Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Uk Citizen Rights At Border Control

Uk Citizen Rights At Border Control

Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

On the road again is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Uk Citizen Rights At Border Control

I know the uk border protection has a bad reputation but hadn't experienced it myself till the other day. It would be an under statement to say how shocked I was at the level of abuse hurled at me by the border agent... All of it had nothing to do with border protection and all to do with personal insults and abuse... 3 days later I'm actually still stunned by it.

For future travel I am determined to be well schooled on how to fight back against such idiots. Can anyone point me to a site(s), other than uk government propaganda, that outlines EU rights of travel and how to protect ourselves against abusive agents.

The abuse was so bad I am planning on talking to a lawyer next week.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:48 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Citizen Rights At Border Control

Originally Posted by On the road again
I know the uk border protection has a bad reputation but hadn't experienced it myself till the other day. It would be an under statement to say how shocked I was at the level of abuse hurled at me by the border agent... All of it had nothing to do with border protection and all to do with personal insults and abuse... 3 days later I'm actually still stunned by it.

For future travel I am determined to be well schooled on how to fight back against such idiots. Can anyone point me to a site(s), other than uk government propaganda, that outlines EU rights of travel and how to protect ourselves against abusive agents.

Were you travelling on a UK passport?..
Old Oct 18th 2014, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Were you travelling on a UK passport?..
yes
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:02 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, if you wouldn't mind providing the details of the situation so it may help others avoid it? thanks

It would be an under statement to say how shocked I was at the level of abuse hurled at me by the border agent... All of it had nothing to do with border protection and all to do with personal insults and abuse... 3 days later I'm actually still stunned by it.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:04 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand how you can really get in a dispute with a UK border agent while travelling on a UK passport. They can't refuse you entry.

Did they ask overly personal questions and it got heated from there?
Were you entering the country with a non-UK spouse?
Did they have any cause to suspect you of illicit behaviour, eg you share a name with someone involved in terrorist activity or were flying back from somewhere like Syria?

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Oct 18th 2014 at 9:07 am.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure a solicitor will be happy to take your case and your money.

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
I don't understand how you can really get in a dispute with a UK border agent while travelling on a UK passport. They can't refuse you entry.

Did they ask overly personal questions and it got heated from there?
Were you entering the country with a non-UK spouse?
Did they have any cause to suspect you of illicit behaviour, eg you share a name with someone involved in terrorist activity or were flying back from somewhere like Syria?
From previous posts, the OP doesn't have a job or the savings to be able to sponsor a non-EU to the UK.

Last edited by formula; Oct 18th 2014 at 9:49 am.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Before this goes off the point of what I'm wanting to find... All I'm looking for is citizen advice sites where one can get information regarding their rights with respect to EU travel so I can be better prepared for the all too common abuse shovelled out by border guards in the UK. I've tried the gov sites and they for the most part appear to be written to frustrate and hinder than anything else.

I'm happy to pay a lawyer £175/hour to bring a professional misconduct civil suit against the agent. I'm not prepared to pay £175 for advice on how to deal with boarder agents when I approach their booth.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:17 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

post 7

https://www.gov.uk/civil-legal-advice

List of Free Legal Advice Clinics

http://www.barprobono.org.uk/

Advice

Last edited by not2old; Oct 18th 2014 at 10:20 am.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:27 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Before this goes off the point of what I'm wanting to find... All I'm looking for is citizen advice sites where one can get information regarding their rights with respect to EU travel so I can be better prepared for the all too common abuse shovelled out by border guards in the UK. I've tried the gov sites and they for the most part appear to be written to frustrate and hinder than anything else.

I'm happy to pay a lawyer £175/hour to bring a professional misconduct civil suit against the agent. I'm not prepared to pay £175 for advice on how to deal with boarder agents when I approach their booth.
Citizens advice bureau might even get you advice for free. Just to say I've never had any problems entering the UK from any passport control people, no matter where I've travelled from.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Citizens advice bureau might even get you advice for free. Just to say I've never had any problems entering the UK from any passport control people, no matter where I've travelled from.
Neither have I or anyone else I know.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 10:34 am
Dichotomus tinker

post # 8 provided you with some leads as requested.

OP, you arrived on a UK passport & was given a hard time

I know the uk border protection has a bad reputation but hadn't experienced it myself till the other day. It would be an under statement to say how shocked I was at the level of abuse hurled at me by the border agent...
Please share the details with us ?

Last edited by not2old; Oct 18th 2014 at 10:43 am.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 3:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
post # 8 provided you with some leads as requested.

OP, you arrived on a UK passport & was given a hard time

Please share the details with us ?
Would certainly be good to knwo what abuse was dished out. I've never had a problem entering the UK either, and the only people I have seen/heard of experiencing problems are pnes who are abusive to the immigration officials. I can't imagine why a UK citizen on a UK passport would have an issue.......
Old Oct 18th 2014, 3:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...ints-procedure is where to complain to. Its not propaganda, its the official site and is where you should complain about abusive agents.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 3:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have been through UK border (sp) control probably at least 200 times and not only have I never had abuse even tossed in my general direction (never mind hurled), I have never seen it hurled at any of the other 100's of travellers on UK and non-UK passports on each occasion. So, that's a big fat zero out of 200,000 traveller contacts with UK border control that I have seen over the years.

So I am really curious to hear the facts, too ...
Old Oct 18th 2014, 3:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I just re-read your posts and can't see where this "common knowledge" is coming from ... links?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.