UK crime falling

Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:43 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK crime falling

Originally Posted by Tableland
I thought your avatar looked like a Rockwell portrait.
It is Alfred E. Neuman.

The face of MAD magazine

G
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Workchoices was ridiculous, and I can't believe he pressed it. .
Indeed, it simply illustrated how out of touch with the people (economic units ) he had become.

It is inherent to the system, irrespective of colour or ideology. They rise. They promise. They get to power. They start to deliver. They stop delivering. They lie. They disappoint. They get voted out.
You are so right.

Shall we set up our own BE branch of Cynics Anonymous?!!!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Shall we set up our own BE branch of Cynics Anonymous?!!!
It exists in all but name............
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Family5 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by elfman
I'm sure this will attract the attention of the usual sad UK-bashers and Daily Wail readers eager to claim stuff about government lies and cover-ups, but still, here it is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7511192.stm

some highlights:

Police-recorded crime in England and Wales fell 9% in the 12 months to March, latest figures suggest. The first-ever reliable figures for knife crime showed there were 22,000 offences last year. They also show that while the risk of being a victim is at its lowest ever level, people still think that the rate is going up. (so not 64,000 as someone posted recently)

The annual crime report for 2007-2008 reveals the longest recorded period of falling crime - down 48% from 1995. It shows there were five million recorded crimes. All the main categories were down, including violent crime and sex offences, but drug offences were up 18%, gun crime was up 2% and murder was up 3%.

The annual report combines police-recorded crime and statistics from the British Crime Survey (BCS), a victimisation survey in which adults living in private households are asked about their experiences of crimes. For the types it covers, the BCS can provide a better reflection of the true extent of crime because it includes ones that are not reported to the police and crimes which are not recorded by them.

The BCS showed the risk of being a victim of crime has fallen from 24 to 22%, the lowest level recorded since the survey began in 1981.
You have to focus on the words 'recorded crime'. i.e. the number of crimes reported and recorded by the police. Many many parts of the UK have no confidence in police performance and ability whatsoever, therefore victims no longer bother to report low level crime (which forms the bulk of crime statistics). This is cynically interpreted and promulgated by HM Gov as falling crime rates. Take a look at the difference between official home office figures for knife wounding etc and compare with NHS a&e figures for patients presenting with knife wounds!
You dont need to look at the papers or listen to politicians for evidence,just go into your neighbourhoods/town centres, especially at night and see the violent, drunken frightening level of the UKs social dysfunction. (Its a pity Politicians and senior police managers havent thought of seriously doing so yet. Token gestures apart)
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family5
You have to focus on the words 'recorded crime'. i.e. the number of crimes reported and recorded by the police. Many many parts of the UK have no confidence in police performance and ability whatsoever, therefore victims no longer bother to report low level crime (which forms the bulk of crime statistics). This is cynically interpreted and promulgated by HM Gov as falling crime rates. Take a look at the difference between official home office figures for knife wounding etc and compare with NHS a&e figures for patients presenting with knife wounds!
You dont need to look at the papers or listen to politicians for evidence,just go into your neighbourhoods/town centres, especially at night and see the violent, drunken frightening level of the UKs social dysfunction. (Its a pity Politicians and senior police managers havent thought of seriously doing so yet. Token gestures apart)
You need to read it more carefully

And I do go out, and with the exception of perhaps a new fashion being donned by said perpetrators I dont see it as any different than 10 or 15 years ago. I dont go out in shitty areas though, mind you, I never did.

Last edited by Tootsie Frickensprinkles; Jul 17th 2008 at 2:18 pm.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Spooky that! things havent got worse since this gov came to power? Dont think I need to comment further, do you?
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute

Spooky that! things havent got worse since this gov came to power? Dont think I need to comment further, do you?
Regardless of any party political bias, your intitial criticism of the stats is still incorrect.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:31 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Crimes are also reported by the media because they actually happen..
Er, right – nobody’s accusing the media of making up individual stories of violent crime – just the sensationalist and selective way these crimes are reported. Compare with: the other weekend I was leafing through the New York Times when at the bottom of page 12 was a short story about four people in Milwaukee (I think) being shot and killed in the street outside a party seemingly at random. I’m sure you’ll admit that would be reported somewhat differently in the UK press.

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Believe what you want. The UK has a serious violent crime problem.
Nobody’s denying the UK has a violent crime problem. The issue is that it probably isn’t as serious as many people seem to want to believe.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:35 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

You have to focus on the words 'recorded crime'. i.e. the number of crimes reported and recorded by the police. Many many parts of the UK have no confidence in police performance and ability whatsoever, therefore victims no longer bother to report low level crime (which forms the bulk of crime statistics).

And you have to actually read the article I linked to, which says that these statistics combine reported crime with the BCS:

The value of the BCS is that it can provide a better reflection of the true level of crime than police statistics since it includes crimes that have not been reported to, or recorded by, the police. The BCS estimates that only around half of all crime it measures is captured on police recorded crimes largely because people do not bother to report crimes because they think the crime was too trivial or the police couldn't do much about it. The BCS also provides a better measure of trends over time since it has adopted a consistent methodology and is unaffected by changes in reporting or recording practices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Crime_Survey

Like I said above, some people just seem to want to believe the worst.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

There are statistics, statistics and ----. (Dont forget dodgy dossiers, the presence of WMD et al) Interpretation is the privelidge of the individual. You say I am wrong, I know I am right. Let the many many good people of the UK decide. Thanks for the debate
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:36 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

You dont need to look at the papers or listen to politicians for evidence,just go into your neighbourhoods/town centres, especially at night and see the violent, drunken frightening level of the UKs social dysfunction.
Rubbish.....it is not like that where I live.

Perhaps you should move to a nicer area.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:41 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
I'm sure this will attract the attention of the usual sad UK-bashers and Daily Wail readers eager to claim stuff about government lies and cover-ups, but still, here it is:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7511192.stm

some highlights:

Police-recorded crime in England and Wales fell 9% in the 12 months to March, latest figures suggest. The first-ever reliable figures for knife crime showed there were 22,000 offences last year. They also show that while the risk of being a victim is at its lowest ever level, people still think that the rate is going up. (so not 64,000 as someone posted recently)

The annual crime report for 2007-2008 reveals the longest recorded period of falling crime - down 48% from 1995. It shows there were five million recorded crimes. All the main categories were down, including violent crime and sex offences, but drug offences were up 18%, gun crime was up 2% and murder was up 3%.

The annual report combines police-recorded crime and statistics from the British Crime Survey (BCS), a victimisation survey in which adults living in private households are asked about their experiences of crimes. For the types it covers, the BCS can provide a better reflection of the true extent of crime because it includes ones that are not reported to the police and crimes which are not recorded by them.

The BCS showed the risk of being a victim of crime has fallen from 24 to 22%, the lowest level recorded since the survey began in 1981.

Ironic... my work was burgled last night for 2nd time in 3 weeks. They'll be back for the replacement replacement computers soon.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:43 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

ooh dont tell me Thatcher wouldnt of stood for it blah blah blah...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
Rubbish.....it is not like that where I live.

Perhaps you should move to a nicer area.
Im pleased that you live in a nice area. So do I.

Thanks for the humerous advice to move home. The estate agents will be queuing up!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 3:08 pm
A lion in your lap

You say I am wrong, I know I am right.
if we all listen carefully, we might be able to hear family5 stamping his/her little foot when saying this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.