Wikiposts

UK Driving Licence

Old Jul 9th 2013, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Driving Licence

Unfortunately the previous thread was locked.
But there seems to be a misunderstanding about expiring UK licences (not licenses :-) )

You can hold a UK driving licence when you are not a UK resident. You cannot, should not try to, and need not register a change of address to a non-UK address.

Though you can hold a UK driving licence you cannot renew a UK driving licence when you are not a UK resident. It is EU law and binds the UK.

Driving licences do not expire and do not new to be renewed until you reach 70 years. But the photo does expire and that cannot be renewed as a non-UK resident either. It is an offence to drive on an otherwise valid licence with an expired photo part.

You can renew the photo years later when you are, once again, a UK resident. However there is a fine for not having renewed the photo on time. You have to pay the fine, but you don't lose the driving privileges, don't have to take the test anew.

That's how I understand the law from personal experience. I could be wrong and the law may change in the future.

Last edited by holly_1948; Jul 9th 2013 at 7:32 am.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Driving Licence

This is a copy of an email I received from the DVLA a while ago.

"I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is nor longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence.

Changes to British legislation resulting in the implementation of the Second EC Directive on Driving Licences (91/439/EEC) since 1 January 1997, have required that driving licences are granted only to drivers who are resident in this country.

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this response then please use our Reply Form or copy and paste the following URL in to your browser:

https://emaildvla.direct.gov.uk/emai...m_drivers.html

When filling in the form the email reference number 480448 will be required."

Why anyone would renew their UK DL when they are not a UK residents baffles me. For a start if they used it to rent or drive a car they are probably not insured. Much easier just to use the DL of the country you live in.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
... [I]"I am sorry but it is not possible for an individual who is a UK citizen but is nor longer resident in the UK to apply for a further driving licence. ...
Why anyone would renew their UK DL when they are not a UK residents baffles me. ...
The first part is true. But people confuse renewing DL photo with applying for a further driving licence.

And the reason why they want to keep the licence is because they plan on returning one day, if only in retirement. Or want to keep that option open.
And can't get an exchange licence on return because they presently live in a "drive on the right" country outside Europe.

But, like I wrote, you can't renew the photo and you don't need to. What you do need to do is to keep that old licence safely tucked away and not use it. Or at the very least know what your UK Driver Number was and be able to quote it.

Last edited by holly_1948; Jul 9th 2013 at 9:43 am.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 9:47 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
The first part is true. But people confuse renewing DL photo with applying for a further driving licence.

And the reason why they want to keep the licence is because they plan on returning one day, if only in retirement. Or want to keep that option open.
And can't get an exchange licence on return because they presently live in a "drive on the right" country outside Europe.

But, like I wrote, you can't renew the photo and you don't need to. What you do need to do is to keep that old licence safe. Or at the very least know what your UK Driver Number was and be able to quote it.
It's the paper part that is the legal licence, the photo part just shows you have a UK licence, any convictions, points etc are recorded on the paper part, and that's why the police have to check the PNC if you have committed a driving offence. Just keep the paper licence safe, and when you return to the UK just send that to the DVLA with the correct form and photo, and get a photo licence issued. If you are past the expiry date of the paper licence you will need to prove your eyesight is up to scratch.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:04 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about the legalities, but I know my UK licence has an out of date address, so I assume it is "invalid", and I cannot get it updated with a non-uk address (paper or plastic).

I posit that the driver number remains valid till 70 year old, but the licence would present a problem (only) in the event of a police encounter or an insurance claim.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 1:45 pm
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, what happens in the UK when a person reaches 70 and has to renew?

Do they have to re-sit a test or is it just eye tests and medicals etc?
Old Jul 9th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
Out of curiosity, what happens in the UK when a person reaches 70 and has to renew?

Good question. My folks passed 70 a couple of years back - have not heard anything about it.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RICH
Not sure about the legalities, but I know my UK licence has an out of date address, so I assume it is "invalid", and I cannot get it updated with a non-uk address (paper or plastic). ...
You can't and don't need to update the address until you resume UK residence. And then you should, without delay, with your new UK address as soon as you have one, even if only temporary. It's an offence not to let them know your new address, but only when you are (again) a resident.
And while you are not a resident you should not actually be driving on your UK licence.
If the photo has expired while you are away then on return you will have to pay an extra fee (or fine) for not renewing on time (even though you are not allowed to renew on time).
Actually the UK is pretty generous allowing you to keep your licence while away, but you should not be driving on it as it does not show a valid address (except possibly if you kept your UK home as a holiday home, I'm not sure about that). In any case you cannot renew either licence or photo if you are not a resident even though you can keep them unrenewed.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:16 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee

AFAIK, they just need a medical and eyesight test, nothing rigorous at all, almost impossible NOT to pass. just had a search, just a simple eyesight test.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

we returned to the UK in Feb with expired photo card which no hire company or insurance company would warrant until we renewed if cost us a photo and £20 admin fee each in the mean time we used our NZ licence which we could for 12 months
Old Jul 9th 2013, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It's the paper part that is the legal licence, the photo part just shows you have a UK licence
The paper counterpart of the licence is being scrapped in the next year or two.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:38 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
You can't and don't need to update the address until you resume UK residence. And then you should, without delay, with your new UK address as soon as you have one, even if only temporary. It's an offence not to let them know your new address, but only when you are (again) a resident.
And while you are not a resident you should not actually be driving on your UK licence.
If the photo has expired while you are away then on return you will have to pay an extra fee (or fine) for not renewing on time (even though you are not allowed to renew on time).
Actually the UK is pretty generous allowing you to keep your licence while away, but you should not be driving on it as it does not show a valid address (except possibly if you kept your UK home as a holiday home, I'm not sure about that). In any case you cannot renew either licence or photo if you are not a resident even though you can keep them unrenewed.
I left the UK in 1991. Back then, there was no photo card component, just the paper licence valid to age 70, which replaced the old style pasteboard licenses that were managed by the county, in the old days.

Historical note; my grandfather, who was born in South Shields in 1897, had a driving licence issued by County Durham in about 1922. He was a ships captain then lived in Egypt from 1930 to 1950, but he always managed to visit his brother in law in Gateshead every three years to renew the licence at that address, even though he hadn't lived in County Durham in decades. So the history of folks renewing British licenses at addresses where they don't live is a long one!
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by robin1234
Historical note; my grandfather, who was born in South Shields in 1897, had a driving licence issued by County Durham in about 1922. He was a ships captain then lived in Egypt from 1930 to 1950, but he always managed to visit his brother in law in Gateshead every three years to renew the licence at that address, even though he hadn't lived in County Durham in decades. So the history of folks renewing British licenses at addresses where they don't live is a long one!
Interesting story.
My family legend is that my grandfather, who was in poor health ever after being injured in a gas attack in the trenches in the First World War could not get a job on civvy street. So he used what cash he had to buy a horse and cart and started a haulage business, initially buying sawdust at the sawmill in Liverpool and selling it by the sackful to butchers in Wallasey.
In time the business grew to include diesel lorries as well as horse and dray and his sons took on the driving. The old man obtained a driving licence in the 1920s and even bought a car, but he was a menace on the roads due to poor eyesight and almost always had his sons do the driving.
But when it was time for his third son to start driving lorries, by then the driving test had been introduced (the old man had never had to take a test). After the son repeatedly failed the driving test the old man just gave his licence to his son because their names were the same.
When the son got conscripted into the army in 1940 he was immediately made an army lorry driver for obvious reasons. He still had that old licence on him when he was killed at the battle of Monte Cassino.