Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK CRB check for employment in UK

UK CRB check for employment in UK

Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:14 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK CRB check for employment in UK

Further to my other thread, I have now obtained a Police 'Good Conduct' Certificate from Dubai:

I will be applying for jobs which require a UK CRB check. Can anybody tell me:

1) Is it possible to initiate this from overseas via internet prior to arrival in UK?
2) If not, how do you do it in UK? How much does it cost? How long does it take?
3) I heard that you have to do a separate CRB check for each job you apply for. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any help
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:19 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK CRB check for employment in UK

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Further to my other thread, I have now obtained a Police 'Good Conduct' Certificate from Dubai:

1) Is it possible to initiate this from overseas via internet prior to arrival in UK?
2) If not, how do you do it in UK? How much does it cost? How long does it take?
3) I heard that you have to do a separate CRB check for each job you apply for. Is this correct?

https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barrin...check/overview

they are now called DBS checks - info at the link above
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:41 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

to add to post 2, I think it was covered in your last thread?

Teachers-Direct Recruitment - The UK Supply Teacher Agency
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 2:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Not too sure about the separate check, but the form isn't copyable, well it is, but it will show 'photocopy' in big letters across the certificate, well at least it did when I had mine done, we were warned that trying to copy it would produce that sort of copy.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 3:13 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked through the linked sites and seems to be that individuals can't apply for a DBS check anyway, so not possible to do prior to applying for jobs.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 3:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Just looked through the linked sites and seems to be that individuals can't apply for a DBS check anyway, so not possible to do prior to applying for jobs.
Yes, in both my cases my certificate was asked for by my employer in one case and the organisation I was an officer of in the second, both were for different levels of check the employer was a fully detailed check as I was working with children, and the organisation was a basic check.
Old Jun 23rd 2015, 4:53 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

I think that's right
Old Jun 24th 2015, 7:22 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike
I think that's right
For those checks you have to be an organisation registered with the people who do the checks, and there is an annual fee for that.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 7:39 am
Dunroaming back in UK

Originally Posted by mikelincs
For those checks you have to be an organisation registered with the people who do the checks, and there is an annual fee for that.
Yes indeed. I used to have to ring someone in the NGB and get a reference from the organisation when I needed a CRB for my coaching licence and I could then get the form.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a good idea to get a police clearance in the country you are leaving from just in case you have to have this DBS
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

ginger Tom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I would without doubt get a police check from the RCMP its something my wife and I both regret not doing when we left Canada.

We have both been asked to provide proof that we were conviction free whilst we lived in Canada in addition to the UK criminal check (DBS check that has now replaced the CRB).

We tried to get Canadian certificates from England and it was almost impossible as we were asked to have our fingerprints taken and forwarded to the Canadian police. The police in the UK will not take your fingerprints for you and you cannot get your Canadian Police certificate without them.

We would probably have to go back to Canada to have them done.

Although we now have employment it would have been so much easier to have had our police certificates from Canada. My wife was unable to take up one job offer because of it, I was only able to take up mine as I was able to produce my Canadian gun licence and my employer accepted that I must have been without convictions in Canada in order to obtain that. If you wish to work in the Uk on your return I strongly advise you get your police check when you leave. Hope this helps.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much, another thing to add to my rather long list!