Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK Capital Gains Tax when selling overseas home.

Wikiposts

UK Capital Gains Tax when selling overseas home.

Old May 11th 2012, 3:45 am
Just Joined

erictheone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Capital Gains Tax when selling overseas home.

I'm a British citizen, living and working in Singapore for the past ten years, and non-resident for UK tax purposes for all that time. I may return permanently to the UK soon.

I am wondering what the UK tax implications might be, if any, if I sold my Singapore home after I returned to the UK, rather than before? I do not own any home in the UK.

My worst fear is that some or all of the gains in the value of my Singapore home since I bought it in 2007 would be subject to UK capital gains tax, even if I sold it just a few months after returning to the UK.

Does anyone know what the rules are? Thanks.
Old May 11th 2012, 4:19 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Capital Gains Tax when selling overseas home.

Originally Posted by erictheone
I'm a British citizen, living and working in Singapore for the past ten years, and non-resident for UK tax purposes for all that time. I may return permanently to the UK soon.

I am wondering what the UK tax implications might be, if any, if I sold my Singapore home after I returned to the UK, rather than before? I do not own any home in the UK.

My worst fear is that some or all of the gains in the value of my Singapore home since I bought it in 2007 would be subject to UK capital gains tax, even if I sold it just a few months after returning to the UK.

Does anyone know what the rules are? Thanks.
I can't speak for Signapore, but the professional advice that I have been given, from a Canada/UK perspective is:

If I sell my principal residence before leaving Canada there is no CGT payable.

If I don't sell before I leave I need to get a written market evaluation, probably from a realtor, on the day I leave Canada. If my principal residence is then deemed to be in the UK, after the date of leaving Canada, then I will be subject to CGT on the any increase in value following the date I left at the date of sale.. I will not pay CGT on the increase in value from the original date of purchase to date of leaving.

I also have to file a form with the Canadian Revenue Agency.

Hope this makes sense, even though it is not specific to Signapore. Are principal residences exempt from CGT in Signapore?
Old May 11th 2012, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Markusha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lf1
I can't speak for Signapore, but the professional advice that I have been given, from a Canada/UK perspective is:

If I sell my principal residence before leaving Canada there is no CGT payable.

If I don't sell before I leave I need to get a written market evaluation, probably from a realtor, on the day I leave Canada. If my principal residence is then deemed to be in the UK, after the date of leaving Canada, then I will be subject to CGT on the any increase in value following the date I left at the date of sale.. I will not pay CGT on the increase in value from the original date of purchase to date of leaving.

I also have to file a form with the Canadian Revenue Agency.

Hope this makes sense, even though it is not specific to Signapore. Are principal residences exempt from CGT in Signapore?
I am not sure this is correct. Where in the UK CGT rules does it say your acquisition cost is the value on the date of resuming UK tax residence? A quote from your professional adviser would be of interest.
Old May 12th 2012, 1:14 am
Just Joined

erictheone is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks If1 and Markusha for your replies. Soon after I posted to this forum, I sent the same question to what seems to be a free online UK tax advice service, and this is the reply I got:

"Provided you have lived in the Singapore property as your main home since the date of acquisition, if you dispose of it within 3 years after ceasing to use it as the main home, under the UK Principle Private Residence rules, the gain will be exempt from UK taxation, even if you dispose of it as a UK resident."

That seems to make sense and, in my case at least, because I don't have any UK home to return to, there should be no dispute that, by default, my Singapore home will be deemed to be my Principle Private Residence.

By this logic, If1, the same should apply for Canada as well as anywhere else. The complication arises, I guess, if one still owns a UK home when one returns.
Old May 12th 2012, 1:28 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by erictheone
Thanks If1 and Markusha for your replies. Soon after I posted to this forum, I sent the same question to what seems to be a free online UK tax advice service, and this is the reply I got:

"Provided you have lived in the Singapore property as your main home since the date of acquisition, if you dispose of it within 3 years after ceasing to use it as the main home, under the UK Principle Private Residence rules, the gain will be exempt from UK taxation, even if you dispose of it as a UK resident."

That seems to make sense and, in my case at least, because I don't have any UK home to return to, there should be no dispute that, by default, my Singapore home will be deemed to be my Principle Private Residence.

By this logic, If1, the same should apply for Canada as well as anywhere else. The complication arises, I guess, if one still owns a UK home when one returns.
Glad you got your question answered. Our plan is to rent our Cdn home if it does not sell, hence my reference to increase in value after date of departure - clear as mud, I know.

Which online tax service are you using?