UK crime falling

Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

LizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to allLizaJane is a name known to all
Default Re: UK crime falling

Originally Posted by cricket1
I honestly believe crime is an opportunists occupation mostly. If you provide an opportunity, they will take it. Hence people who live in certain areas, are security conscious, and don't put themselves in a position where a crime can happen, they are more likely to avoid it.

I think the best way to reduce crime is to think about how we can look after our own personal safety. Insurance usually takes care of material things but us, our own personal self, well I tend to think we all have to the smart thing and make sure we do all we can to limit any crime towards ourselves.
That's my own personal attitude.

I shudder when I see half dressed women walking late at night on their own or even with a friend. I mean come on, how sensible would it be to not look quite so obvious?
I know we shouldn't have to hide ourselves but crime is out there so maybe not drawing any attention is a good defence mechanism.

I have never known so much theft as here on the Coast. One of my customers was sat in her lounge watching TV when someone ransacked her home. The kids had the TV turned up loud so no one heard anyone open the back door. Houses here are quite large so it's easy not to hear anyone making an entrance. That was 2 weeks ago.

Then last week, my best friend was sat watching TV and the dogs suddenly went off hurtling down a very long corridor towards the kitchen. Her husband had gone to bed early but woke up to the dogs barking. They both soon realised that someone had seen their mobile phones and car keys lying on the kitchen bench and they'd expertly propped open the patio door, to make a quick escape, then cut a hole through the security mesh, turned the key (shouldn't leave keys in doors) and voila, they grabbed everything and ran. Police were called but they'd long gone.

If they hadn't left phones and keys in view or the key in the lock, the theft probably wouldn't have happened.

I keep my phones, keys, cash and handbag all upstairs in a locked room. Plus I keep the blinds where our plasma screen and hi fi equipment are on show almost closed so if anyone looks in the window, they can't see them.
I agree with you, people do have to be more responsible and self aware. Fine we should be able to do as we please, live how we want and dress which ever way takes our fancy but at the end of the day thats the ideal and someone out there will always take advantage.

Don't give them reasons or help to make crimes easier, try and minimise the risks etc. whether that is with your property or your person.

I am the same I don't leave out keys, phones, bags that can be seen especially from outside, I don't have a jewellery box and I check every window and door everynight etc. I also don't leave out scissors or knives etc, not even in the sink...people laugh, but shit happens!

I haven't lived in mainland UK for 15 years and was bought up in a very 'nice' part of London, but London none the less, I guess old habits die hard.

My parents had bars on some downstairs windows and great big wooden georgian shutters with iron bolts and they were used and that is going back to the 70's/80's. They didin't want their antiques and fine art touched so made damn sure nobody could get it out.

We were broken into once in the early 80's only jewellery was taken because they could not get out of any doors or windows with larger items. The only room not touched was my brothers room (he was 8yrs at the time) hence why no jewellery box now. we know it was someone we knew because they had the alarm access.

We also had a woman jump into our front garden in the middle of the night because she was being chased down the road by a guy with a knife. Apparently she had accepted a lift from this kind stranger who was in the pub where she had been out with mates!!! please.

My brother was attacked while waiting for a cab to arrive outside Kings X at 2am, in the early 90's. He left them worse off, so wouldn't go to police but he had broken both hands...

Again in the 90's a friend of a friend was stabbed through the eye and died while waiting for a tube.

In the early 80's another friend was walking along the enbankment in the middle of the night with his rather large 'ghetto blaster' (it was the 80'sremember) and wouldn't give it to 2 kids so they stabbed him.

Sometimes it is 'wrong place, wrong time', knowing the 'wrong' people, some preventable, some not surprising, but none are acceptable, but sadly these crimes have always been there. Though they do seem to be more wide spread and in your face now, especially violent crimes.

We must do all we can to protect ourselves and our loved ones. We must be aware of the horrors but also live normal lives.

We are moving back and it completely freaks me that I will be exposing my kids to a very ugly side of life...but weighing up the pros and cons...life is for living and I still think UK has a lot to offer.

Last edited by LizaJane; Jul 21st 2008 at 7:22 am. Reason: spelling