UK crime falling

Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK crime falling

Originally Posted by Bevm
Can you point to a source for these? I thought doctors and hospitals were required to report injuries that they suspect are criminal.

There's also the aspect of who's getting injured. Though it's better if no one is, in Canada most of the violence is between criminals and members of the public minding their own business only get injured by accident.

But there certainly have been random acts of violence over here. It's usually a gang of teenagers showing off, or proving something to a gang, or a druggie imagining an insult or reacting to the demons in their head.

There's been a lot of success in places by playing classical music. Twisted minds don't seem to be able to bear it and scuttle off into their holes. A nice bit of Bach in the Tesco parking lot. That's what's needed!

Bev
Canada is such a huge country, someone living in BC wouldn't know what was going on crimewise in say Montreal as they are 3000 miles apart, and the papers certainly won't report it, this gives the feeling that there is less violent crime in Canada, also good and bad areas are often much further apart.

Unfortunately the innocent bystanders are unharmed rules don't apply in this part of Canada. Noted for example by home invasions, the brutality of which are sickening. Such crimes would be plastered over the Daily Mail every week, which is how regularly they happen here. People beaten senseless and tied up in there own homes.

Whilst it's true stabbing may not be as common, this is more than made up for by shootings. None of these crimes seems to get more than a small paragraph in the local rag. Contrast this to the British Media's hysteria, no wonder people think the UK is going to shite.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Canada is such a huge country, someone living in BC wouldn't know what was going on crimewise in say Montreal as they are 3000 miles apart, and the papers certainly won't report it, this gives the feeling that there is less violent crime in Canada, also good and bad areas are often much further apart.

Unfortunately the innocent bystanders are unharmed rules don't apply in this part of Canada. Noted for example by home invasions, the brutality of which are sickening. Such crimes would be plastered over the Daily Mail every week, which is how regularly they happen here. People beaten senseless and tied up in there own homes.

Whilst it's true stabbing may not be as common, this is more than made up for by shootings. None of these crimes seems to get more than a small paragraph in the local rag. Contrast this to the British Media's hysteria, no wonder people think the UK is going to shite.
Stabbings are more common in Australia than in the UK, as well (only just). Also, "home invasions" are MUCH more common there. I think rather than this being because of an inherent criminal delinquency in Australians the reason is the weather. British houses are all like hermetically sealed boxes with their quadruple glazing, and five-inch thick UPVC doors, but in Australia I notice a lot of the doors and windows are quite poorly secured and also the heat causes people to leave them open a lot.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:45 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Tableland;6584291]
Originally Posted by Crayfish

But this is a "biased sample" because you are British, also you have been immersed in a pacifist culture. To make this comparison objective you would have to hang around The Red Lion in Scumton at 11pm with an Australian rugby top on and start talking about how the poms were dickheads.

Just kidding.
Australian youths are just as prone to violence as any in the UK.

Just look at thne amount of drunken violence in 'quiet' 'idyllic' country towns such as Byron Bay.

Even Rex Hunt and his son were beaten up there a few years ago.......by drunken youths.

It can happen anywhere

G
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Crayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Tableland;6584291]

But this is a "biased sample" because you are British, also you have been immersed in a pacifist culture. To make this comparison objective you would have to hang around The Red Lion in Scumton at 11pm with an Australian rugby top on and start talking about how the poms were dickheads.

Just kidding.
Actually, I'm half Swedish (but speak English with a southern English accent) so I am indeed unbiased. Aussies and yanks are definitely, in my opinion, more prone to violence than English people. They are also ruder and more stuck up. Noone's doubting that there are arseholes in the UK though...
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

Also the UK has twice the population of Canada and 3 times that of Australia so of course there will be a higher number of crimes in the UK
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Crayfish;6584332]
Originally Posted by Tableland

Actually, I'm half Swedish (but speak English with a southern English accent) so I am indeed unbiased. Aussies and yanks are definitely, in my opinion, more prone to violence than English people. They are also ruder and more stuck up. Noone's doubting that there are arseholes in the UK though...
I'm not sure I would agree with this generalisation. It's all about areas, isn't it? There are nice areas with educated folk like us, and there are scumbag areas with proles, chavs and bogans.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:05 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
I'm not a fan of the Conservatives, but I don't think Labour will survive another term.
I agree. That buffon, Boris Johnson becoming mayor is the first indication.

Frankie Boyle on tv last night talking about £3 million being planned on Thatchers state funeral. He said they should buy every Scottish person a spade and then they could dig a massive hole and personally deliver her to Satan.

Last edited by Londonuck; Jul 18th 2008 at 10:09 am.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Londonuck
As a life long Labour voter i got to say i dont think Labour will win. That buffon, Boris Johnson becoming mayor is the first indication.
Labour way too behind in the polls. Desperately unpopular leader. Tories win not one but two by-elections. Tory gets mayor of London.

It doesn't take a sephologist to see which way the wind is blowing.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Crayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud ofCrayfish has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Tableland;6584344]

I'm not sure I would agree with this generalisation. It's all about areas, isn't it? There are nice areas with educated folk like us, and there are scumbag areas with proles, chavs and bogans.
You're absolutely right, but there are more arseholes in Oz than in UK

Of course there are nice aussies though- I met one once
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
That buffon, Boris Johnson becoming mayor is the first indication.
Mind you....his performance so far is also an indication of how the tories are likely to behave in office.

Will give labour a term to regroup.

G
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Crayfish;6584366]

You're absolutely right, but there are more arseholes in Oz than in UK
When people put this kind of thing in their posts it just diminishes their argument, I'm afraid.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:13 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Grayling;6584316]

Australian youths are just as prone to violence as any in the UK.

Just look at thne amount of drunken violence in 'quiet' 'idyllic' country towns such as Byron Bay.

Even Rex Hunt and his son were beaten up there a few years ago.......by drunken youths.

It can happen anywhere

G

Byrons always had a bit of rep though hasnt it? I remember when i stayed there ('92) i was told to be careful. Aussie blokes always seemed to want to ruck at any chance. One bloke asked me outside a pub in Sydney. He spilt my beers i was carrying when he walked into me. He already had two black eyes and a nasty cut over his eye. I said to him, you've obviously said that a bit too often mate. He laughed and walked on.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Tableland;6584373]

When people put this kind of thing in their posts it just diminishes their argument, I'm afraid.
Don't worry mate, comment made firmly tongue in cheek. To be honest, my experience of aussies whilst spending just over half a year there was not particularly positive. My friends had the same perception of the locals as I did, so I don't think it was because I was oversensitive to anything. In fact, I'm quite thick skinned. Maybe I was unlucky with the people I met, who knows... apologies if I offended anyone.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:15 am
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by Grayling
Mind you....his performance so far is also an indication of how the tories are likely to behave in office.

G
I will get down to hard work straight away, promised Boris.

He then went on a two week holiday to Turkey.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Why doesn't Gordon Brown give it up as a bad job right now, call an election, knowing that the economy is going to be down the toilet for at least a few years, let the Tories deal with it. Lets see how popular they are after 2 more years of rising prices and falling incomes.

If Labour carries on for the next 2 years they will be unelectable for a decade, if Labour bows out now at least they might have half a chance 5 years down the line

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.