Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK citizen applying for USA Social Security from within UK

UK citizen applying for USA Social Security from within UK

Old Apr 8th 2021, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

austin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond reputeaustin_d_powers has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK citizen applying for USA Social Security from within UK

Can anyone give a quick list of documents that will be required by the US embassy in London when a British citizen applies for USA Social Security retirement payments to start.
Also how easy is the whole process, will there be any potential tricky steps involved.
Old Apr 8th 2021, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK citizen applying for USA Social Security from within UK

Off top of head:

ID (passport/US driving licence), SSN - then, to prove employment probably tax returns, employers names and addresses, dates of residency and addresses in US, payslips ......
Never applied from UK for US Social Security....
Old Apr 8th 2021, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if it helps you, but I applied via the US Embassy in Chile, where I live. There is a section in the embassy that deals with US citizens requirements, and even though I’m not a US citizen, but an ex permanent resident, they treat you the same as a citizen for that purpose. There was a simple form to complete, and they dont need any emplyments docs or anything, as all that matters is how much you contributed for SS to calculate your pension. The embassy handles all contact with SS, and I have the pension paid directly to my bank in Chile. It works perfectly.
Old Apr 9th 2021, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

osgood will become famous soon enoughosgood will become famous soon enough

They will want an original birth cert,green card[Not a copy}.in my case at social security,they accept registered mail of these documents,due to cv19 closure of public appts..
Old Apr 9th 2021, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

When I applied for my SS - in the US - I had to visit the SS office.
They asked for my passport, proof of where I lived and marriage certificate (my SS is based on husband's contributions).
What they will ask for depends on your circumstances.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ukoneday is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
When I applied for my SS - in the US - I had to visit the SS office.
They asked for my passport, proof of where I lived and marriage certificate (my SS is based on husband's contributions).
What they will ask for depends on your circumstances.
Me too. I had to go in person in San Diego, but maybe with COVID that changed?
It takes a while to get the SSN/EAD once you've applied, so if you can do it ahead of time I would encourage you to do that.
In person the staff were very helpful as I recall. They are not like the immigration people, who can be a bit stern.