Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Degree Accredited by US University

UK Degree Accredited by US University

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:04 am
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Degree Accredited by US University

Well, before the OH even gets the NOA2 for the K1 visa application, I have found myself a job. The OH's friend works for a software company, and he gave a copy of my CV to his boss.

A comment came back that I need to have my degree accredited by a US University.

Now, I've read many a post about a UK degree being evaluated by this wes.org and a statement being created to show what it's worth, but not about the degree actually being accredited by a US university.

Does anyone have any experience of this, or know where I need to look to get this sort of thing done?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 4:57 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Degree Accredited by US University

Originally Posted by Knight
Well, before the OH even gets the NOA2 for the K1 visa application, I have found myself a job. The OH's friend works for a software company, and he gave a copy of my CV to his boss.

A comment came back that I need to have my degree accredited by a US University.

Now, I've read many a post about a UK degree being evaluated by this wes.org and a statement being created to show what it's worth, but not about the degree actually being accredited by a US university.

Does anyone have any experience of this, or know where I need to look to get this sort of thing done?
You could contact the largest of the State universities in the state you will be living in and ask for their opinion. Or contact someone in the Board of education for the state.

He may just have meant for you to have it accredited by wes but didn't really know quite who would do it and so used the wrong words.

Often Americans don't have to deal with the world outside the US and so don't know where to start. That isn't meant to be mean, it's just the way it is sometimes.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 5:03 pm
Twice half his height

Knight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond reputeKnight has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent an email off to Mississippi State University, and was told my email asking for help had been passed on to some office of academic affairs, so I'll post back for information if I hear anything worth sharing.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

The "boss" is putting himself at risk for discriminating against candidates. The only criteria for having such a degree is getting a US degree either in the US or a US academic institution's satellite campus overseas.

Can you communicate with the "boss" yourself? You should ask if you may get your degree accredited by WES or a similar company. Bear in mind, anyone can set up a business offering accreditation so you may not necessarily be satisfied with the result.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 5:24 pm
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by Celsius
The "boss" is putting himself at risk for discriminating against candidates. The only criteria for having such a degree is getting a US degree either in the US or a US academic institution's satellite campus overseas.

Can you communicate with the "boss" yourself? You should ask if you may get your degree accredited by WES or a similar company. Bear in mind, anyone can set up a business offering accreditation so you may not necessarily be satisfied with the result.
I thought that WES did was only show the degrees worth by US standards, where as I understood accreditation was to get my degree approved by a university here, not just some organisation who evaluates it.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that WES did was only show the degrees worth by US standards, where as I understood accreditation was to get my degree approved by a university here, not just some organisation who evaluates it.
could get US consulate in London to do a stampy certify it's a real jobby in London...a few other countries require that kind of hassle for work visa's, but I doubt that's what they are really looking for...perhaps they want to see a course breakdown to see what was actually studied?

Best to ask the company exactly what they want otherwise it's a waste of time and money.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:15 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
He may just have meant for you to have it accredited by wes but didn't really know quite who would do it and so used the wrong words.

Often Americans don't have to deal with the world outside the US and so don't know where to start. That isn't meant to be mean, it's just the way it is sometimes.
To be honest, this is probably what happened. I'd check with them first and see if this is what they really want. You can explain the process and say that groups like Wee or whatever are the ones who usually do this. They probably haven't come across something like this much before which is why they said 'accredited university' or something.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

markhawksley is an unknown quantity at this point

I go my UK degree at Keele Universtiy, and had a company here called Educational Credential Evaluators convert my transcripts in their US equivalents. I've had no problems getting my teaching license here in Nevada using this evaluation report

http://www.ece.org/

I know your situation is different, but I'd follow the advice of one poster and make sure your company knows what the evaluation is.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:46 pm
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by penguinsix
To be honest, this is probably what happened. I'd check with them first and see if this is what they really want. You can explain the process and say that groups like Wee or whatever are the ones who usually do this. They probably haven't come across something like this much before which is why they said 'accredited university' or something.
Just had an IM back from the guy at the company.

"bill said that they will need to determine what your pretend british degree is equivalent to in the 'real world'"

So, I assume it's just what my degree is worth, not actual US University accreditation. Sounds like wes.org is going to be the way to go.

Does anyone have any idea roughly what a 3 year BSc Computer Science degree is going to be worth? Just a normal Bachelors degree there?

wes.org does an trial evaluation for $20, is it worth doing?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Just had an IM back from the guy at the company.

"bill said that they will need to determine what your pretend british degree is equivalent to in the 'real world'"
With that kind of attitude, are you sure you'd want anything to do with them? I'd be inclined to tell them to piss off.

But you'll probably find that your degree is equivalent to a masters.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

According to ECE, my normal 3 year BSc Hons from Keele, UK, is equivalent to a 4 year bachelor's degree from an American university. I think so long you went to a 'proper' UK university and got a semi decent degree class (I got a 2:2) you should be fine. Your 'US Major' will be the subject you studied at university.

As for the trial, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Just get the full evaluation, and make sure whether you need a "document by document" or "course by course"-the fees are different.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
With that kind of attitude, are you sure you'd want anything to do with them? I'd be inclined to tell them to piss off.

A standard three year degree is the same as US four year degree, not a masters.

As for the attitude, I agree. Maybe you should tell them it takes 3 years for a British university to teach what an American university takes 4 years to teach
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:06 pm
Twice half his height

Originally Posted by Bob

Oh, sorry, I probably shouldn't have posted it word for word, that was in jest, we were in the middle of a sarcastic argument, it's not an accurate reflection of feelings

But if my degree is equivalent to a Masters, that's cool. Would the Honours on a British degree matter? I am trying to decide if I should keep doing for the honours, or call it a day and settle with a normal BSc.

I am not sure what my classification is yet, and my university is Thames Valley University, not exactly a prestigious establishment, but it was free so who I am to complain!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

I'd try to get an honours degree if you possibly can. The evaluators will give you a 'GPA' -grade point average on a scale of 1 (poor) to 4 (best) using your module grades-exams, essays etc. Your GPA is important in America so trying to get the best one you can is also important.

It sounds like Thames Valley is a proper UK University so you should be fine.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 3:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

West London Poly as was.

Very ethnic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.