't be too much of a shock, but you certainly notice it when returning. I now realize just how boring my wardrobe had become in the US. Spent £40 in Next on Saturday and £65 in Topman today, and I'm only just getting started! It's going to be awful when I have to spend money on stuff like rent instead.

I love my Freeview. 20 or more channels absolutely free to air, so long as you have a box. There is even a free Sky package that is similar!

Absolutely love being back; I was driving along the M25 on the way home from work today at 80mph (yes, during rush hour) smiling and chuckling to myself about everything. It's just not right to be that happy on the M25.
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:36 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Always21]I was driving along the M25 on the way home from work today at 80mph (yes, during rush hour) QUOTE]

well if you use the hard shoulder of course it'll be easy to do 80!!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=islandmom]
Originally Posted by Always21
I was driving along the M25 on the way home from work today at 80mph (yes, during rush hour) QUOTE]

well if you use the hard shoulder of course it'll be easy to do 80!!
Oh, was I not supposed to do that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.